Fallout 76 server crashes under triple nuke strike

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: As a group of Fallout 76 players recently found out, more isn't always better. After coordinating a triple nuke strike, the server stopped responding and they were booted from play. Surely Bethesda had planned for such a scenario, right?

It didn’t take long for gamers to drop the first nuke in Fallout 76. The player-triggered end-game event isn’t exactly a cakewalk to initiate as multiple steps are involved (this tool helps speed along the process) although because beta progress carried over to the main launch, it only took about one day for the first atomic bomb to hit West Virginia.

If one nuke is good, then surely more must be better, right?

To find out, YouTube user Nickaroo93 and his crew recently staged the simultaneous launch of three nukes. Apparently, that was simply too much radiation for a single server to handle. Shortly after dropping the bombs and attempting to venture into ground zero, they were booted from the game.

Nickaroo93 told The Verge that his squad now wants to try launching nukes at three different regions on the map (rather than all in the same place) to see how the server responds.

Bethesda on Monday pushed out a new patch for Fallout 76 that introduces multiple performance and stability improvements. The full patch notes don’t mention anything about changes to how nukes operate, however.

Permalink to story.

Just more evidence that fallout 76 is a poorly coded experiment of using monkeys to make video games.

MMOs have been a thing for over a quarter of a century now. Bethesda, in their glowing incompetence, didnt bother to load test their servers to insane limits, as they know player swill do at some point.

I guess you can add this onto the client side BS, modding and cheating problems, lack of content, lack of NPCs, lack of instancing, an incredibly buggy and dated engine, and Massive, internet breaking patches because bethesda doesnt know how to slip in updates like windows has been doing for more then 15 years, and most game delivery platforms figured out a decade ago.

WTF is wrong with all these people? So now dropping nukes on cities is some kind of sport? Trying to bring up a new generation of terrorists?

Thought I read somewhere that Bethesda didn't expect the first nuke to be launched until TWO MONTHS after game release.

If so, they clearly underestimated their player base.

WTF is wrong with all these people? So now dropping nukes on cities is some kind of sport? Trying to bring up a new generation of terrorists?

All of the Fallout games have had a nuclear launch or nuclear wasteland as part of their story line. I don't think they're trying to "encourage" anything, it's just a part of the game.

All of the Fallout games have had a nuclear launch or nuclear wasteland as part of their story line. I don't think they're trying to "encourage" anything, it's just a part of the game.

Like those training suicide bombers who start with the following recruitment line: You're gonna be fine!

I think we need to ship a dozen copies to Kim Jung Un ..... straped onto a warhead, of course ........

Like those training suicide bombers who start with the following recruitment line: You're gonna be fine!

Actually Bethesda is preparing the generations for the inevitable apocalypse. This simulation of a game is doing the right thing! It should be at all schools, just like Minecraft.

Back