Dyson reveals its first robotic vacuum, the 360 Eye

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dyson robot roomba vacuum robotic vacuum

Renowned vacuum maker Dyson on Thursday announced its first robotic vacuum cleaner, the 360 Eye. The automated gadget is packed full of the type of technology that should enable Dyson to successfully compete against rival iRobot and its popular Roomba line in the robotic vacuum space.

The robot gets its name from the 360 degree panoramic camera mounted on the top which allows it to literally see all of its surroundings at once. The camera helps the cleaner keep track of its position and determine where it should clean next.

To get there, the 360 Eye uses tank-style treads constructed of corrugated rubber. Dyson claims this allows the robot to maintain traction on virtually any surface without causing any damage.

The 360 Eye is equipped with the Dyson Digital Motor V2 which uses digital pulse technology to enable it to spin at up to 78,000 rpm. Together with Dyson’s most compact cyclone technology to date, capable of generating centrifugal forces that can capture particles as small as pollen and mold, the 360 Eye claims to generate the highest suction of any robot vacuum.

Dyson also created a mobile app, the Dyson Link, that can be used to control and schedule when your vacuum goes to work. The app automatically activates your two year warranty and can also download software updates and troubleshooting guides.

Given all of this technology, the 360 Eye is a bit larger (and taller) than your average robot vac. That means it won’t be able to slip under your couch or other low-lying furniture like others can.

Additionally, the unit’s battery is only good for up to 30 minutes before it needs a recharging. Depending on the size of your home, that may or may not be long enough to get the job done.

The Dyson 360 Eye is expected to launch in Japanese markets early next year. No word yet on pricing, however.

Permalink to story.

- It is too tall to get under a tea table.
- 30 minutes battery isn't gonna cut it.
- 78000rpm promises to wake the bejeezus.

If I were into this kind of toys, I would just get Roomba 880.

Well, if their price schedule on this one is like their others, the cost will be at least 2x of the current market. With that cost, a limited cleaning area due to size and short battery life it dosen't sound too promising. I did not see if it recharged itself. If so it might get around the 30 minute limit if recharge isn't too long but frankly I would have expected a little better "first showing" out of the Dyson Co.

"Ok Dyson 360, Do the stairs........................mmmm..................ok...................oh forget it!

I agree with the first poster. Battery life hindered by the 78,000 rpm super suction? I don't know if the Roomba has an app, but I like the idea. Like someone said if it went back to the charge station and charged itself ... airless charging... that would be something then it could have your home clean by the time you come back, well downstairs.
The 360 eye makes me feel it doubles as a security bot checking for intruders, or what your pets get up to. Those cat orgies will finally be uncovered and on youtube.
What if theres an app so that someone can peer through the camera and see if your home, what goods to steal?

I only use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out of my computer cases, remote controls, and guitar cases. More often than not, I take them outside and blow them out with compressed air.

With the two cats I have, and their clumping clay litter, that thing would choke to death before it finished a single room.

Besides, if you leave the floors dirty enough, and never straighten up, nobody will come visit. So, you won't have to stop farting to entertain and feed them.:D

If I could afford one, I suppose I'd buy one. Then, every once in a while, I'd blow the dust off it with my air compressor..

If they aren't using that eye for a pet poop/puke detector and steer the device clear of that they are missing a huge opportunity. Nobody wants a higher quality more expensive Roomba that is still going to spread **** all over your floors.

If they aren't using that eye for a pet poop/puke detector and steer the device clear of that they are missing a huge opportunity. Nobody wants a higher quality more expensive Roomba that is still going to spread **** all over your floors.
You do realize Dyson only sells because of the guy's cool British accent, right?

And truth to tell, all he's saying is, "my vacuum cleaner sucks harder than your vacuum cleaner".

Besides, think of spreading poop all over the carpet as, "feeding the rug bacteria".

So we're clear, this "nobody" never wanted a Roomba either.

Last edited:
The amazing thing is there are ignoramuses out there that'll drop money on it. I often wonder how people with that kind of mentality get the money from.

I can see Dyson is as hated in this forum as Apple. If I were to believe it's actual people writing here, I'd imagine people in America are very... hmm... intellectually handicapped. I mean, seriously, judging a vacuum cleaner by its ability to not choke on dog poo on your floor?! I'll never believe Americans don't clean **** off their floors before vacuuming them. And the guy who only uses a vacuum to clean his computer cases? Is he from Deponia? My gosh... If those are the best arguments the PR agencies could come up with, the vacuum must be perfect.

I can see Dyson is as hated in this forum as Apple. If I were to believe it's actual people writing here, I'd imagine people in America are very... hmm... intellectually handicapped. I mean, seriously, judging a vacuum cleaner by its ability to not choke on dog poo on your floor?! I'll never believe Americans don't clean **** off their floors before vacuuming them. And the guy who only uses a vacuum to clean his computer cases? Is he from Deponia? My gosh... If those are the best arguments the PR agencies could come up with, the vacuum must be perfect.
Every time I think of Dyson, I think of some pompous Brit, claiming the dog poo on his carpet doesn't stink. Or for that matter, his either.
Or am I intellectually handicapped because I don't want to take out a second mortgage just to pay for a vacuum cleaner?

And when my computers are really dirty, I take them out front and blow them out with an airline. Sucking the dirt out of the inlets in just interim nonsense when I don't feel like pulling the system apart. I just use an industrial compressor, with an inline filter/dryer. Or should I sit around biting my nails because I've run out of $8.00 a can, canned air.

You've been watching way, way, too many TV commercials, if you think you can't have dirty floors, and still eat off clean dishes.

Besides, if people need to wipe their feet after they leave my house, they won't come back. And IMHO, that's a good thing. I have very little time or need for guests, either here, or at home.

Last edited:
I mean, seriously, judging a vacuum cleaner by its ability to not choke on dog poo on your floor?! I'll never believe Americans don't clean **** off their floors before vacuuming them.
Are you f-ing kidding me? Do you not understand how these devices work and what people that have them set them up to do? Let me educate you here a bit. These things are automated, and can be programmed to run when nobody is home - you know, when people actually go to work and leave the house? Some of these people also have pets, and on occasion sometimes these pets have "accidents". Currently, if your pet takes a crap and the Roomba is scheduled to clean that room, it just runs over the crap and then proceeds to spread it everywhere it goes.

Back