Fallout 76's beta has been locked at 63 FPS and 90 FOV on PC

Polycount

Staff

The public's reception to Bethesda's Fallout 76 B.E.T.A has been mixed, to say the least. Most seem to agree that the game is entertaining enough, but others have faced numerous bugs, glitches, and even encountered speed hackers.

However, unlike other multiplayer games, Fallout 76's speed hacking problem wasn't a result of third-party cheating software. Rather, it came from a long-standing issue with Bethesda's games: their engine. Though the Creation Engine has received several improvements over time, it also has a lot of very old problems; its buggy physics engine being one of the most well-known.

Put simply, the Creation Engine does not know how to deal with players exceeding 60 FPS. If you've ever unlocked the framerate in, say, Skyrim through .ini file editing, you most likely know what we're talking about. Wolves will fly around the map at light speed, objects will soar from shelves and tables when you enter an inn, and riding a horse is a near-impossible task.

Some mods fix this problem, but since Fallout 76 is a multiplayer-only title, that's not an option for now. As such, Bethesda has killed the effectiveness of .ini file editing and capped the framerate at 63, according to PC Gamer. The outlet tried a few different methods to get around this -- including setting said .ini file to "read only" -- but nothing seemed to work.

Frankly, Bethesda's decision is unsurprising. Fixing their physics engine so far into the Creation Engine's lifespan is probably an expensive, if not impossible process. If I were to speculate, I'd say we won't see any changes in this regard until Bethesda creates an entirely new engine, most likely with the release of Starfield or The Elder Scrolls 6.

In addition to Fallout 76's beta framerate being locked, the FOV has also reportedly been capped. In third person, that means you'll be restricted to a FOV of 80, while the first-person FOV can't go higher than 90.

It's unclear whether or not Bethesda plans to remove these restrictions before Fallout 76's full release, but given the company's track record with FPS-related issues, it's probably best not to get your hopes up.

Permalink to story.

"Some mods fix this problem, but since Fallout 76 is a multiplayer-only title, that's not an option for now."

Why can't you mod multiplayer? I've modded a lot of multiplayer games.

"I'd say we won't see any changes in this regard until Bethesda creates an entirely new engine, most likely with the release of Starfield or The Elder Scrolls 6."

Your optimistic, I don't believe they will ever make new engine. They will just add RTX and other **** and make it even more of a buggy mess.

Bethesda's next announcement & fix.......................... Telling AMD & NVIDIA to stop making faster GPU's.

I've been following this game and never was a fan but it's like they don't want people to buy this game... This game will be a big fail and expect it to be dirt cheap down the road.

"Some mods fix this problem, but since Fallout 76 is a multiplayer-only title, that's not an option for now."

"I'd say we won't see any changes in this regard until Bethesda creates an entirely new engine, most likely with the release of Starfield or The Elder Scrolls 6."

Your optimistic, I don't believe they will ever make new engine. They will just add RTX and other **** and make it even more of a buggy mess.
Bethesda has said you won't be able to mod FO76 - at least not at launch. They haven't given us a timeframe for when that might be possible.

And yes, you're right, it is optimistic. However, I think they will eventually be forced to vastly rework their engine - their games will lose their appeal if they continue to have their hands tied (technologically speaking) as they do now.

Just my opinion, of course. But with ES6 probably arriving sometime in 2026, I'd say that's plenty of time for them to get it together.

Creation engine = Gamebryo engine with added plugins. It has been used since morrowind. Both engines have the same backend, same issues, ect. Bethesda only pilled more on top of an already buggy engine.

I've modded most Bethesda games and it always seems that they rely on the modding community to fix the game for them and add new features. Many of the features in skyrim were originally mods in oblivion.

And yes, you're right, it is optimistic. However, I think they will eventually be forced to vastly rework their engine - their games will lose their appeal if they continue to have their hands tied (technologically speaking) as they do now.

All jokes aside, I have plenty of them, I don't have much faith in this game or this company. They've historically had game braking issues with their games that the modding community have been the ones to fix. I mean the fact that there are "Unofficial XXXXXX patch" mods for their games leaves me with little faith in Fallout 76's game play. :/

All jokes aside, I have plenty of them, I don't have much faith in this game or this company. They've historically had game braking issues with their games that the modding community have been the ones to fix. I mean the fact that there are "Unofficial XXXXXX patch" mods for their games leaves me with little faith in Fallout 76's game play. :/
I agree, and trust me, I'm aware. I've played all of their games since Morrowind.

Obviously, this is just my personal opinion again, but I think Fallout 76 looks incredibly dull and decidely uninnovative. And that's ignoring the inevitable game bugs you mentioned.

I think it will do OK in terms of sales, because it has the Fallout name, though. For better or worse.

Bethesda has said you won't be able to mod FO76 - at least not at launch. They haven't given us a timeframe for when that might be possible.

Just my opinion, of course. But with ES6 probably arriving sometime in 2026, I'd say that's plenty of time for them to get it together.
Bethesda is just outright wrong. Fallout 76 can be modded with fallout 4 tools, since they used the same damn engine. People are already modding 76 with ease, and since the game is CLIENT SIDE, there is no integrity check, you can run hog wild modding and cheating your way through the game.

Bethesda has huffed their own farts so long they have permanent brain damage.

This game should be a multiplayer DLC for Fallout 4. It looks and behaves exactly like it. I think it's hugely overpriced for what it is.

But with ES6 probably arriving sometime in 2026, I'd say that's plenty of time for them to get it together.
Is it really going to be that long?
2002 ES Morrowind - 2006 ES Oblivion - 2011 ES Skyrim. So the next ES should be around now.
2008 Fallout 3 - 2015 Fallout 4. So the next Fallout should be around 2023.
If ESO and Fallout 76 are the reasons we now have a further 8 year wait for the next release, then we need to collectively stop spending money on the MMOs and force Bethesda to get back to the single player releases.

Is it really going to be that long?
2002 ES Morrowind - 2006 ES Oblivion - 2011 ES Skyrim. So the next ES should be around now.
2008 Fallout 3 - 2015 Fallout 4. So the next Fallout should be around 2023.
If ESO and Fallout 76 are the reasons we now have a further 8 year wait for the next release, then we need to collectively stop spending money on the MMOs and force Bethesda to get back to the single player releases.
ESO doesn't count because it's being worked on by a separate team entirely, but Fallout 76 is Bethesda's next "AAA RPG," so another wait of 4-ish years is what we can most likely expect for the game after.

Fallout 4 did release in 2015, so that's only a three-year gap between it and 76, but that's still within the normal 3-5 year dev cycle for a AAA game (that isn't CoD or Assassin's Creed). So, we'll say four more years until Starfield, which would put us at 2022, and then four more years after that for Elder Scrolls 6, which would be 2026.

It's all just speculation on my part, but I think it's solid.

Remember, Fallout and Elder Scrolls are made by the same team - not separate ones. So it's not 4 years between ES games and 4 years between Fallout, but 4 years between major Bethesda releases period.

I agree, and trust me, I'm aware. I've played all of their games since Morrowind.

Obviously, this is just my personal opinion again, but I think Fallout 76 looks incredibly dull and decidely uninnovative. And that's ignoring the inevitable game bugs you mentioned.

I think it will do OK in terms of sales, because it has the Fallout name, though. For better or worse.

In the wake of all this bad press from this game.. I hope they learn from this and make this a game people will want to play. I love the Fallout franchise and don't want to see it fail, but with all the news as of late I'm starting to think it needs to fail so that they will learn. >.>

Back