DVDRW Drive on HP Pavillion ze5700 not recognizing DVD+R discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a HP Pavillion ze5700 w/ a DVD+R burner. The drive seems in working order, and plays DVDs fine, also recognizes CDRs fine, but does not recognize the DVD+RW discs as writable media, any tips?

Details:
HP Pavillion ze5700 Laptop,

unsure of the model on the DVD burner (not labeled outside and I haven't opened it up to take a look - driver automatically DLs as a Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6252, but toshiba drive in an HP comp seems unlikely, tried updating driver/reinstalling from base to no avail)

DVD discs being used (if that matters) are Samsung Pleomax DVD+R 8x

Any tips would be great! thanks!

Yes, your drive could be a Toshiba SD-R6252.

Big companies often use parts from other manufacturers, so no surprise there. This is expcially true if this is a laptop, because HP does not make laptop DVDRWs.. At least not that I'm familiar with. Toshiba is an old pro at it though. :)

The problem you are having isn't uncommon. My bet is the DVD media simply isn't compatible with your burner. You'll need to buy a different brand from now one. Samsung makes pretty good quality media, so this seems less likely than it would be if you were using Princo discs or something like that, but still very likely.

Try a different brand DVD media and let us know the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back