Drive cloning issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiggly1

I have been testing out using XXClone to see how it works for migrating a C drive and all it's Windows XP Pro (SP2) system data, programs and data. I connected an old IDE drive to my test computer via an IDE to USB adapter, then did a quick format of the old FAT32 IDE drive. It showed up as "Drive E". I should mention that my test computer also has a FAT32 IDE system drive. I successfully cloned the files over to the old drive (Drive E) with XXClone. Then I turned off my test computer, then physically disconnected it's hard drive, then connected the old drive (Drive E) to the computer, then I tried to boot up with that drive. It would not boot. I just got a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Can Fat32 System volumes even be cloned?

Do I need to somehow change the drive letter from "E" to "C"?

Yes Fat32 can be cloned

But you should start from a clean ie no partition at all Harddrive (just about any boot CD can remove partitions including Windows CD

So you clone from a Harddrive that has the OS (and everything) to a blank non partitioned Harddrive.

By the way, I use Ghost to image but here's a whole lot more ;) https://www.techspot.com/vb/post664079-2.html

I was actually able to remove the partition from within Disk Management. So now my destination drive is showing up as "unallocated" in Disk Management.

However now XXClone can't see it (under the "target volume" drop down menu). Perhaps the free version has limited functionality? Or more than likely I'm missing something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back