Geforce 6600 gt and entire system

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't really matter what we think of it. It matters if it's what you need. If it does everything you want, fast enough, and you're happy, that's all that matters. So if you're happy, great you got what you need.

that's a nice video card. the rest of the system seems beefy enough but that 2800+ is no great shakes if youre serious about gaming or want something more out of the system.
considering your motherboard and processor, you could realize significant performance gains if you overclocked your processor.
there are many risks and i am not telling you this is a good idea: it is a mere suggestion. if you are interested in overclocking reply and say so and we could get into it in detail.

zephead said:
that's a nice video card. the rest of the system seems beefy enough but that 2800+ is no great shakes if youre serious about gaming or want something more out of the system.
considering your motherboard and processor, you could realize significant performance gains if you overclocked your processor.
there are many risks and i am not telling you this is a good idea: it is a mere suggestion. if you are interested in overclocking reply and say so and we could get into it in detail.
Oh yeah...I am really wanting to overclock my CPU...my friend who helped me build this PC said I should overclock it...now how about them details... :)

System up to par

Good motherboard and ram. The processor will handle just about anything you throw at it. The video card is good also but I would have opted for a 256mb version.

Nice rig

The whole rig is nice, but you have to put it all into perspective for the uses of the PC. As for the video card, its strong, yea it doesnt have 256 but the DDR3 is smoking fast.

before you overclock - do you have a way of seeing and monitoring the cpu temp from windows?

keep in mind - overclocking, if done properly, can yield significant gains in performance with little or no expenditure. you also run the risk of destroying your computer and certain expensive parts.

making sure your cpu doesn't get too hot is critical. in your bios you should be able to change the system bus speed. move it up in increments and use cpu-z to confirm your results in windows. run some demanding applications and/or leave the system running for a day or two to test for reliability. you may also want to change your multiplier setting, but do so in small increments. once you have either reached the point where the system will no longer run properly or are satisfied with the gains, you are done overclocking. good luck.

I may end up getting a better video card down that road...for now though it can handle about everything I throw at it on high settings so that's good...also just wondering if I do overclock my CPU is it gonna give me better framerates on games? and also I just installed 3dmark free version and ran it a few times and like 1024x768 and I was getting around a 3100 score which is not good...so I got the pro version and bumped up the res. to 1280x1024 and I got a 2011 now I usually have around 35 processes going and at the time I wasn't doing anything like surfing the internet or on any programs...just wondering what I can do to bump my score up...if at all possible...have been playing doom 3 and getting about 20 fps, what's up with that? is it a simple fix I can do to improve performance or is it just the max ability of the vid card? (I have the latest drivers as well) I appreciate your comments...

zephead said:
before you overclock - do you have a way of seeing and monitoring the cpu temp from windows?

keep in mind - overclocking, if done properly, can yield significant gains in performance with little or no expenditure. you also run the risk of destroying your computer and certain expensive parts.

making sure your cpu doesn't get too hot is critical. in your bios you should be able to change the system bus speed. move it up in increments and use cpu-z to confirm your results in windows. run some demanding applications and/or leave the system running for a day or two to test for reliability. you may also want to change your multiplier setting, but do so in small increments. once you have either reached the point where the system will no longer run properly or are satisfied with the gains, you are done overclocking. good luck.

and yes I do have a way to monitor temps...Asus probe 2...cane with my mobo normally around 36 celcius idle

all right, about 80 degrees celsius is the general upper limit, but you should never operate a cpu that hot. keep it below 60 degrees c and you should be fine.

when a cpu is heated too much, the conductive properties of silicon change and the processor will stop working comepletely.

long operating at high temperatures causes thermal streeses and may shorten the processor's operating life.

just be aware of the challenges and possible consequeces...
is it a simple fix I can do to improve performance or is it just the max ability of the vid card?
see if you can alter the AGP bus frequencies in your bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back