Essential Apps You Should Install on a New PC Running Windows or macOS

I noticed you mentioned zipping utilities as one thing you used to install but no longer do. I find 7zip and it's right-click context menu function to be indispensable. It works especially nice to make things like huge text files or word docs that I need to save for a long time smaller on my cloud storage. Zip it and store it forever with it not taking up too much room. I have also used 7zip for making install files smaller since I use the non-pay version of cloud storage and use it to transfer programs to install instead of finding it online, signing up again and re-downloading to each individual machine I service. Just works must quicker when anything is nice and zipped up for me.

I also don't care for Windows built-in handling of PDF files always and have some utilities for dealing more proficiently with them. It works basically in a pinch but I prefer other methods as well as Sumatra PDF for reading PDF files much faster than anything built in to Windows. I guess that doesn't make them indispensable but just convenient.

Another I use is MSI afterburner or (AMD)OverDrive utilities to keep the fan turned on at a low speed to deal with the heat especially on laptops. Good list though.

I used to steer people towards Mozilla Thunderbird for email, but it's just not very nice to look at & it has issues importing contacts, finding correct server settings, etc....

Then I ran across the excellent "Em-Client" (clunky name, though). It looks clean ( a lot like WLM), has three different theme colors & integrated calendar. If you're moving away from WLM or Thunderbird, Em-Client does a great job of properly importing contacts. Best of all, it 99% of the time connects & gets your settings right the first go. If it has any issues, there's a diagnostic that actually fixes things!

http://www.emclient.com/dist/latest/setup.msi

Once installed, go back to the website for the free license: http://www.emclient.com/free-license

It's free for up to two email addresses, for personal use. Activate the license via the help menu in the program.

The essentials I always start with on a fresh PC:

* Chrome
* VLC
* Far Manager
* Node.js / NVM
* Source Tree

For installing all these apps at once, I'd recommend Ninite. For screenshots, I'd recommend ShareX instead. It's open source, has lots of features and is very customizable. For cleanup, I'd recommend BleachBit instead. It's more lightweight and open source.

Atom (opensource) is better than:
  • Notepad++
    • Llacks quality dark themes, and even if one spends hours customizing for a dark theme, text will still show up as black upon opening most files for the first time
    • Lack of plugins, as it only has ~75 compared to Atom's thousands
    • Lacks development by user base
  • Sublime
    • Must be purchased for use, at which point its comparable to Atom
  • Atom and it's configuration files/plugins are also available across Linux, Mac, and Windows (Notepad++ is not, Sublime is)
    • All one needs to do is copy their .atom directory across platforms to maintain all settings and plugins, negating the need to reinstall plugins and reconfigure settings when crossing OS platforms.
7-Zip (opensource) is easily the best compression manager
  • Has a far superior compression algorithm than Windows ZIP, WinRAR, or WinZIP
  • Able to access most kinds of compression files, including Windows' ESD & WIM files
    • This comes in handy for large ESD/WIM files, as it negates the need to wait for DISM to mount the image if one simply needs access to a single, or few, nested files
    • This is beneficial if one works between Unix based and Windows OSes, as tar and gzips can be accessed on Windows.
  • Only major downside is the author has refused to implement HTTPS for it's site, but most especially for the downloads.
    • One can download over HTTPS via SourceForge, however malware is known to be on SourceForge, which is why many, if no most, Internet Security Suites block, or warn, users prior to loading the site

Last edited:
For developers one of the most recommended and popular tools right now is Visual Studio Code, it is far superior to Atom and Notepad++. Sublime is a special case because some people like it's performance on slow machines.

"Also, there's stuff we used to install but we normally don't anymore: zipping utilities"
Like many others above, I'd also add 7-zip as "essential". Just because Windows can open zip files doesn't make it the best for creating them.

No mention of Mp3s. What do you all use? I'm still using an old version of Winamp, still my favorite mp3 player 20 years later.
I'm also still using exactly the same Winamp. For local media playback, I never did see any reason to 'replace' it with anything 10x the size...

QuickPar
WinRar
JRiver Media Player
PowerDVD 17 for Blu-ray playback (used to use VLC with SlySoft)
I don't have TV by choice so my computer is my home entertainment system (so that's why I watch Blu-ray's on it instead of a TV and standalone player).
I'm curious why some people poop on VLC compared to Media Player Classic. FOMO here

I don't work, nor am I ever expected to, so I don't need work stuff.
edit: as a rule I don't use default Windows apps.so I don't know about them.

