Formatting hardrive whilst keeping selected windows files - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diomedes1

Hi,

i was wondering if it is possible to format my pc, but keep some of the files on the hardrive so i can use them again after formatting.

This is because i dont really wanna lose all of my songs and some program installation files, but i need to format as my pc has become rather unstable.

I dont have a DVD rewriting drive so i cant chuck them all on a DVD, which is probably the only thing with enough space.

So is it possible to say, temporarily store files on a separate part of the HD whilst fortmaing the windows installation?

Apologies if i posted this in wrong forum, was split wether to put it into storage or this.

Formating HD

It is possible, but your going to need to partition the hard drive, or get a 2nd
drive just for storage and set it to slave. Then just copy the files onto the new partition or drive that won't be formatted. Someone else might have a better idea, but this is what I've done my self, with Partition Commader.

Good Luck

What OS are you running?? XP?? 2000?? 98SE??

I think this thread should be in storage but what the heck... :haha:

cT

Darn, well you could always get or borrow a friends laptop and copy the files across to the laptop and then back again after reinstalling OS. Thats what I do. Just remember to put a copy of the LAN Cards drivers on a diskette or else it pretty much becomes redundant unless windows has generic drivers for your card.

It seems to me from what Diomedes1 said, his HDD is not partitioned. How much free space do you have and what's the total number of bites of the things that you want to store?? What you want to store hopefully is samller than the free space that you have on your drive.

cT

i wanna create another partition, about 10 gigs big, to put music and essential files on. My hard-drive isnt partitioned, or has 1 partition - the C drive. I got about 65 percent free of my 120gig so creating a 10 gig parition shouldnt be a problem. I've been trying to add one using computer management but i just cant work out how to, and someone said to me that i cant delte the partition with windows on using computer management.

could i create a partition, stick what files i want on it, then delete my windows parition using boot disks?

If you want to use Disc Management you need to delete your current one losing all data. To do it with out losing data you'll need to use a third party program such as Partition Magic.

i did try to use partition magic to create another, but upon restarting it just said error, aborting, piece of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back