First 10.1-inch 4K Ultra HD display announced by Japan Display

Scorpus

Staff member

Since late 2012 we've been blessed with displays in our smartphones packing pixel densities over 400 PPI (pixels per inch), but when it comes to tablets, we've been left with relatively modest densities; until now that is.

Japan Display, one of the major manufacturers and developers of mobile display technology, has announced a brand new tablet-oriented 10.1-inch panel with a whopping 4K (3840 x 2160) Ultra HD resolution. With 8.3 million pixels confined within 281 square centimeters, this new display features an impressive density of 438 PPI.

This new 4K panel from Japan Display uses IPS TFT LCD technology, helping the display boast 160 degree viewing angles, 400 nits of brightness, and a contrast ratio of 1100:1. The company has also harnessed low-temperature poly silicon (LTPS) technology for higher densities, bigger resolutions and faster overall operation.

At this stage there's no word on when and where we'll see Japan Display's new Ultra HD panel, but it will be reaching commercially available tablets in the near future. Of course with any increase in resolution, an increase in processing power and battery life is needed as well, so part of any rollout of 4K tablets will be ensuring the right hardware is paired with such an impressive display.

Permalink to story.

2560x1600 was already pointless on a tablet... I expect this will take that pointlessness to all new levels! good numbers for the marketing department though!

2560x1600 was already pointless on a tablet... I expect this will take that pointlessness to all new levels! good numbers for the marketing department though!

I agree, the pixel density of these devices really does not bring much to the table for improved visuals. Yea it may look better, but not by enough to justify it. I mean 1080p looks great as it is, 1440p is a bit excessive for the size, and now 2160 is going to be very pricey and hard to use on such a small screen.

I really want a 24 inch 4k screen more than anything to put on my desktop as my replacement for my eyefinity setup.

I agree, the pixel density of these devices really does not bring much to the table for improved visuals. Yea it may look better, but not by enough to justify it. I mean 1080p looks great as it is, 1440p is a bit excessive for the size, and now 2160 is going to be very pricey and hard to use on such a small screen.

I really want a 24 inch 4k screen more than anything to put on my desktop as my replacement for my eyefinity setup.
Yeah it is fairly useless. The highlight of this article IMO is that the 4K display uses the same amount of power as the 2560x1600P display. Other than that, nothing of use.

Yeah it is fairly useless. The highlight of this article IMO is that the 4K display uses the same amount of power as the 2560x1600P display. Other than that, nothing of use.
I think we in general are jumping the gun when it comes to display technology. I mean how many times do you or did you hear much about 2560x1440p (Or 1600) in terms of displays, T.V.'s, or what not. We literally skipped it and are shooting to 4k faster and faster when we still have most things on 1080p and most of our videos, games, and such are designed around 1080p and will have to make a huge jump to 4K.

I like that people are working on improving the tech, but jeez I didn't even get a chance to try some 1440p monitors and they are already in a way obsolete.

It's better. Stop complaining.
Yeah it is good, we are just complaining about how manufacturers are rushing to get the highest resolution screens out so they can advertise big numbers. Because you know, people like big numbers.

It's better. Stop complaining.

We complain because it will make tablets cost more, and when you pay more for something you want to get more. If the resolution is too high to see then all we get for that higher price is less battery life, more screen lag, and lower FPS in games.

We complain because it will make tablets cost more, and when you pay more for something you want to get more. If the resolution is too high to see then all we get for that higher price is less battery life, more screen lag, and lower FPS in games.
Yeah GPU technology also has to improve. People overlook the fact that yeah, mobile GPUs may be able to display 4K video, but playing games and using intense graphical apps on mobile devices will cause it to struggle.

Given that the tablets scale any graphics anyhow, any display that doesn't show the pixels is more than enough.

Heck, I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 Pro with "only" 3,200x1,800 resolution and I have to run it at 1080p instead of native resolution since everything is too small at native and many applications on Windows don't scale worth of s**t.

So the question is WHY have such a high resolution on a 10" tablet when the OS will scale it anyhow and thus you won't have additional work space anyhow -- assuming you could even SEE the icons and forget about touching them...

High resolution glasses free multiviewer eye tracking 3d tablets not far off then.
Progress in display tech is needed on the way to a.r. glasses and contacts.

