ERUNT Hiv-backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

I should probably be addressing this question to the ERUNT developer, but people here are more responsive and explain things clearly. And I did read the tool’s “README”, searched this board, even gogled before posting.

On the recommendation of TechSpot, I use ERUNT for registry backup, and have chosen the portable version, which does not require installation.

Now, inside the backup folder C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT, in addition to the expected backup folders named after the date, I also see a folder named Hiv-backup. It has similar composition and is of no lesser size. I assume it has to do with registry hives.

But what is this “Hiv-backup” folder really, of what use and when do I use it?

ERUNT creates a backup of your registry the first time you boot up every day. It saves 30 copies of your registry so if something goes bad, you can replace today's registry with yesterdays. (note: I copied this from a Google search, I wanted to get a clear answer ;) )

Well, thanks for the response kimsland, but I clarify that my question is not what ERUNT does, but how does the Hiv-backup folder differ from the other ERUNT backup folders named after the date. It has a different name.

As I said, there are backup folders with the date, but also a Hiv-backup folder. I asked specifically about this latter folder.

By the way, I don't use the automatic backup on first time I boot up every day.

ERUNT creates a backup of your registry the first time you boot up every day.
Although this feature may (or may not) be disabled
The idea is that your complete Registry (ie Start->Run->Regedit to view this) Is backed up. ie the Hive is backed up

This Hive, (Hiv-backup folder) may include drivers as well

By the way I probably wouldn't even use this program, if you ever try (try being the word) to recover your complete registry Hive, it probably won't even work! Recovering these Hives is extremely difficult. Most users just run Repairs on Windows if required

Best to keep a clean system, and continue to backup your data externally, often

It is from Erunt but is created and named by ComboFix using Erunt.

Still a good and usable backup if needed. But after it gets old enough as it is not updated delete it in a few weeks.

Mike

Thanks mflynn, your answer ties up with the events and the date of this Hiv-backup file and answers my question.

It crossed my original reply, hence this edit.

kimsland's advice “to keep a clean system, and continue to backup data externally, often” is also sound.

Bob when we were working on your issue we ran ComboFix, ComboFix used Erunt and ComboFix created the Hiv-backup using Erunt!

ComboFix uses Erunt because of its reliability to backup the registry. I have had to resort to Erunt many times with my 840 client computers and it has never failed. System restore did fail in a lot of these and Erunt was there for me.

I highly advise you keep it and let it run and hope you never need it.

I would not be without it! It is one of those best of the best that everyone should have!

It is not complicated. So delete the Hiv-backup if you need the space and it makes you feel better!:)

Mike

Loud and clear mflynn, I shall do everything you advise!

There seems to have been some crossing of posts in this thread. In fact, I had edited my previous post when I saw your reply.

Since you are here, I’ll ask another question.

ERUNT says that you can make a backup before installing a new program and if you don’t like the program afterwards, you can remove all its traces. Would you advise me to do that? If so, first uninstall the program and then restore the registry?

Yes run Erunt from Program Files it will name the backup as the date.

Like C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\2-11-2009

I would edit it to say C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\2-11-2009-the program name I am installing.

And yes I would uninstall first and do a windows search for any residues left after the uninstall and delete them. Then do the restore.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back