Explorer.exe RAM problems

ramonsterns

Hey guys,

Basically, I've been having RAM Problems.

I have 12gb of RAM and two days ago all of it was being used up for no reason. Nothing registered under processes or resource monitor, I had no clue why all 12gb of my RAM was being used.

After some fiddling, I recreated the issue.

I recently bought an external hard drive and put all my movies, pictures, and music into it to free up HDD space. When I opened the movie folder, my RAM usage would steadily increase and the Physical Memory Usage History would look like a staircase until it reached the top. I've managed to stop this from happening by using the option to never show thumbnails, but this is a work around, not a fix.

How do I know it's explorer.exe causing me this problem? Because I ended it as a process and my RAM automatically stopped climbing and went back down to normal levels. I then ran it again from Task Manager and it didn't give me problems until I opened that folder again.

Any clues as to why it's doing this? Any help appreciated.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

Unbelievable... I have the same issues (will post a new thread) running windows XP SP3 32bit.

It seems to be nearly any folder I have several videos in that triggers it. My hard drive also starts making sounds like it's working heavily, then stops as soon as I end explorer.exe process.

Back