EA is reportedly considering turning Battlefield 2042 into a free-to-play model

jsilva

In context: By now, you're probably aware that Battlefield 2042 didn't meet fan or sales expectations. The game's launch was rough, and two months after, things haven't gotten much better as the player base drops steadily. However, EA hasn't quit on the game yet, as they're reportedly evaluating options, including changing the game into a free-to-play model.

Two months after being considered one of the worst-rated titles of all time on Steam, Battlefield 2042 remains at the bottom of Steam user ratings despite DICE launching various patches to fix the game. Sure, they brought noticeable gameplay improvements, like better hit detection, nerfs to vehicles, and other welcome additions. However, they don't pack any groundbreaking new features to impress players.

Besides introducing weekly missions, some skins (that people are not happy with), fixes, and QOL adjustments, the game remains mostly the same. Since its launch, no new gameplay content has been added, making players discontent with their purchase, leading many to refund the game or just stop playing it altogether.

EA is reportedly evaluating its options to fight the decreasing player base and interest in the game. One such idea is to turn it into a free-to-play title "in some capacity."

Drastic measures such as these are not entirely unusual. Not long ago, we witnessed PUBG: Battlegrounds moving to a free-to-play model, compensating those who've bought the game when it was still available for purchase. If EA and DICE make BF 2042 a free-to-play game, it will make sense to do something similar for those who paid for it.

Don't forget to check our Battlefield 2042 CPU benchmark in 128-player battles, including the latest Intel and AMD processors. We also have a 30+ GPU benchmark featuring a range of graphics, down from Nvidia's GTX 1650 series up to the RTX 3090 and 3080 series.

Battlefield 2042 is currently available for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC through Steam and EA Play/Origin starting at $59.99 (last-gen versions and PC) and $69.99 (current-gen versions).

Permalink to story.

If they created decent games people would buy them. But they churn out rubbish like this and madden and then seem surprised when it doesn't sell as well as they expected.

The user score for Battlefield 2042 is 2.8!
The user score for Madden 2021 is 0.2!
The user score for FIFA 2021 is 1.3!

These are spectacularly bad scores.

Even if it does go free to play, I wonder if people will play it. It's absolute garbage.

Also, for people who did buy it, bit of smack in the face to make it free so close after launch.

If they created decent games people would buy them. But they churn out rubbish like this and madden and then seem surprised when it doesn't sell as well as they expected.

The user score for Battlefield 2042 is 2.8!
The user score for Madden 2021 is 0.2!
The user score for FIFA 2021 is 1.3!

These are spectacularly bad scores.

Clearly EA is killing it! Now they just need a scandal to tank their stock price so Sony can acquire them.

It’s funny how the two big releases this past year: Cyberpunk and Battlefield, I’ve managed to have positive experiences with them while console players and budget desktops haven’t.

Battlefield 2042 definitely wasn’t as good as battlefield 4 or battlefield 3 but it’s definitely improving as time goes on.

What they really need is more maps because otherwise I’m having a good time with it.

It’s funny how the two big releases this past year: Cyberpunk and Battlefield, I’ve managed to have positive experiences with them while console players and budget desktops haven’t.

Battlefield 2042 definitely wasn’t as good as battlefield 4 or battlefield 3 but it’s definitely improving as time goes on.

What they really need is more maps because otherwise I’m having a good time with it.
Does your 3090 fix the garbage content and game breaking bugs? Or do they never occur on your unhackable XP box?

I paid $90 for this game for the gold... biggest disappointment ever... Haven't played it since late November.

giphy.gif

People will buy anything these days and they're not buying this game, just imagine how bad it is then.

Dice should make it F2P, they're not gonna lose much since it's irrelevant already.

I don't like when people get done like this but then again they deserve it when they preorder games or buy them early.

I'm still enjoying the game a lot and could not care less if the entire game was made F2P. I live in the Oceania region, and battlefield titles from BF1 have lost much of the player base after a few months. So plenty of price cutting or making the game F2P even if only aspects of it is welcome if it brings in more players, meaning more faces to shoot off.

Releasing a map editor would also give the game longevity.

gamers are dumber than a bag of hammers, they'd buy cancer if it came with a pre-order bonus.
I'm not speaking on behalf of all gamers here but you have to admit, the games industry is one of the rare industry's where marketing can be a complete lie, absolutely false in every single way and for some reason, there is no regulation that kicks in and fines the companies.

If British airways advertises a plane ride from London to Paris for X amount of money, but actually was a coach ride and you had to pay extra for the ferry to actually complete the journey. People would be livid, outraged and they not only would get their money back, but a comission or some governing body would kick in and fine British airways for false advertising.

Game companies just get away with it. I don't understand why.

I'm not speaking on behalf of all gamers here but you have to admit, the games industry is one of the rare industry's where marketing can be a complete lie, absolutely false in every single way and for some reason, there is no regulation that kicks in and fines the companies.

If British airways advertises a plane ride from London to Paris for X amount of money, but actually was a coach ride and you had to pay extra for the ferry to actually complete the journey. People would be livid, outraged and they not only would get their money back, but a commission or some governing body would kick in and fine British airways for false advertising.

Game companies just get away with it. I don't understand why.
Well, as you quoted:

gamers are dumber than a bag of hammers
Gamers, as a collective group, are total m0r0ns, some of the biggest consoomers on the planet, huffing planetary bodies worth of copium to justify how new games are like soo good and worth paying $120+ when they are soulless empty husks of what we got 20 years ago.

Companies can lie, cheat, and steal, spit in their customers faces, rip them off at every opportunity, and abandon their products a year later and gamers will line up to consoom their newest product year after year. The video game industry brought in psychologists to design their games to be addictive, shoved monetization and artificial walls everywhere to drive you to spend money, burn down any franchise that is beloved, and people buy this grey sludge by the millions.

For every one of us that is outraged, there are 20 that will slurp up the sewage and beg for more in the form of spending billions of dollars on microtransactions. That's why nothing is every done, we are sadly the loud minority that often gets ignored.
I'm guilty. :(
RIP your wallet.

Surprising how they made the master piece that is Bf1 and fail miserably twice, the gameplay is awful, the graphics are rubbish, it runs bad even on a high end system. The balance is rubbish (have they nerfed the stupid littlebird yet?), tanks on roofs?

Free to play never comes free; it's usually within a model of micropayments or buying skills / upgrades / looking kit.

The free version is the lowest of the lowest class and usually requires lots of hours of play to even unlock ****.

Back