Elon Musk is 'highly confident' SpaceX will land humans on Mars by 2026. What do you think about that point? Is it real at all?

According to the information I`ve recently found, Space is about to launch a robotic expedition to Mars in 2022. And in 2024 the first humans are about to be sent to Mars ( according to the information I`ve recently found) . Has the method how to get to the Mars has already been made? Have petrol issues and the way back have already been solved?

I doubt that this will happen so soon. I think that so much homework is still left for SpaceX to be done before dreaming about trips to Mars

I doubt that this will happen so soon. I think that so much homework is still left for SpaceX to be done before dreaming about trips to Mars
I do agree with you. Space X has a lot of stuff to do but just have a look at the progress they have done for these years. The biggest issue in travelling to Mars is how to take the appropriate amount of fuel to get there and come back. And it seems to me that Space X has solved this problem somehow.
Musk has determined that the water ice locked in the Martian substrata is fuel. As such Musk is building the first industrial-scale water separator, smaller than a submarine, to create breathable Oxygen and Hydrogen which can be liquified and turned into fuel. After which the astronauts can drink the dirt.
Now if Musk could just figure out how to launch the water separator and Hydrogen and Oxygen containment tanks and processing hardware that all together is about as large as a submarine at least.

I also would absolutely be thrilled with humans on Mars.
I'm no planetary scientist, but I've read about a couple of problems that don't seem to get much press.
Mars has no iron core, hence no protective magnetic field to shield humans from Solar radiation.
Spacecraft also lack sufficient shielding if the trip to Mars is long.
This article (cited at the end) states from 1970 to 2000 it cost $18,500 per kilo put into orbit. Thanks to SpaceX the Falcon 9 was at $2,700/kg. Falcon Heavy knocks this down to $1,400/kg. That's real progress.
(48th International Conference on Environmental Systems ICES-2018-81, 8-12 July 2018, Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Things that Musk has promised as being "date certain", have mostly never materialized. If memory serves, the lag from date promised to date delivered, averages around 3 years. Accordingly, one should expect a longer delay on a much bigger prediction. That, (IMO), pushes the date back to 2029, if not later.

How about if we ponder existentialism for a bit:

"If a TV camera falls in the forest, will Musk end up in front of it"?

Back