Far Cry freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I hate to join a new forum just to post a message asking for tech support help, but here I go anyways. I posted this over at the IGN forums, and recieved nada for help.

I just reinstalled Windows XP on a new hard drive, so this problem is coming off of a 72 hour old OS installation.

Whenever I run Far Cry, about 5-30 minutes into the game, I get a high pitch sound, and then the game locks up. I have to manually restart the system, as all keyboard and mouse input is no longer functioning.

My system is:

AMD Athlon 2400
ATI Radeon 9600 XT (newest drivers from Team Radeon's site, 4.10)
1 GB DDR Memory
SB Live! Value (newest drivers as well)
Direct X 9c

I do have the v1.3 patch installed.

It doesn't even seem to happen when the video hardware is particularly taxed. It even happened once in the menu screen. This game worked fine before I reinstalled the OS. What can I do to make it run fine again?

Thanks,
Andy

Hello and welcome to Techspot

What version of your sound and graphics card drivers were you using before you did the reinstall?

If they were different to the ones you have now that may be a possibility.

Regards Howard

:wave: :wave:

I'm not sure exactly. Probably the catalyst 4.9 drivers. I think the last time I updated my drivers was shortly after Doom 3 came out, because I messed with my settings quite a bit to play that game. Eventually, that game ran smooth. I did play Far Cry after that, with no freezing.

My sound card, I can only ***ume I've had the newest drivers for more than a year, since the SB Live! Value drivers haven't been updated since 2002.

Could you not try using the old drivers for you graphics card then.

If you decide to do this uninstall the current drivers first.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Sure, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. My gut instinct, however, tells me that there's no reason the 4.10 drivers shouldn't work. However, my gut instinct hasn't been able to solve this problem on it's own, or I wouldn't have come here in the first place. :)

Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. I played the game for about 45 minutes last night before it locked up, but it did eventually lock up.

As a side note, I played The Sims 2, which is not quite as graphically intensive as Far Cry, but certainly no slouch, for about 3 hours yesterday, and had no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back