G.Skill is readying 4,800 MHz memory and 32GB DIMMs

Greg S

Something to look forward to: G.Skill is getting awfully close to 5GHz memory that does not require sub-zero cooling. When extreme speed is not a need, dual capacity DIMMs with twice as much memory will help out builders of small form factor machines.

Several weeks ago we learned that Samsung is prepping higher density memory for consumer desktops, but now G.Skill is doing the same and has some new memory in the works. The Trident Z RGB DC series arrives in 32GBx2 memory kits and is intended for use on Intel's Z390 chipset.

Previously, placing 16 DRAM integrated circuits onto a module was the industry standard. G.Skill is pushing the bounds and doubling this to 32 ICs per module. In order to make room for twice as many components, the Trident Z RGB DC modules are taller than G.Skill's regular Trident Z RGB memory.

At launch, only three Asus motherboards are officially supported for the double capacity memory. Asus is G.Skill's launch partner and can support the high capacity modules on the ROG Z390 Maximus XI Apex, ROG Maximus XI Gene, and ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming. Check out all of the Asus Z390 motherboards to compare their differences.

Trident Z RGB DC memory will be available at frequencies of 3000MHz and 3200MHz. Timings of 14-14-14-34 are available for both frequencies. There will be a third option of 14-15-15-35 for 3200MHz.

Should memory speed be a concern, G.Skill is also debuting 4500MHz and 4800MHz Trident Z RGB memory. Just like the double capacity variants above, Samsung B-die ICs are used to achieve such performance.

Sold as 2x8GB, the 4800MHz 19-22-22-42, this set of memory maxes out Intel's XMP presets. Of course, somebody will find a way to get past 5GHz, but that is a discussion for another time. The 4500MHz being tested on a ROG Maximum XI Extreme above keeps the same timings but is sold at a 4x8GB kit.

Pricing and availability is not yet known, but expect to pay more for these somewhat niche offerings. It is expected that G.Skill will provide further information in the coming weeks once Intel's Z390 platform is in the hands of consumers.

Permalink to story.

Ram speed doesn't make much of a difference for the price premium you end up paying. For example, 2133 Mhz DDR3 versus 3000+ Mhz DDR4 has only 4.0% difference in terms of gaming. But you pay much more. Go to youtube and search "Does ram speed make a difference" and educate yourself. I'd rather save the money and spend more on a faster video card or even CPU. The GPU is the main bottleneck.

Ram speed doesn't make much of a difference for the price premium you end up paying. For example, 2133 Mhz DDR3 versus 3000+ Mhz DDR4 has only 4.0% difference in terms of gaming. But you pay much more. Go to youtube and search "Does ram speed make a difference" and educate yourself. I'd rather save the money and spend more on a faster video card or even CPU. The GPU is the main bottleneck.

RAM speed and the Ryzen platforms do tho no? 2133 vs 3.6+

Linus tech tips say Ram speed doesn't make much of a difference but other videos are showing it does. Weird that Linus is wrong.

Linus tech tips say Ram speed doesn't make much of a difference but other videos are showing it does. Weird that Linus is wrong.
It depends on what what was tested. Also Linus doesn't normally go into a lot of details and tests only a few things.
In their defence, their RAM speed video was posted on Apr 20th 2017, when AMD still had problems with RAM compatibility and you had to loosen timings a lot to get high MHz RAM to work, negating most of the benefits.
Since then, the BIOS updates AMD pushed improved the high speed RAM compatibility a lot and also lowered the latency. Game/software updates also helped them with better management of the threads across CCX modules.

Last edited:
Apparently it makes a difference in Intel builds as well, especially if you have a powerful graphics card like a 1080 (which I do).

Linus is very limited in scope, and testing max framerates tells only a quarter of the story.

Anybody who plays large scale RTS games knows that scaling with RAM speed has little real limit. Supreme commander, a game from 2006, still sees benefits from jumping up to 4400MHz+ on intel builds, and ryzen in general can see huge performance jumps with higher RAM speeds, as its infinity fabric is tied to RAM clock.

There is also minimum frame times. Again on RTS games, minimum times and latency both see large improvements with fast RAM. MMOs also benefit if they are fairly demanding hardware wise, simply due to the size of the world. And with many modern games sucking up memory like candy, that high speed DDR4 helps reduce latency VS DDR3 on a huge number of titles.

If you only play CoD and FIFA, you wont see the difference of course. But if you play memory hungry games, faster RAM is a godsend. It's like playing fallout 4 on a HDD vs a SSD. The SSD version has far less texture popin and texture glitches thanks to the faster storage medium allowing the game engine to load assets correctly, but no framerate test shows that. It's more of an observable thing.

Apparently it makes a difference in Intel builds as well, especially if you have a powerful graphics card like a 1080 (which I do).

Finding that to be true with i9-7900x and RTX 2080 Ti... bumped up to faster much tighter cas ram which has given the 2080 Ti a nice frame rate increase

That's an awesome build!

Thanks... I just decided to give 7900x system a refresh with Intel 905P SSD, X550-T1 nic, AE-5 sound card, TridentZ cl15-35-T1 3600 ram, RTX 2080 Ti - working on moving over to EK full waterblock for motherboard so everything is liquid.

It’s been such a solid system I’m going stick with it a while - one other systems is near matching 8086k and 2950x - I’ve become a big fan of having all lanes to cpu.

Thanks... I just decided to give 7900x system a refresh with Intel 905P SSD, X550-T1 nic, AE-5 sound card, TridentZ cl15-35-T1 3600 ram, RTX 2080 Ti - working on moving over to EK full waterblock for motherboard so everything is liquid.

It’s been such a solid system I’m going stick with it a while - one other systems is near matching 8086k and 2950x - I’ve become a big fan of having all lanes to cpu.

What case are you using. Can you post a pic of your PC master race monster rig :p

What case are you using. Can you post a pic of your PC master race monster rig :p

At this moment its in Corsair 780T:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Graphite-Series™-780T-Full-Tower-PC-Case/p/CC-9011063-WW

However, just picked up Thermaltake Level 20 GT RGB:
https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Full_Tower_/Level_20/C_00003283/Level_20_GT_RGB_Plus/Design.htm

Being the X299 Asus Apex VI is EATX it limits things a tad with case options (once add large radiators and such in).

I'm still debating between going with full EK water block for motherboard, or actually going with Alphacool 140mm CPU cooler, and Alphacool RTX 2080 Ti 240mm full block cooler leaving the VRMs to the fans I have on them now.

$762 for custom loop... this part comes out of own pocket, no way I can put that on as work project - so giving my pause:

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW5bbe614db7240

Last edited:
Wow cool. post pics when it's all done. Why the Thermaltake case and not Corsair's offerings? I like the Thermaltake case you chose. But is there a special reason you chose it? How's this one?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/570x-rgb-config/p/CC-9011098-WW

Apex being EATX board won't fit, other feature I've learned to be cautions of (for this type of build) is for top radiator space to be able to fit thicker and slightly over-sized (at least 360mm).

I have this case also:
https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_00002732

I'm considering letting the EATX motherboard cover the cable holes and re-route the cables so as to be able to use this case.

The Thermaltake G20 is beautiful case and easy to work with, however the mid-frame radiator mounting area (behind motherboard) doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy (not much in the way of exhausting the hot air from behind the motherboard).

Back