Freeze when starting games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built my computer from scratch and I'm having a problem when I start up games. Every time I start WoW, BF2, City of Heroes, etc...my computer will freeze right after I double click the icon and the game starts to load. If I reboot my computer and try again, everything works fine so I don't think it is a ram or cooling issue. I have the newest drivers, still no luck. I'd kind of like to fix the problem since rebooting every time I want to play a game is kind of annoying. Other than starting games I don't have any problems with the computer at all. Here's some of my hardware specs:

Athlon FX-55
Asus A8N SLI-deluxe
2 GB RAM
2 x GeForce 6800 Ultras

If anyone has any idea what's going on with this I'd appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

What psu do you have?

Is it supplying enough power for your system?

If your psu is a no name brand, then bear in mind that it will struggle to put out anywhere near its rated power output. Even a good quality psu only achieves around 70% efficiency.

Look HERE at this handy psu wattage calculator. Remember to add another 30% to whatever figure it gives you.

You may also want to take a look at this excellent article on psu`s. The psu thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

A couple more questions......

When the system freezes, does it make it impossible to get to the task manager to see if something is utilizing all resources?

Also, what are you using for virus scan and firewall? If all the games you are trying to play are online games, a badly configured firewall can cause issues. I've also seen some of the older virus scan programs try to scan every file active, thereby slowing or stopping the system.

Just my $.02

I have a 700w PSU so I don't think that is what is causing the problem. I was actually having problems with games shutting down when I first built it and found out I had bad ram and not enough power, so I knocked those two out of the way.

I have the same problem whether it is an online game or not, and on the online games it freezes at the splash screen before it tries to connect to the internet. Right now I'm using some generic virus scanner, I'm updating it right now so we'll see if that does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back