File transfer to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

I just purchased on new computer with a Windows XP. I now want to transfer some of my files from the old computer to the new one. The old computer is running Windows 98. It has no zip drive or CD rewritable. Also, neither computer has Nic card.

I see something in the XP about connecting the computers together for file transfer.

Can I transfer files by just connecting the two computers with a cable? If so, what kind of a cable do I need to buy?

okay, there are several ways.

If both have serial or paralel ports, you could use that. I would advice paralel then (faster) - correct if wrong.

You could try via USB (that's what I am trying no, but don't know how yet).

Maybe two modems could work also. Anyway, don't forget you always need special cables - not regular paralel cable... I think they are also called 'cross'.

I think your best bet would be to take the hard drive that has the files you want on your XP box out, and put it in your XP box then transfer harddrive to harddrive from within windows XP. Just make sure you set the hard drive you are moving to slave.

spend $40.00

I was asking myself that very same question the other day. You can transfer files and stuff but I don't think you can network or 'remote desktop'. For those great functions you need to obtain a couple of network cards. One place you can go is Wal-mart. They got them priced at $20.00 per card. I like that solution because you can then keep system #2 for playing games with or against your freinds.

Please correct me if i'm wrong here. Can you can play games hooking up USB to USB?

My old system:
Plll 450 Mhz on a BX-440BX Pll mobo. 128 Mb RAM, ATI RADEON 32Mb SDRAM, CREATIVE SB AUDIGY, CREATIVE INSPIRON 5.1 Speakers.
NAME fubar

My new system:
DELL INSPIRON 8100 notebook
1.2Ghz Plll
512Mb SDRAM
ATI MOBILITY 7500 64 MB SDRAM (mabe DDRAM, I'll check)
TOSHIBA DVD
NIC/PHONE/FAX MODEM
15.1" ULTRA TFT DISPLAY
Name: Dream Machine

File transfer

Thanks for all the advice. Since I'm going to be working on this computer out of town and may not have many resources available and don't know if this person will be comfortable with me nosing around inside their computer, I have purchased a null serial cable (9-pin/25-pin), upgraded my external zip drive to work with XP.

After saying all that, my first choice will be installing the old drive as the slave.

Thanks again for the good advice.

P.S. XP does have a transfer wizard that works with serial cable's

.:grinthumb

Re: File transfer

Originally posted by thewolfe

P.S. XP does have a transfer wizard that works with serial cable's

.:grinthumb
I believe you can still use hyperterminal. Hopefully you aren't transfering massive quantities of data through that, at best its twice as fast as a 56k. I think.

Also, uncleel has a good thought on the next topic up. Other Hardware>connecting two computers.

I've got XP running on two computers now. Each of them has NIC cards. I can't figure out how to network them though even with with the wizard so I transfered my files via cd-r. Any way now evrything is archived. I think I also need to purchase a hub. I think that is what uncleel was talking about when he was discussing peer-to-peer.

I would like to see a one of the editors publish a networking guide here. Folks obtain more computers and family members to use them. A network guide would be a welcome addition to the 3ds compendium of computer knowlege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back