Forza Motorsport is coming later this year to PC, Xbox Series, and Game Pass

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Turn 10 Studios has shared new details about the highly anticipated next entry in the Forza Motorsport series. Chris Esaki, creative director at Turn 10 Studios, said the game is being built from the ground up to be the most technically advanced racing game ever made. At launch, there will be more than 500 cars to race, customize and collect – the most modern race cars Forza has ever featured on its roster.

Vehicle art director Gabe Garcia said the advancements in their physics models are greater than Forza 5, 6 and 7 combined. Everything is rendered in 4K at 60 frames per second with real-time ray tracing.

Turn 10 is also going the extra mile in terms of visual appeal. Paints were sourced using a spectrophotometer to capture multiple data points of light behavior across a variety of surfaces. What's more, damage is now contextually aware and unique to each car. The game even simulates paint thickness, chipping and directionality, and dirt accumulation is also more realistic.

Racing is as much an auditory experience as it is visual, and Turn 10 is not skimping here either. Project audio director Chase Combs said this is the first Forza game to be mixed natively for immersive audio formats like Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic.

Mods now change how your car sounds. Slap on a new exhaust or add a supercharger and you will immediately notice the difference. Turn 10 has even implement smaller changes like a regional track announcer system as well as improved tire and audio suspension.

The game will launch with 20 race environments, five of which are new to the series. Lots of detail has gone into track design to make them look and feel as realistic as possible. For the first time, the series will have fully dynamic time of day with weather as well as dynamic track temperatures, wet driving surfaces and rubbering in.

Forza Motorsport is due out in 2023 for PC, Xbox Series and Game Pass.

Permalink to story.

"The most technically advanced racing game ever made"
Given new technologies like Atmos supported? maybe, because surely not in the realistic area. Forza was always more on arcade side anyway so it should be good game if someone do not expect iRacing or RaceRoom level of realism.

I saw the trailer. The game looks good. The comparison with Gran Turismo is inevitable. Generally GT has better car models and materials whereas Forza has better environment details. It seems to me the same again just based off the trailer.

It is interesting they are going with ray traced reflections in game. They looked quite low resolution and even then I doubt the consoles have the performance to pull it off in 4K. Like most console games that claim it I expect some major upscaling and a very wide dynamic resolution to keep the framerate solid.

PC is where the game will show its true potential then. Hopefully after the DLSS experimentation patched into Forza Horizon 5 they'll have it at launch for Motorsport. The implementation has some weaknesses in Horizon that needs work to perfect it. Let's see if they have learned those lessons when this game launches.

Slapping on exhaust or super charger have always changed the cars sound in Forza games

Writer must be mistaken with GT’s vacuum cleaner engine sounds. Amirite?

"The most technically advanced racing game ever made"
Given new technologies like Atmos supported? maybe, because surely not in the realistic area. Forza was always more on arcade side anyway so it should be good game if someone do not expect iRacing or RaceRoom level of realism.
I 100 percent agree. If it can be at least like PC2 on the PC then it will be close enough to sim to enjoy and have fun. But we all know if it’s too sim then people will complain how hard it is to drive with a controller on a tv. I guess we will see. I would rather it to be completely sim but yeah that’s not gonna happen.

I hope they don't over do it with the ray tracing like some other games that ended up making everything look unnaturally shiny and reflective just to show off the tech.
I think the trailer have just showed that. gt7 looks more natural and realistic.

The most simcade and hyped game ever made (since the last version). No way will this have a physics model to compare to something like Assetto Corsa Competizione it would make it too niche unfortunately.

The most simcade and hyped game ever made (since the last version). No way will this have a physics model to compare to something like Assetto Corsa Competizione it would make it too niche unfortunately.
A good amount of car sim enthousiasts still enjoy GT7 even if the physics and force feedback are not as realistic as other games. Also, I've read so many people saying asseto corsa 1 is super realistic, as for me it's just an understeer and tyre squeal fest. So I don't think there's a common agreement one how realistic car sims are or if they should be called simcade or sim, it's mostly subjective, depends on what you focus on (graphics, AI, physics, force feedback, car handling, sound), what cars you've driven, what car categories you prefer, what hardware you have, ...

Back