extremely annoyed and computer illiterate

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright i just slammed in a ATI radeon 9250 in my comp and it's all hooked up and everything. i put in the install disc then clicked install the display driver thing, go to click install caticlyst control center and it sais " proper ATI hardware not detected" or w/e so anyway i figure its probly just some crap i dont even need and try to play counterstrike that i just baught..had 20 fps was pretty much the most choppiest thing ive ever seen could barely switch weapons then just got blasted to crap. was messin around with this peice of poo for the past 5 hours and still 20 FPS.

would be extremely happy if someone could help me out :mad:

What computer and operating system do you have? What memory? Did you install the ATA RAdeon 9250 drivers from a disc that was included, or from a download you created from the ATI site?

Did it have a card before, or just onboard?

If it had a card, the Drivers need to be removed before installing the new ones - Even if it was ATI brand.

Also, when you boot, Windows should say "Found new hardware" and install generic "VGA Drivers". AFTER That - try rebooting & running your Driver CD.

The Drivers will make a BIG difference to performance, though that's a pretty low spec card.

alright my comp is windows XP, i have a Nvidia geforce card before this one

my comp is very well built 2 GHz , 1 GB RAM , AMD Athlon 64+ 3200 processor hope this helps? and ya i did use the Install disc

Gently remove and replace the video card.
Go to the Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, then scroll down through the devices to see if you had a red or yellow alert plugged into your video graphics card.
The card may still be attempting to use the old drivers.
If you have downloaded the drivers, or have them on a disc so they are handy, go to the device manager then disable or remove the existing drivers, then reboot to see if if Windows will discover the drivers are missing, then reinstall them. If not, it may start in Safe mode. At that point, reinstall the video drivers from the set you made sure you had... following the instructions that came with the drivers.
Once that is done, shut down the machine. Then reboot from a cold boot... your video problem should be improved. If not, you may have a bad video card. Even new ones arrive dead sometimes.

alright cool but can you take it step by step with me because im not great at using comps.

ok so yeah i didn't uninstall the Nvidia drivers from my previous video card so how will i delete them completely off my computer since my video card melted and wont need em anymore

The drivers are never on your card, they are on the motherboard and utilized by Windows. Your recently failed video card had drivers installed on the computer to make the video card work. When the card went bad, the drivers were likely still there.
It is possible that a new video card cannot install, because the previous video card drivers are still loaded in the devices section of hardware. You can see that information by looking at the hardware and drivers list in the Device Manager which is within System in the Control Panel.

kk i looked in Display Adapters and saw ATI Radeon 9250 and ATI Radeon 9250(secondary)

Device status:this device is working properly

??

If i were you mate, i'd find out the exact model of nvidia card you had before, cos the radeon 9250 is a pile of dog slop. Real low end garbage.
So unless you were really on a tight budget, or sold bad advice, or your nvidia is a geforce2, you bought the wrong card. There's plenty of stuff on the web regarding problems with the 9250 cards.
All the advice others have given you comes before mine though, as regards drivers. I'm just telling you, don't expect a 3-legged donkey to win a steeplejack race. :)

Uninstall old video card drivers from Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

BTW, I must agree that the 9250 is not a modern gaming card. Technology has passed it by. If you are trying to run CS:S, check the Steampowered website for recommended (not just minimum) system requirements and buy a graphics card accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back