Explorer.exe (ieframe.dll) Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting the following error when I am in the middle of typing an address in the Run command (start menu>run): "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The error signature is: AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ieframe.dll ModVer: 7.0.6000.16441 Offset: 000c83b3
I think this error started to occur after installing a windows update. I have Windows XP Pro SP2 with IE 7 installed. Please let me know if anyone knows the solution. Thank you.

ok, run->explorer fails.

what happens if you click My Computer, right-click your HD and pull down to Explore?

hum; follow-up. I'm on XP/Pro SP2 fully updated and I DO NOT HAVE IEFRAME.DLL
explore.exe is also 6.00.2900.2180

consider running HiJackThis

jobeard said:
hum; follow-up. I'm on XP/Pro SP2 fully updated and I DO NOT HAVE IEFRAME.DLL
explore.exe is also 6.00.2900.2180

consider running HiJackThis
Hmm...

Do you (jobeard) have IE7? ieframe reminds me of internet explorer frame, which if you don't have, and don't have IE7, must be part of IE7 (since the OP has IE7)...

What happens if you get rid of IE7, OP? Or just rename ieframe.dll to something else (just add .old to it or something) to see what would happen...

oops! major point -- I don't have IE7 -- and hardly ever use IE6 either :)

jobeard said:
oops! major point -- I don't have IE7 -- and hardly ever use IE6 either :)
Ha, I'm only guessing... but, you know... ie = internet explorer, so it'd be only logical ;)

I don't have any problem with right clicking on HD and choosing Explore. It only happens by starting to type in the Run, and when Windows is about to bring suggested addresses (or the recent typed addresses). I realized today that this begins to happen after starting Windows Internet Explorer 7, meaning if I don't use IE 7 it doesn't happen. I don't think this would be a IE7 bug since I know many people who use it without having any problem. Thanks for your suggestions. I hope I get the solution soon ;)

choose which version you wish to use ALL the time.
Launch that version and make it the DEFAULT browser (if that's what you want).

If you're a Firefox, Netscape, or Opera user, then by all means DO NOT to this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back