First Windows 11 Insider Preview build is now available on the dev channel

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft has released the first Insider Preview of Windows 11. It arrives less than a week after Redmond formally introduced the new OS to the world. With Build 22000.51, Insiders will be able to try out many, but not all, of the new features that were showcased last week.

Some of the bigger features like Microsoft Teams chat and Android apps in the Microsoft Store are still being worked on, but should be available to trial in the coming months ahead of the OS’ general availability.

Those interested in taking Windows 11 for a spin must first be a part of the Insider Program. You can register online or directly on your Windows 10 PC via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program.

From there, you’ll want to make sure your PC meets the Windows 11 hardware requirements. There’s already some contention regarding Win 11’s hardware requirements, especially as it relates to Trusted Platform Module 2.0. Feel free to check out our in-depth write-up on TPM and why Windows 11 requires it, or dig more into the OS’ hardware requirements.

If you're already an Insider and meet the hardware requirements, you can grab Build 22000.51 through the dev channel.

Microsoft has also published a list of known issues with the new build, as well as information on feature deprecations when upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10. Both are worth a look if you plan on flighting the Insider preview build.

Permalink to story.

Being a big user of windows, xbox, and previously surface products, why is microsoft so much slower at developing literally anything than the rest of the industry?

It takes the xbox years to get basic changes and improvements to the dashboard (or mobile apps). It takes windows years to unify basic parts of the interface. The surface hardware is always practically a generation outdated by the time the product releases. The Surface Studio 2 even claims its not able to run windows 11. Its genuinely painful.

Windows 11 seems to simply be some UI changes and improvements. They're also proud of running android apps, which seems like a gimmick for 95% of users. They have done nothing to give people application sandboxes, a security/privacy feature that other prominent user OSs have had for so many years that I would consider it as essential as HTTPS. They keep trying to force Microsoft accounts which makes the UX even more bloated and inconsistent (the option is nice for people less paranoid than me, but its way too aggressive and largely pointless).

It's going to be interesting to see how this whole TPM issue plays out. It's been dominating the Tech news cycle. I'm guessing Microsoft will be forced to act. In what way? I've no idea.

I would suggest that all "unpaid testers" or "developers" provide comments in the Feedback Hub regarding the hardware exclusions inherent in W11. Can it really be worthwhile "testing" if it is only tested on a minority of the hardware out there? Is that a fair test? Is it really worthwhile "developing" an app that can only work on software that is only available on a minority of the PC's out there, or lets say a small number of the possible customers? What's in it for you? Does MS actually want this to be a "niche, beta" product while they continue to develop the "last Windows OS, Windows 10". As I say - figure it out yourself and leave comments on the Feedback Hub. I know what I will be doing with the single computer of 10 or so that I manage that "passes". Supporting both W11 AND Win10, how is that going to work out for me? Its like dating: how do you get past the ugly part to the beautiful character that may exist within the ugly exterior. TPM, new processors only, MS Accounts - ugly, ugly, ugly.

Something that I learned today when watching Gary Explains on YouTube is that you also need to have an 8th generation Intel cpu or newer to run Windows 11... and of course I have a 7700. Hopefully there will be some kind of hack that can remove the limitations.

Something that I learned today when watching Gary Explains on YouTube is that you also need to have an 8th generation Intel cpu or newer to run Windows 11... and of course I have a 7700. Hopefully there will be some kind of hack that can remove the limitations.
The Core i7 4770 of my wife won't do it.

What a joke! It is a MS tablet!
Tell me about it....

someone posted this on slashdot, so his words, not mine, but interesting nevertheless:

TPM requirements are easy, tons of systems have them or you can add them. That's not the issue.

CPU requirements: Intel 8th gen or AMD Ryzen Zen2 required, possibly also supporting Intel 7th gen and Ryzen Zen1. Only reason given was on an entirely different article I had to hunt down from a year or two ago talking about a new hypervisor extension Microsoft is using. This extension was added to 7th-gen Intel and Zen1 Ryzen. This hypervisor extension is the "requirement", but they don't really give a good enough explanation as to WHY in my opinion. And even in the Windows 11 documents, they're still not even really mentioning it. This is just more hidden bullsh.. to force hardware upgrades.

