Encrypted Files on External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Acer Aspire E360 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. My computer was running really slow, so I decided to re-install windows. I backed up my files onto my 1TB Seagate External Hard Drive using Seagate's backup software. Once everything was backed up, I re-installed windows. When I went to copy my old files from my external hard drive, I realized that the folder containing my music was encrypted (the folder was highlighted green). When I tried to copy them over to my internal hard drive, I got an error saying "Error Copying File or Folder, Cannot copy 'file name': Access Denied. Make sure that the disk is not full (which it is not) or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." When I right click a file that is encrypted and click properties>advanced>details, it shows the name of my computer before I re-installed windows along with its thumbprint. I've tried using decrypting software but i keep getting errors in all of those. I've also tried opening the files in a different operating system (ubuntu) but it still didn't work. I would like to figure out a way to decrypt the files and be able to put them on my iPod.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone using EFS (Encrypted File System) must use the Windows' tools that specifically backs up their encryption keys BEFORE they somehow lose their keys (e.g. disk / file corruption). Failure to do so results in files i have yet to see anyone recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back