First things that I install are:

Firefox as my browser, then never touch Explorer/Edge again lol I used to actually use Safari until they stopped updating it for Windows.
Ifranview as a photo viewer
MPC-HC for videos
7zip for compressed files
Notepad ++ as a text editor
Calibre for ebooks
SuperAntiSpyware (self explanatory)
CCleaner
Malwarebytes and my AV of choice
Free Alarm Clock
For music, I bounce between WinAmp and WMP, depending on my mood lol

Of course there are other odds and ends that I prefer as well, but not, "essentials".
I see some interesting suggestions both in the article and in the comments here, so I'm going to check those out as well :)

I agree with those who support Libreoffice - its maintained a sane UI unlike the mess that MS Office has become. I also LOL'd heartily at the claim of not needing a third party antivirus. I guess the writer(s) have somehow avoided the news of numerous site hacks over the past few years, keyloggers in supposed legitimate software, etc..and that's to say nothing of drive-by malware. Malwarebytes is tempting as a second line of defense but its got the slowest scanner known to man and its far too aggressive - when it come to false positives it spews out more fake news than CNN. AVG and Avast offer free antivirus that humiliates anything Microsoft has..just be sure to go into their configs and uncheck the ad pop-ups. Some other invaluable programs I like:

* Unchecky: stops many bloatware/sneakware installations cold. You owe it to yourself to install this.
* Daemon Tools Lite v.4.491: this is arguably the last good version of this classic virtual CD/DVD software. Nice if you can find it or still have a copy. Note: this version (and several others) included Opencandy spyware. If you're getting virus warnings while downloading just disable your antivirus till its finished then RE-enable before running the actual installation..your a/v should block the Opencandy part. If you're NOT getting warnings at some point then your a/v is rubbish. The best free alternative to DT that I've found is VirtualCloneDrive (I guess Germans made that name, heh) but it doesn't handle MDF files.
* Media Player Classic, possibly as part of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Seriously, VLC is a spastic pile of crap next to this masterpiece.
* Foxit PDF Reader. I personally stick with ver 6.x as it was friendlier and didn't try to push useless online features.
* Winamp: No equal, period. How I wish someone would obtain and update this legend but without ruining it.
* Firefox: the newest is fine for most folks but 55.2 is the the last good version for power users. There's also Waterfox which tries to support many classic addons that Mozilla broke with its moronic, suicidal obsession with copying Chrome almost verbatim.
* XNViewer: the best graphic file viewer around, plus it has some editing features.
* Winrar: like 7Zip but friendlier and more versatile. Worth buying, honestly.
* Syncback: if you need a highly configurable file backup solution this is among the best. Has free version and paid options with more features.
* Acronis True Image 2014: yes, I'm still using this version for system backup/recovery because the later ones were awful. I don't even install it - I just use the bootable flash drive to backup twice a month (although if you DO install it the scheduler seems fairly reliable). I've tried other partition backups and found them unstable, unreliable, lacking in basic features and so on. The only real alternative I've found is Norton Ghost 15 which hasn't been updated in eons. I'm still on Windows 7 so its possible that both True Image 2014 and Ghost may not be supported on newer Windows versions. I suspect the boot media will still work fine if you've partitioned your drives to older standards (and if you're clueless about such things you probably should just stick to Windows Backup/Restore).
* Winsplit Revolution: an old piece of shareware that's handy for those who like to have control over their desktop layout. Aquasnap is a pretty good alternative.

I noticed you mentioned zipping utilities as one thing you used to install but no longer do. I find 7zip and it's right-click context menu function to be indispensable. It works especially nice to make things like huge text files or word docs that I need to save for a long time smaller on my cloud storage. Zip it and store it forever with it not taking up too much room. I have also used 7zip for making install files smaller since I use the non-pay version of cloud storage and use it to transfer programs to install instead of finding it online, signing up again and re-downloading to each individual machine I service. Just works must quicker when anything is nice and zipped up for me.

I also don't care for Windows built-in handling of PDF files always and have some utilities for dealing more proficiently with them. It works basically in a pinch but I prefer other methods as well as Sumatra PDF for reading PDF files much faster than anything built in to Windows. I guess that doesn't make them indispensable but just convenient.

Another I use is MSI afterburner or (AMD)OverDrive utilities to keep the fan turned on at a low speed to deal with the heat especially on laptops. Good list though.

The right click menu in 7zip is pretty common among compression software. I know for a fact that WinRar has it as well. I've tried both utilities and they are both great. The UI in WinRar is a bit better although it is software that costs money.

Utilities I would add to this list

- FileMenu Tools For cleaning up and customizing the right click menu
- Ultimate Windows Tweaker For customizing windows
- Fences For people who like a good looking and organized desktop

I would recommend if you want a fast solution, Ninite to grab everything updated and have it automatically installed. It grabbed Steam, Firefox, Notepad++, Spybot, etc all for a quick install. If anything isn't updated, you can bet they will do their best to keep everything up-to-date.

To CCleaner add CCEnhancer and in its settings, select trim after update.

Also among cleaners is Privazer. Do a full image backup before running it for the first time. I've been using it for years without trouble but its thoroughness is initially a bit scary. CCleaner and Privazer will each find different things.

F.lux is a nifty little app that shifts the color of your computer's display to adapt to the time of day and become easier on your eyes. If you like to work at night, F.lux is a godsend.
There's one integrated into Windows 10. In Settings go to Display and there you have "Night Light".

Also, one program I would recommend is "Everything". It finds any file on your hard drive in an instant as you type it. Whenever I delete a program and it leaves stuff behind I search it up in Everything and delete the remains, it's really neat.

Back