Tell me about it....

someone posted this on slashdot, so his words, not mine, but interesting nevertheless:
I wonder why M$ is always a pain in the a***. Can they not launch a new OS without pestering people in the process? Now, people are driven mad by TPM, etc. Can they not simplify the things for the users? In the end, if you were receiving such a wonderful OS, all the efforts could be justified. But no, it is just Windows 10.1 or 10.2, if you are optimistic. They are like the b*tch of the neighborhood. Always scandalizing with some stupid nonsense.

Someone managed to install the Insider Preview version on a 4th-Gen i7 Intel CPU without (any) TPM modifying the Win 11 ISO and replacing appraiserres.dll with the Win 10 version of the file.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-why-tpm-chips-are-required-for-windows-11,2.html

Even if M$ block installation this way, there will be thousands of others out there immediately to break through this. And I don't think Microsoft want it - on the contrary, they will fight to push it on every and any single MoBo and CPU from the last 10 years and beyond. They just create tension to make users yearn for it. Make a thing hard to get and just watch...

Am up and running on the Preview build and it was a flawless upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. Everything moved over perfectly, all games, applications, drivers, codecs, everything important.

The only annoyance was the first boot to desktop having the Start button in the middle, but 3 clicks later and it was where it was supposed to be in the left corner. All my taskbar shortcuts were exactly like I had them in Windows 10 with one addition easily gotten rid of.

There is definitely a snappiness improvement to switching tasks and general UI responsiveness overall, for a preview release this is remarkably stable and fast. Boot and shut down times are totally unchanged, but were already stupid fast under Win 10 on a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive, so no real improvements expected there as none really are needed.

I've only tried a few games so far, but they seem to run exactly the same as they did under Windows 10 so far. Stellaris, Doom Eternal, and Cyberpunk 2077 all run perfectly smooth and I cannot tell any noticeable performance or quality differences. I need to test Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition later as under Win 10 it had some problems with overlays that I am curious if still exist under Windows 11 or not. Will test that out later.

After my first nearly full 24 hours with Windows 11 up and running, I have zero complaints and it runs perfectly, so far. For a dev preview build, that's pretty impressive.

vDOFxbi.jpg

Last edited:
Am up and running on the Preview build and it was a flawless upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. Everything moved over perfectly, all games, applications, drivers, codecs, everything important.

The only annoyance was the first boot to desktop having the Start button in the middle, but 3 clicks later and it was where it was supposed to be in the left corner. All my taskbar shortcuts were exactly like I had them in Windows 10 with one addition easily gotten rid of.

There is definitely a snappiness improvement to switching tasks and general UI responsiveness overall, for a preview release this is remarkably stable and fast. Boot and shut down times are totally unchanged, but were already stupid fast under Win 10 on a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive, so no real improvements expected there as none really are needed.

I've only tried a few games so far, but they seem to run exactly the same as they did under Windows 10 so far. Stellaris, Doom Eternal, and Cyberpunk 2077 all run perfectly smooth and I cannot tell any noticeable performance or quality differences. I need to test Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition later as under Win 10 it had some problems with overlays that I am curious if still exist under Windows 11 or not. Will test that out later.

After my first nearly full 24 hours with Windows 11 up and running, I have zero complaints and it runs perfectly, so far. For a dev preview build, that's pretty impressive.

vDOFxbi.jpg
Yes, you could not notice "practically" any difference in performance because Windows 11 is "practically" the same as Windows 10.

Yes, you could not notice "practically" any difference in performance because Windows 11 is "practically" the same as Windows 10.
Clearly, and more so than Windows 8 was just Windows 7 with a messed up Start button. But still, it works flawlessly so far, better than I can say for first dev preview of any previous OS release.

And is it any skin off our backs? It's free, LOL! Literally, there is no cost calculus involved. You get new, free OS version from the one you originally bought or came with your PC. What's to complain about?

Here's how I see it, I bought a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro, the USB Edition version during the Win 10 launch to go with a gaming PC build of that time. And now I will get a free upgrade to 11 that goes almost perfectly timed to my recent gaming PC build. Personally, the timing works out great for me.

Windows 10 was the OS that my Core i7 7700K + GTX 1080 Ti really got the most out of. Now Windows 11 will get the most out of my 5800X + RTX 3090. Honestly, I think some people just like to complain and will find anything to whine about.

Back