Expect to see plenty of single-player, narrative-driven games on the PS5

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: In a world where the most popular games are dominated by multiplayer genres such as Battle Royals and MOBAs, will single-player, narrative-driven experiences become increasingly rare? Not according to one Sony exec, who says the company is committed to solo titles.

In an interview with PlayStation Blog, PlayStation Worldwide Studios boss Hermen Hulst was asked about the studio’s vision of the future, and whether it’s going into the next generation consoles and beyond.

“We’re very committed to dedicated hardware, as we were before,” he said. “We’re gonna continue to do that. And we’re very committed to quality exclusives. And to strong narrative-driven, single-player games.”

The PlayStation is famed for its wealth of great single-player exclusives: Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted, and Marvel’s Spider-Man have all helped the PlayStation 4 sell over 108 million units across its lifetime, so it’s little surprise to learn that Sony isn’t changing its strategy of focusing on these type of games.

The confirmation will be good news for PC owners who prefer playing games solo. In the same interview, Hulst confirmed a port of Horizon: Zero Dawn was coming to the platform, joining other former Sony exclusives such as Death Stranding, which arrives on PC this June 2. Hopefully, this will mean more Sony games, including future PS5 titles, coming to PC, though Hulst warned we won't be spoilt for choice.

"To maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC," he said.

Permalink to story.

Will they all be boring though? other than H:ZD and uncharted, the other games are dull as dirt.

tlou is a movie that you participate in, I play games for the power fantasy not to watch a film, its possible to have sweet gameplay and a story, look at doom 2016.

We all have different tastes. I've enjoyed the one time play through on all the sony exclusives I've played. Uncharted series have always been great the first time around, but trying to play them again really shows off the dated and boring combat. Nothing but wave after wave of combat, that honestly dont feel as fun the second time around. With no change to the combat the entire game. This can be said about most of sony's exclusives. Spiderman was great the first time, but I have no lust to play it again. I liked it, but it was not Arkham for me. The First two Arkham games have a place in my heart. God of War I felt started off too slow, but a great game. Halo is one of the few games that does the whole, wave after wave of enemies and still makes it fun to play through it again and again. Same with Doom.

I'm older now, I don't have a bunch of time on my hands. I love RPG's but just can't do 40+ hr games anymore. I love Sony for giving me plenty of single play through games I can beat in a weekend. As if I cant do it in a weekend, I've probably stop playing it all together. H:ZD was like that for me, I loved every moment but things happen and I never got more than 80% through the story.

Sometimes I do just want a game to be a 7-9hr long film.... Sometimes I don't want to do a bunch of dumb fetch quests when I just want to do the story quick and be done. I just beat the new gears of war game last month on my xbox, loving game pass ultimate, it was about as long as I would like in a video game. Was able to do it in a single weekend, while still doing most of the side optional missions. Someday I'll be able to finish the new borderlands or outerworlds, but I've already had big gaps in play time. Hard to keep track of what is going on.

I do wish I was in my early 20's again, being able to spend 100+ hr on games like skyrim. Sadly a career , kids, and family gets in the way of videogames. I'm glad sony is still catering to people like me. Nintendo for sure does, I've used my switch more than my other gaming device for the last two years.

I will be getting all consoles, just like I always do. They are cheap anyways.

Will they all be boring though? other than H:ZD and uncharted, the other games are dull as dirt.

tlou is a movie that you participate in, I play games for the power fantasy not to watch a film, its possible to have sweet gameplay and a story, look at doom 2016.
The millions of players that enjoyed these games prove you otherwise.

If slower games aren't your thing then I suggest you stick with fast paced shooters like CS:GO. I can enjoy both CS:GO and TLOU since one day I might want something slow to chill and in another I might want to play something very competitive.

As someone who plays multi player online games on PC. I find Sony's first party games on PlayStation brilliant. I will always buy their games.

I recently started watching playthroughs of PS4 titles on youtube after hearing about how good some of the games were. I've been amazed, Last of Us, HZD, God of War 4, Detroit Become Human, hooked me immediately. So glad HZD and DBH are coming to PC. I still may get PS5 as I doubt Last of US and God of War will arrive on PC and Last of Us 2 is coming.

I recently started watching playthroughs of PS4 titles on youtube after hearing about how good some of the games were. I've been amazed, Last of Us, HZD, God of War 4, Detroit Become Human, hooked me immediately. So glad HZD and DBH are coming to PC. I still may get PS5 as I doubt Last of US and God of War will arrive on PC and Last of Us 2 is coming.
Spiderman was my highlight that game was so fun.

I will have to try Spiderman I heard good things. But the Uncharted series had me hooked from the original demo on ps3. The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon:ZD, Detroit:BH, have all been rather decent stories.

Compared to FFxv which I found to be instantly dull. I can't get with the new combat systems and the stories are, well the whole thing just feels complex like its trying to be clever, and fails.

Back