From Ryzen 5 3600 to 5800X3D: The Big Upgrade

Does very well in older and less popular titles.
A great 1080p CPU/high end GPU combo for sure. Not enough to get me excited for 1440p though. Maybe if it goes on sale for half off like the 2700X did.

Last edited:
I was considering one at launch but I will see minimal gains from a 5800X at 3440x1440.

however if I still had my Zen 2 3800X I would have jumped on it right away.

So would a 5600.

I came from a 1600 to a 5600x and barely notice a difference at all. Lightroom and Photoshop didn't get the boost I was hoping for and I'll never game at low resolution or low details so I was never expecting games to be any better.

Unless you have a motherboard that supports a 5800x3D I don't see it as a good option.

I went from a Ryzen 3600 to a i5 12600k with a motherboard for less than the 5800x3D. And from what I have seen the i5 12600k is faster.

Seems to me that the 5800x3D is a bit overpriced.

So if I'm gaming on a 3600x with 3070ti, is it worth upgrading to 5800x3d ? I mostly play games like CivilVI, Read Dead II, The Witcher 3, FM2021, Tom Raider and Metro Rexodus.

That's literally most AM4 boards. Even first generation B350 boards.
I had a B350 board and it did not support it. But that update may have come about after I had already upgraded.
And still the i5 12600k is faster and can be had for just $229 vs $449.
So again you can get a new mobo and faster cpu for roughly the same price.

I came from a 1600 to a 5600x and barely notice a difference at all. Lightroom and Photoshop didn't get the boost I was hoping for and I'll never game at low resolution or low details so I was never expecting games to be any better.
How did you decide on a 5600X?

I had a B350 board and it did not support it. But that update may have come about after I had already upgraded.
Like I said: most AM4 boards. If first gen board does not support X3D then blame the manufacturer. And no 12600K is not faster. Not when we consider that 12900K is a few percentage points slower/faster at any given resolution from Steve Walton's testing.

Like I said: most AM4 boards. If first gen board does not support X3D then blame the manufacturer. And no 12600K is not faster. Not when we consider that 12900K is a few percentage points slower/faster at any given resolution from Steve Walton's testing.
I watched some benchmarks and you appear to be correct. But depending on the game it's close enough.

You might take a closer look at the B350 bios compatibility issue. I just bought a 5600x to replace the 1800x in my Gigabyte AB350-gaming 3. Initially it was stuck in a bootup loop. Funny, because I had flashed it with the latest bios. A closer looked revealed that Gigabyte has several 'latest' bioses, depending on whether you have a Vermeer, Cezanne, 4000 G-Series CPU. They even have a bios just for 5800x3d. For a generic 5600x Vermeer, the correct bios name starts with the letter 'T'. Switching bioses solved the problem. For $195, it truly transformed the old AB350. I looked close at the 5800x3d, but money is not an issue, so I'll probably pimp out a new Zen 4 setup when they become available.

What happened to Fortnite, why has that dropped off your list again? It uses hardware a bit differently to most doesn't it and is quite cpu intensive. I just upgraded from the 3600 to the 5600x which seems fine and at less than half the price of this 5800x3d, I can't imagine the extra cost of which is justifiable.

I was considering one at launch but I will see minimal gains from a 5800X at 3440x1440.

however if I still had my Zen 2 3800X I would have jumped on it right away.

Really? I'd have thought the ultrawide would be GPU limited. I have a 3800X and a 2070 super and the same resolution, and I'm pretty sure upgrading my CPU wouldnt do anything for me?

Really? I'd have thought the ultrawide would be GPU limited. I have a 3800X and a 2070 super and the same resolution, and I'm pretty sure upgrading my CPU wouldnt do anything for me?
That is a GPU limited res but there are still gains to be had going Zen 2 to Zen 3 even at that res.

You also can't just focus on average fps. The .1% lows will be much better on Zen 3.

Last edited:
You might take a closer look at the B350 bios compatibility issue. I just bought a 5600x to replace the 1800x in my Gigabyte AB350-gaming 3. Initially it was stuck in a bootup loop. Funny, because I had flashed it with the latest bios. A closer looked revealed that Gigabyte has several 'latest' bioses, depending on whether you have a Vermeer, Cezanne, 4000 G-Series CPU. They even have a bios just for 5800x3d. For a generic 5600x Vermeer, the correct bios name starts with the letter 'T'. Switching bioses solved the problem. For $195, it truly transformed the old AB350. I looked close at the 5800x3d, but money is not an issue, so I'll probably pimp out a new Zen 4 setup when they become available.
I sold the motherboard and cpu along with some other older stuff so no need now.
I ended up going with a i5 12600k and new board.

Back