Duke Nukem Forever PC requirements released

Emil

Staff

Duke Nukem Forever, the game that became infamous for being delayed indefinitely, has finally received an official set of PC requirements. Your patience has been tried like never before, and it would be a real shame if your gaming rig couldn't even run the game.

As always, the system requirements are broken down into two tiers: Minimum Specifications and Recommended Specifications. Other requirements include: a one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication for initial installation, as well as installing the Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer (only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)

Minimum Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
  • Memory: 1GB
  • Hard Drive: 10GB free
  • Video Memory: 256MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
  • Memory: 2GB
  • Hard Drive: 10GB free
  • Video Memory: 512MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Four months ago, the game was given a set of release dates: May 3, 2011 in North America and May 6, 2011 in the rest of the world. Two months ago, this was pushed back to June 14 in North America, and on June 10 in the rest of the world.

Gamers have waited over a decade to play the official sequel to Duke Nukem. The title was originally announced by 3D Realms in 1997. The project experienced all types of problems, however, and it was passed over to Triptych Games and Gearbox Software in 2009, with multiplayer components provided by Piranha Games.

Half a year ago, Gearbox confirmed that development on the title was being completed. Given how long the game had been in such a state (some 14 years), there were still many skeptics. Then the game was demoed live, but many would still not believe.

Now we have the official system requirements, and we're about a month away from release. Will it finally happen?

Permalink to story.

My prediction is this game will turn out to be a dog. I've read preview articles in PC Gamer and Game Informer magazines and even though they tried to be polite and encouraging, it was pretty clear they were unimpressed with what they saw. The trailer looks very lame too.

I think with the delays, the multiple developers and high expectations - it's just too much to ask for a decent game to come out of it all. I personally won't even consider buying it until it's been out for several weeks where I can read a large amount of professional and user reviews to get a consensus.

Yeah, this thing is just too overhyped. People will end up being disappointed. This game will probably bring nothing new to the table in terms of graphics, mechanics or gameplay.

Its only saving grace would be if they had a great plot, great writing, and great acting, which would cause it to stand out from everything that has been put out in the last decade. And judging by the trailers, I doubt this is the case.

DNF boasts 5x more single player game play then modern warfare. That in itself is worth the buy. Then there is the nostalgia factor. I loved that video it gave me duke nukem 3d flashbacks. I have already preordered this will be like 1 of the only 3 games ill probably actually buy this year.

Of course it cannot live up to the hype. But most people playing this game probably weren't even alive when duke nukem 3d came out. And at that time pc gaming was a small part of the market most people have never played this game and or didn't own a computer back then. Btw they will have a demo.

If they do have as much single player as they say that will be great. Then if they stay along with the feel the last release had this will end up being a pretty epic release. For instance duke tells a boss in duke nukem 3d, "I'm going to rip off your head and sh!t down your throat". Then low and behold after you beat the boss it shows a cinematic of him ripping off his head, then sitting on his kneck whistling reading a newspaper. And that was what 1997 which was pretty damn astounding for its time. If they keep the same feel alive in DNF it will be a hit.

If this game is intended to run great with "Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850", then I predict you'll be able to find it in the bargain bin for $4.99 within a month of its release. I've bought leapfrog games for my nephew that had stricter requirements. I'll pass.

@Wendig0 . You are ignorrant. Crysis 2 is the most graphical advanced game out and its recommend card is only a 8800 GT and the 8800 GTS is almost exactly the same speed. In some cases a 8800GTS is faster. So dont judge a game by its requirements. Thank You!

fraggleki said:
@Wendig0 . You are ignorrant. Crysis 2 is the most graphical advanced game out and its recommend card is only a 8800 GT and the 8800 GTS is almost exactly the same speed. In some cases a 8800GTS is faster. So dont judge a game by its requirements. Thank You!

Reading is fundamental fraggleki. The cards you mentioned are only the minimum to run Crysis 2. The recommended cards are the GTX280 & HD4870, and the highly recommended cards are the GTX560 Ti & HD4870 x2.

BTW, I believe the spelling you were looking for is ignorant.

Crysis 2 is the most graphical advanced game out and its recommend card is only a 8800 GT and the 8800 GTS is almost exactly the same speed. In some cases a 8800GTS is faster. So dont judge a game by its requirements. Thank You!

Crysis2 in its current form is far from being the most graphically intense game. Metro 2033 is likely far more demanding on hardware for example, but its all dependant on the settings, resolution and whether you're using DX9/10/11.

Least thats how I view it anyway.

Remember that metro is strictly single player so its not fair really to compare it to a multiplayer game. I'm thinking it won't be as pretty as crysis 2 but its not far behind. The gameplay and story will make this game shine.

i know that amd dual core optimizer is included in windos, so why to intsal?

You really should not be throwing around the word ignorant..or, as you write 'ignorrant'. Crysis 2 is so far from the most 'graphically advanced game' it's sad. firstly, it's a console port. Secondly it's DX9, a decade old API. Thirdly ..it's a console port. Boy did you buy into Cervat's BS:rolleyes: :)

Pretty lame requirements for such an expected title.

Wendig0: Crysis 2 requirements are not impresive at all.

I think it's sad that everyone's setting this game at such a high level of expectations when we should all be thankful just for the fact that we'll be able to say, "Yes. I've actually played Duke Nukem Forever in its entirety."

I'm only 24, but I've been exposed to, and taken apart of, the many jokes surrounding this development process since 2000 or so. If you're 18 or younger, you're probably a bit confused about why the adults are so excited about this: We grew up on the franchise, and now we're actually going to be able to play Duke Nukem Forever after 10 years of jokes. Not because it's going to be the best game ever.

I have to agree that the recommended specifications are pretty low for such a high profile title. We have 3 year old graphics parts for recommended GPUs, Socket 775 / 939 processors and real kicker is the AMD Dual Core Optimizer. I haven't heard that utility mentioned since my MSI Socket 939 board died years ago.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
real kicker is the AMD Dual Core Optimizer. I haven't heard that utility mentioned since my MSI Socket 939 board died years ago.

Haha, I wonder if that means they probably started the now current build of the game back in 2005 or something.

To be honest, it's probably for the better that this game won't be a milestone app for performance benchmarks. Maybe more people will pick it up then, especially if the multiplayer turns out to be any good.

This will be recalled like "Hey! Let it be like starcraft II and not like duke nukem forever".

Why do people are so obsessed with requirements, I really don't know. Higher requirements don't necessarily translate into better graphics. It may just mean bad programming and less optimizing, which is the norm in PC games unfortunately all these years and I don't really know why people like that. Why they find it logical to spend $500+ on a graphics cards to play a game to the max because its developers are lazy untalented asses.

The argument about Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 is used a lot. In my opinion when the games are in motion (not static screenshots) Crysis 2 outshines both the original Crysis and Metro 2033 by a mile but each to his own. Personally I don't enjoy the low res hunting many people seem to be so fond of lately.

Weather DNF has dated graphics or not should not matter to true Duke fans.
Duke Nukem 3D did not have superior graphics of its time.

What it had was superior character, and I dare say not even one game released since then have lived up to good old Duke!

Comparing it with Crysis is just lame, Crysis had one thing, that is graphics.
The game itself sucks so bad it's not even funny, and in Crysis 2 they made the graphics worse.
Boy do I feel like a horse for not canceling my pre-order of that POS!

Crysis 2's graphics aren't even close to how good Crysis 1's are.

As for the best graphics in the mean time? Nothing compares to how good Metro 2033 looks.

Back