Galaxy S9 rumored to cost around $100 more than the S8

midian182

Staff member

There are only a few weeks to go before Samsung unveils the Galaxy S9 at Mobile World Congress. And while it appears that the new handset won’t be vastly different from last year’s S8 model, one thing that is supposedly changing is the price. Reports say that this will be the most expensive Galaxy S phone ever.

Korean site ETNews (via Gizmodo) reports that the Galaxy S9 may cost somewhere between 925,000 and 1 million won, which is between $875 to $925. Additionally, an industry insider told Techradar that Samsung’s upcoming flagship would be priced at £789, or $1095. That’s £100 more than the S8’s UK launch price.

Taking into account currency exchanges and sales taxes, which are quite high in the UK, it’s estimated that the Galaxy S9 will be priced somewhere between $800 and $850 in US—quite a leap from the S8’s starting price of $720.

It will be interesting to see how many people rush out and buy a phone that features incremental improvements over its predecessor while costing around $100 more.

A saturated phone market has seen flagships become increasingly expensive over the last few years, culminating in Apple’s $1000 iPhone X. The Cupertino company sold fewer iPhones in Q4 than it did during the same period last year, but the high prices meant it made more money on each one that it sold.

Today, there are some excellent handsets available for almost half the cost of high-end devices from Samsung and Apple, like the OnePlus 5T. But as long as people keep buying them, expect flagship prices to continue creeping upwards.

Permalink to story.

And I will continue to not buy flagships.

Flagships should cost $650 at most, not 800, certainly not 1000. The 300-400 market is where its at now.

Flagships should cost $650 at most, not 800, certainly not 1000. The 300-400 market is where its at now.
I wouldn't have a problem with buying a flagship device if the device was supported for more than one year. And by this I mean guaranteed on-time software updates for at least four years. If Google comes out with a new version of Android the device better get that new version of Android within one month of release and get each new update for those four years.

Yeah... I know, keep dreaming.

Meanwhile I have my iPhone 7 Plus that's a little over a year old and Apple is still supporting it with new iOS version releases. So if I do the math that makes buying the iPhone 7 Plus out to be roughly $400 a year which is pretty darn good.

And people wonder why I went with the iPhone instead of some expensive Android device made by an OEM that doesn't care about you or your year old device.

It will be interesting to see how many people rush out and buy a phone that features incremental improvements over its predecessor while costing around $100 more.
No it's not. This has been this way from the 3rd or 4th iteration. Marginally better phones at a big premium.

And yet all those Android buyers who had no intention of bying iPhone X felt it necessary to complain about its price...

...while completely ignoring the lack of a 128GB version - which means the real price was over $1150 since I needed a 256.

I guess I will be skiparoorriiiinnng this gen and probably ditch Samsung in 2 years after my S8+ is lacking...

Trying to be X even in price is not the right formula to be successful you know. Expect them to copy the faceid sensors.

I wouldn't have a problem with buying a flagship device if the device was supported for more than one year. And by this I mean guaranteed on-time software updates for at least four years. If Google comes out with a new version of Android the device better get that new version of Android within one month of release and get each new update for those four years.

Meanwhile I have my iPhone 7 Plus that's a little over a year old and Apple is still supporting it with new iOS version releases. So if I do the math that makes buying the iPhone 7 Plus out to be roughly $400 a year which is pretty darn good.

And people wonder why I went with the iPhone instead of some expensive Android device made by an OEM that doesn't care about you or your year old device.
Agreed. I'd hapilly pay $1000 for an android phone that had

A.) 5 years of guaranteed updates
B.) An AOSP google-free option
C.) a removable battery ala older notes and S series
D.) Unlocked bootloader/easy root option

It'd probably be cheaper to build my own at that point.

I'm joining the icrowd, when the S10 comes out I'll probably switch my S6 for an S8 at an uber discount :)

Well I have a oneplus 3 that was about $400 when I bought it almost 2 years ago and I'm runin oreo so....that's like $200 per year? lol...

Back