I agree. Chances are that 99.999999% of the people wouldn't know the difference between a 2560x1600 vs a 4K display on a 10" tablet -- no matter how close they looked with naked eye, and that 0.0000001% of the people who could tell the difference would need a magnifying class to actually see the difference.

I don't see much point going to UHD and anything higher. VHS to DVD that was a huge jump in tech. DVD to BRY not much of jump. 480i to 720p then 720p to 1080p another jump. OTA is still a mix of 480i, 720p and 1080i and look how long that has taken. So what is everyone suppose to do with their brand new 1080p HDTV? Get rid of it and get a new UHD to watch a few media that supports UHD and OTA still not on the ball yet. Maybe buy 2025, but I am still waiting on the tech so I can watch my media and actually be in the media interaction. Hollow-Media.. LOL

Know what? IMHO Blu-Ray looks pretty damned good up to about 46". That's only 1080p. So, why on earth would I need a 4K tablet.? This is the kind of complete and utter nonsense, of which Apple will be selling to every yuppie mark on the planet.

A 4k photo needs a 4k monitor or when you zoom you will lose detail.
Ya know, if you're editing 12MP or greater DSLR images on a 10" tablet, you're clueless, and your priorities are all screwed up anyway.

Besides, printers are pretty much the only devices that actually need, or can make use of, > 300 ppi anyway. In fact, once you get past about 11" x 14", you can even dial that back to 250 to 275 ppi.

Last edited:
CC beat me to it, Apple's marketing division must be foaming at the mouth for this one. It will be the same as the iPhone 5s '64bit processor' advertising campaign. What a load of _____!

If 1080P makes any sense on a 5" phone, then it also will having 4K on a 10" tablet.

And since so many cameras, even in phones are taking videos and still pictures in 4K, it is nice to have a tablet where you can see those in native resolution.

In the meantime, we are waiting for announcement of Galaxy Note 4 that will boast 2560x1440 at just 5.9" - now how crazy is that?

Know what? IMHO Blu-Ray looks pretty damned good up to about 46". That's only 1080p. So, why on earth would I need a 4K tablet.? This is the kind of complete and utter nonsense, of which Apple will be selling to every yuppie mark on the planet.

A 4k photo needs a 4k monitor or when you zoom you will lose detail.
Ya know, if you're editing 12MP or greater DSLR images on a 10" tablet, you're clueless, and your priorities are all screwed up anyway.

Besides, printers are pretty much the only devices that actually need, or can make use of, > 300 ppi anyway. In fact, once you get past about 11" x 14", you can even dial that back to 250 to 275 ppi.

4K, 8K or higher one day the need might be there for some, but don't see it right now. Some on Youtube pushing 1440p HD, like what I am suppose to do get rid of all my new 1080p HD LED Slim Monitors for 1440p HD Monitors. No going to happen. I want to see those transparent Monitors come out. Last word said they were one day.

If 1080P makes any sense on a 5" phone, then it also will having 4K on a 10" tablet.

And since so many cameras, even in phones are taking videos and still pictures in 4K, it is nice to have a tablet where you can see those in native resolution.

In the meantime, we are waiting for announcement of Galaxy Note 4 that will boast 2560x1440 at just 5.9" - now how crazy is that?
Too crazy, can't take all that craziness in at once :p

Maybe im just thinking were skipping around to fast to these over high resolutions. I just feel in years we have just added a Turbo to all these screens shooting for more and more resolution at a constant basis while sacrificing in some cases quality or not thinking about whats going to power it.

While the screen may not use much power, think about the GPU and processor trying to render on it. Its going to be under stress doing small tasks which will of course reduce battery life and performance. That is where most of my complaints come from when I think about these new screens on small devices.

When you start to believe you need 4K resolution on an iPhone, your narcissism has reached the point where it likely should be treated.

Instead, go find a puddle or microwave oven door in which to stare at your own reflection. After all, the resolution is practically infinite.

When you come right down to it, any camera "selfie" you take, isn't really going to do you justice, now is it?

I don't mind them rushing into 4k, but imo they should really focus on getting 4k monitors out first; and not those that are like 2 monitors in one where you need special software to stitch the images together. I'm talking about 4k plug & play! ;)
If they'll release the good monitors, video card makes will get the cards out.

Back