Gabe Newell says more Valve games are coming, gives verdict on Cyberpunk 2077

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Some gamers were disappointed when they discovered the next Half-Life entry was a VR-only game, but its success has spurred Valve into creating more games. That's according to boss Gabe Newell, who also gave his opinion on Cyberpunk 2077 in a recent interview.

Newell, who's been in New Zealand since the start of the pandemic, was speaking to 1 News. "We definitely have games in development that we're going to be announcing," he said. "It's fun to ship games."

'Half-Life: Alyx – Final Hours,' an interactive storybook written by Geoff Keighley, reveals how Valve worked on several games that were ultimately canceled, including Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3. But Newell's confirmation that Valve is announcing its in-development titles suggests they'll be seen through to completion.

There's also good news for fans of Valve's single-player games. "Alyx was great—to be back doing single-player games, that created a lot of momentum inside of the company to do more of that," Newell added.

When faced with more questions about whether these future games might include Portal 3 or even Half-Life 3, Newell replied: "I've successfully not spoken about those things for a long time and I hope to continue to not talk about them until they are moot questions. The nice thing is, by not answering those questions, I avoid the community coming up with new, equally-difficult-to-answer questions."

The Valve founder also gave his opinion on Cyberpunk 2077. He said there are a lot of "very happy users" on Steam, praising the "tremendous amount of work" CD Projekt Red put into the project. Newell gushed that parts of the game are "just brilliant."

"I have a lot of sympathy with a situation that every game developer finds themselves in," he said. "All I know is that there are a lot of very happy gamers in the PC space, which are the ones that are most visible to us."

"Everybody knows that if you're in this business, expectations are high, and if you do it well people are going to let you know and if you failed to meet those expectations they're going to let you know--that's part of why it's a fun industry."

Permalink to story.

I assume we'd see a Portal 3 along with a Half Life 3. The wait is just sad and pathetic at this point...as if they are competing with Duke Nukem Forever.

As for Cyberpunk, anyone with a PC and adequate hardware to play it knows that Cyberpunk is a great game that was never going to work on consoles. The PC Version tends to score between B+ and A- while the PS4 version drops overall scores below C.

I ignore the PS4 / XBOX ratings and mock them.

You ain't running that game on a HDD with such weak internals.

As long as particular game makers create restrictive games, they will earn the distaine of the market place and lose revenue accordingly. While some might consider it a stretch, it's not a lot different than posting signs like "whites only" or "no women allowed". If you can't cover the entire market you are discriminating and if you don't mind the label, keep it up! But if you want to be seen as one that serves all, you're going to have to put in the work.

As long as particular game makers create restrictive games, they will earn the distaine of the market place and lose revenue accordingly. While some might consider it a stretch, it's not a lot different than posting signs like "whites only" or "no women allowed". If you can't cover the entire market you are discriminating and if you don't mind the label, keep it up! But if you want to be seen as one that serves all, you're going to have to put in the work.

What's this got to do with the article though?

I have no problem with Valve focusing on VR titles for the next few titles. But eventually they'll have to release normal games too :)

HL3 is going to need to have the portal tech/gun in it! When Portal 1st came out, at the time I theorized the development of that whole game was just to develop and polish the portal tech and game play mechanics associated with it to be able to fully integrate and incorporate into HL3. Would be amazing.

But er... that just says, douche company makes douche move takes money from 2 sets of console owners knowing full well their product was not good enough to sell.
It should have been a new console/ new pc hardware game and marketed as such. It was not.
Personally though I played the game, and the tutorial had a flaw. Not even into the actual game and it dropped a clanger. Then I do the first bit of driving, Test Drive - Acolade. 1980's game, and the graphics are the same as back then almost, the handling the same as back then, my word. They hit the retro nail on the head there.

This makes NO sense.

Following this logic one is discriminating if one doesn't serve every potential customer in the world at one's job. That's not discrimination that's not even possible.

What I find funny is that people were crying about image's not loading right. I popped in FARCRY ( yes the first one) and it did the same crap CYBERPUNK did where some images weren't fully shown until you were a few feet back!

Why would my new rig I built a few months ago do this Ryzen 5 3600, and my first SSD drive & RX 580 but my old Phenom 965BE and RX560 and even my old 7790 didn't have that problem. My old school 1TB hard drive didn't have this problem.

Sorry for being random but I just installed the game a week ago or two and after seeing this thread I had to say something lol.

I assume we'd see a Portal 3 along with a Half Life 3. The wait is just sad and pathetic at this point...as if they are competing with Duke Nukem Forever.

As for Cyberpunk, anyone with a PC and adequate hardware to play it knows that Cyberpunk is a great game that was never going to work on consoles. The PC Version tends to score between B+ and A- while the PS4 version drops overall scores below C.

Dont give CD Red excuses. The game runs like *** even on top rigs. It was rushed on all plat forms and was/is still far from ready.

Dont give CD Red excuses. The game runs like *** even on top rigs. It was rushed on all plat forms and was/is still far from ready.

I have some of the best possible equipment and it ran fine for me. I have NO COMPLAINTS on my 3090.

The only people complaining are people watching a damn FPS counter and looking for something to complain about.

This guy reminds me of the guy in 'Blast From the Past" that owns the flop house bar/church not cause he looks like him though he does but because all he said in this article was...It's the Mother

Last edited:

This is, quite possibly, the most ridiculous comment I've EVER seen on TechSpot, and that's saying a lot.

You are equating a developer limiting their game distribution to a racist or misogynist.

You, sir, need help.[/QUOTE]

Back