GeForce FX5200 AGP 8x 256mb Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My level of knowledge is not beginner, but far from a tech. I have read a lot of other posts regarding problems with this video card - so I am not 100% sure it is a video card problem. I have tried to re-install the drivers to both what EQ suggested (8185 drivers or something) and I have also updated to the newest drivers, which just came out last month.

I installed EQ on my machine in the beginning of september, and used the 8185 drivers that EQ suggested. For 1 month I had no problems at all with anything, and the game would play just fine no matter how long my PC was running for or how long I played for. About 3 days ago, I was switching zones - them my monitor went black and the LED power light was switching between amber and green. After a minute or so, the monitor came back on and the EQ client had crashed. It was at this point where i started taking a look at the video card drivers. Currently i have the most recent drivers available from the Nvidia website - though they are different from the drivers that EQ suggested I download. I switched back to the original drivers from the disk and I was successfully on EQ for about 2.5 hours so I thought the problem was fixed. I got back on EQ yesterday evening - and as I was runnin through a zone my computer just rebooted on its own. It said I had a serious error, and pointed the finger at the Nvidia Drivers for the card. So I put the newest ones on. I tried the game again, and it still does not work.

I don't know if its a Power Supply issue like some of the other posts say.. but my power supply does make lot of noise.. has for many years.. and accordin to the website my computer only has a 160watt power supply.

I DID NOT add any new programs recently, or anything.. and really only use this machine to game on. I did end up re-installing windows for another installation issue I had back in August.

Thank you in advance for your help.

My specs are cut and paste from the gateway website

Processor
Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz
100MHz external bus

BIOS
Intel Corp. PT84510A.15A.0004.P02.0112051220 12/05/2001

Memory
1024MB physical
90% free resources
2 memory slots, 0 free (512+512)

Video
Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Screen Area/Colors: 1024x768 pixels, 65,536 colors
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor: Gateway 4302

Drives
C:\ (FAT32) 76297MB total, 52537MB free
D:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
E:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive

Network and Modem
(net) Atheros D-Link Xtreme N
(net) Intel Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
(net) Microsoft Direct Parallel
(net) WS D-Link Xtreme N - Wireless Intermediate Driver

Operating System
Windows XP SP2 (Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2)
Original setup date: 6/19/2007
DirectX Version: 5.03.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
SWAP FILE DISABLED
File cache managed by Windows

Browser
MSIE 7.0; 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MSN 9.0;MSN 9.1; MSNbQ002; MSNmen-us; MSNcIA
Proxy: No proxy set
HTTP level: direct 1.1, proxy 1.0
Scripting version: 5.6.0.8820

I will replace the power supply. Is there an easy way to tell what size and kind that i need? Or are they just standard? Also, and I feel dumb for saying this, but I just realized.. after 4+ years of my computer being very loud, that it is NOT the power supply that is loud.. it is the Hard Disk. It makes a very loud kind of metallic ringing sound.. constantly.. Is this bad too? Like I said its been going on for quite a long time - as long as I can remember.

Just a standard ATX power supply will do. Back up anything important to you and replace that noisey hard drive too

I replaced my power supply with a 350w unit, and added some new grease to my hotsink. My hard drive tested okay, and sounds fine when it boots, so I did nothing with it. My card still gets extremely hot (burns my hands to touch) but Everquest still does not work. Everything else on my computer runs fine.. though I have not tried different games. Let me know what my next step should be. My video card doesnt have any extra power plugs... and my 160w power supply ran that card for a year or more with no problem.. and i never had a problem with the card turning on.. only using it with Everquest.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back