During "Repair/ Install" comp shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixalP

Howdy,

I read some of the top sticky thread but I couldn't find a solution for my problem.

I recently rebuild a computer. Everything is new but the hard disk. I got through the BIOS set up. The old HD has XP on it from the previous computer. When I boot from CD(with XP disk in CD drive), I get the screen offering to Install or Repair Windows. If I don't choose immediately the comp shuts down. If I hit the selection real fast I can choose, but it shuts down as I progress. I've tried both Install and Repair routes, but it keeps happening. I am willing to loose the info on the HD if needed to get it fixed.

Any advice on how to get through the XP install/repair?

Also would a new HD fix this?

Thanks,
Robert

it sounds like a power/failsafe problem..

since you rebuild the pc, recheck that all cables and devices are seated properly including the cpu (reseat everything if you have to). As well as seeing if it has adequate temperature cooling to all devices

check bios settings etc, check that your psu has enough juice to run you whole system (use a psu calculator to get the minimum), and check your using a good quality psu, try going to basics [vga/sound/mobo/cpu/hdd/psu]

oh yeh.. pc specs and any other troubleshooting you've done

sorry if its kinda general or if i've repeated things you've already tried.. just wanna know what stage troubleshooting your upto :)

Very much appreciate your response N30.

I checked all my connections, they are all seated well.

The system runs great prior to entering the Windows set up, it only shuts done at the Install/Repair prompt screens.

The PSU is a 450 watt Raidmax. It came with the case I bought. I don't know how to do the PSU calculator.

My MOBO is a 2.66.

You mentioned checking the BIOS. What would I need to check there?

Robert

Bios you'll need to check that everything is correctly configured - ram settings, overclocks, hdds, devices etc.. and if you got a good mobo, there should be a page where it will tell you the system infos like running temps, cpu temps, voltages etc..

why i said temperatures is because if say the cpu was running real hot (>60-70`C) it would shut itself down to protect the system from catching fire etc... have you tried to turn it back on straigt away after it shut down? if it wont turn on, then it could be teh cpu having not adequate cooling...

a psu calculator (google for one, i dont have the link on me right now sorry) basicaly adds up what hardware you have according on power needs tehn gives you a total.. use that total as a minimum then add 50w or more for headroom is the rule.. but unless you're running 2 SLI vid cards tehn i think 450w would be enough..

oh by the way... what is you're system specs? its not listed on your profile....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back