Ford will cut or suspend output at eight factories this week over chip shortage

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The ongoing chip shortage continues to affect vehicle production at manufacturing facilities around the globe. Some experts believe the shortage will ease up later this year, but that's doing little to help the situation at the moment.

A spokesperson for Ford Motor recently told Reuters that it plans to suspend or cut production at eight of its facilities in the US, Canada and Mexico through this week due to chip supply constraints. A day earlier, the company said the chip shortage would result in decreased production output in the current quarter.

Production at Ford plants in Chicago, Michigan and Cuautitlán, Mexico, will be suspended, the spokesperson said. Production of F-150 pickups in Kansas City will be idled while one shift will stay on to make its Transit vans.

Ford is also planning single shifts or reduced schedules at facilities in Dearborn, Kentucky and Louisville, and will be eliminating overtime at its Oakville plant in Canada.

The spokesperson said all changes will go into effect starting the week of February 7.

Share value in Ford dipped after markets closed last Thursday after having come up short in earnings compared to what Wall Street was expecting. Still, the automaker is bullish on 2022, and expects to earn between $11.5 billion and $12.5 billion in adjusted pretax profits this year, an increase of 15 percent to 25 percent compared to last year. Its new Ford Lightning pickup is off to a great start as demand continues to soar.

Permalink to story.

Just cut out all the luxury chips whatever those may be. I'd like to roll up my windows

I wonder how big a killing Ford would make if they produced a very simply, plain Jane Pick-up that was all mechanical and only had a hand full of chips? Cheaper, more available .... sounds like a winning combination for those budget buyers that really don't want or need all the extra's .....

Life was much better when the most advanced tech in a car was the radio. Any mechanic could fix any car with the right parts. Now you have to be a car computer tech in order to know what is wrong with a car. Car user manuals in the 70' or 80' show how to fix your engine timing. Nowadays they insist not to drink the coolant.

Last edited:
I wonder how big a killing Ford would make if they produced a very simply, plain Jane Pick-up that was all mechanical and only had a hand full of chips? Cheaper, more available .... sounds like a winning combination for those budget buyers that really don't want or need all the extra's .....
Would such a car though, pass the safety tests?

Life was much better when the most advanced tech in a car was the radio. Any mechanic could fix any car with the right parts. Now you have to be a car computer tech in order to know what is wrong with a car. Car user manuals in the 70' or 80' show how to fix your engine timing. Nowadays they insist not to drink the coolant.
This is true. The good old mechanical cars are easily self serviceable, and then to last a long time. I've seen these mechanical cars working even after 20 years. In the past, things like computer can last a long long time, but I am skeptical current day electric cars can last that long due to the chase for lower cost.
If anything, I feel the only benefit from switching from mechanical to electrical is that the vehicles are more fuel efficient. Mostly due to the weight reduction if I am not mistaken. Post that, any gain in fuel efficiency likely boils down to the electronic parts used and any potential to replace heavy components.

With increased complexity comes increased unreliability.
The only thing I can see that benefits from microcomputing in a car is having control of a fuel injection system. Precise fuel mix input calculated and delivered in direct relation to the engine speed and load in real time is what brought most of the improved fuel efficiency. All the other bullshit, proximity sensors, telemetry, infotainment, and pretty flashing lights just add unnecessary complication.

Too bad Ford/GM/Chrysler make junk, especially after the first 3 years from new. I've owned multiple cars of each brand and, if you don't do your own wrenching, prepare to get bled dry. The Japanese cars I've owned were way more reliable - not even close, especially the models made in Japan and exported to America. THOSE ARE THE BEST!

Back