Fixing a program Pushed to a machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

raebabe

This is a weird one. I have a user who keeps losing his information becuase the machine will shut itself down after a few hours or so of working. He isn't getting any errors so on the outside it looks as if the machine is "possessed" as he puts it.

I went into the Event Viewer and saw that he had several of the following errors:

"The description for Event ID ( 632 ) in Source ( KIXTART ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display information from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: RasEnumConnections failed Error: (0x278/632).

After looking up what "KIXTART" is I found it is part of what we use to push scripts to machines on base. The machine is compliant with our "System Management Server" so by all rights he should be able to get these scripts. I can't just deleate and readd the program because it's not a program that is in Add and Remove Programs and there are no "KIXTART" folders in the Registry.

I beleive everything would be under the few "SMS" folders that are loaded to the machine to help us access the systems remotely but honestly I know very little about "SMS" itself and nothing about "KIXTART" because another office takes care of pushing scripts and I would have no idea where to start.

The most I ever see of that program is when I have to ask the users permission to hack into a system to help them troubleshoot with my admin rights. The rest is completly alien.

are we positive its not a hardware issue? i have had somewhat of the same problem and it turned out to be the main board. please keep us posted. thanks

I went to kixscripts.com and found one article similar to what I am having an issue with but it is way over my personal knowledge base because like I said I have never seen this program before. Maybe one of you can help me decypher it for me because I honestly do not understand.

http://www.kixscripts.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1931&mpage=1&key=&anchor#1931

The error that user gave is more in depth than the one I have above so it may not apply but she is getting the same "RasEnumConnections" error.

I also can not say if it is a hardware issue yet because I have not had him bring his machine down to the shop but that is my next step. He did tell me that it has now gone from rebooting every hour or two to booting every 5 minutes and now it's stuck in a constant reboot so I'm glad I got into the Event Viewer while I still could because now I'll probably only be able to get into the BIOS.

I would have him try the last good know configuation but he did that the first time it happened and it did no good.

As for the link I posted it applies because he askes if we are using W2K and we are. I don't know about the @RAS Macro. I don't know how to find the code that leads up to that. We do use Logon.bat for our machines (not NTLogon.bat but it's similar) so I'm guessing that is where it's being started from (although I never really understood what that was used for; it was just there so now I think I have a better understanding).

Alright, I feel like a jerk. I left early on Wednesday and he brought it in after I left when it started continuously rebooting. My co-worker reseated the CPU and that worked. The poor user thought I had misplaced his machine.

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back