GeForce GTX 770 Review: Adding Value to High-End GFX?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/678-gainward-geforce-gtx-770/]https://www.techspot.com/review/678-gainward-geforce-gtx-770/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Great review! I'm running two GTX 670's in SLI to game at 2560x1440. This really puts into perspective that it's worth skipping a new generation of cards and upgrading every other year. In fact, all I would need to do is to overclock and I'm certain I could reach comparable FPS. Well done Steven. I enjoy reading all of your work!

This looks pretty cool but I would get we would get a extra 20-50 frame increase when using stable 2month old non beta/alpha drivers, specially as its just came out so there is still quite a lot of work to be done!

Compared to the Radeon HD 7970GHz Edition, which can be purchased for $430, the GTX 770 costs 13% more and in our frames per second testing only provided 7% more performance, while this figure was increased to 13% in our frame time testing.

If the GTX 770 is $450 and the 7970 is $430 then the 770 costs 4.5% more, not 13%. 13% more than $430 is $486. :)

So this is basically the GHz edition of Nvidia cards ?

Honestly it's hard to be impressed by this card. I currently own a 670. The performance difference is nice but this card should be sold at the same price as the 670. This is usually how it goes when a new generation comes out. The bump in power consumption and price from a 670 makes the around 10fps increase in performance not all that great.

This card is basically performing like a 7970GHz for the same price as the 7970GHz. Worst if I'm to believe Anandtech. Nvidia lost its load power consumption and temp advantage. The load power consumption and temp of this card are mostly the same as a 7970GHz. There's a reason I went with the 670. The 680 and 7970 were too expensive and so is this card. It's a good thing tough. No reason to upgrade.

Wow, that is one good looking card! Love the mounting bay for the fans, looks sick.

Nice card. Just ordered a 780 after having a 660 for almost a year. To be honest, despite being a budget card, the 660 played every game I threw at it at highest or close to highest settings. The main reason the new cards are more appealing is because they've increased the "Cuda cores" substantially which means things like Adobe CS will render much faster...which was the only reason I could justify the expense. As usual for most, it's a two generation upgrade rule to make the numbers work.

Honestly from those benchmark results all I see is that using two 660 Ti's is better value for money than anything in the new 7xx series =P

T
Still yet 13% is hardly worth complaining about, if you prefer one over the other.

P.S. Congrats on the 1000 postings!

And you're right... if you're spending $450 on a card, $30 one way or the other isn't going to change most people's minds. There aren't a ton of choices in that price range.

That's a Sexy looking cooler on that card, I really like the look and the three fan performance plus it seems to make that card heavily overclockable (At least for an air cooled). Looking like a 680 that's overclocked like that, its a nice card, I really wish it had the same amount of ram as the 780, but I had already heard it was basically an overclocked 680 awhile ago.

Awesome card and an decent price especially considering a 680 is still more than it and this is essentially a higher clocked 680. I really hope they put that cooler on some other models of cards cause I like after market coolers like that.

Ive seen some of these on newegg for as low as 400 with different aftermarket coolers, that's a great price point for a card like this. Its only missing that nice 3gb of DDR5 from the 780, I was just hoping for that since last round the 670 had the same as the 680, so I was thinking they might continue the trend for higher resolution setups.

Either way though, awesome card for the money with that sweet cooler, if I built another air cooled system, I would want my GPU's to have that cooler on it!

Well at least the performance/price ratio increased unlike the Titan and 780. Although that's comparing to the GTX 680 which was released over a year ago and hasn't budged in price so that's not saying much.

That's a Sexy looking cooler on that card, I really like the look and the three fan performance plus it seems to make that card heavily overclockable (At least for an air cooled). Looking like a 680 that's overclocked like that, its a nice card, I really wish it had the same amount of ram as the 780, but I had already heard it was basically an overclocked 680 awhile ago.

Awesome card and an decent price especially considering a 680 is still more than it and this is essentially a higher clocked 680. I really hope they put that cooler on some other models of cards cause I like after market coolers like that.

Ive seen some of these on newegg for as low as 400 with different aftermarket coolers, that's a great price point for a card like this. Its only missing that nice 3gb of DDR5 from the 780, I was just hoping for that since last round the 670 had the same as the 680, so I was thinking they might continue the trend for higher resolution setups.

Either way though, awesome card for the money with that sweet cooler, if I built another air cooled system, I would want my GPU's to have that cooler on it!

Too bad there are no Gainwards here in the US.

Too bad there are no Gainwards here in the US.

Yea that's a shame, it's a real nice card. But who knows, evga has done some cards with a similar cooler (it was different than this style but its close) so we can hope another company will put one out like this!

Yea that's a shame, it's a real nice card. But who knows, evga has done some cards with a similar cooler (it was different than this style but its close) so we can hope another company will put one out like this!

I am really digging the new Windforce x3 from Gigabyte. I never liked the old Windforce, but the new one is swanky.

Have not seen it, looking it up now.

Oh wow, that does look a lot cooler than its ever looked.
GTX 670 Windforce 3x:
Gigabyte-s-WindForce-3x-GeForce-GTX670-Video-Card-is-Official.jpg

GTX 770 Windforce 3x:
gigabyte_geforce_gtx_770_windforce_tpu.jpg

The improvements are minimal, but they definitely make for a nicer card.

If the GTX 770 is $450 and the 7970 is $430 then the 770 costs 4.5% more, not 13%. 13% more than $430 is $486. :)
The calculations are moot. The GTX 770's MSRP I believe is $399. My guess is that Nvidia kept the true price close-to-the-chest to avoid AMD pre-empting the launch with price cuts to the 7970GE.

The Gainward Phantom could indeed be $450, but it probably isn't representative of pricing at the moment.

Thanks for another solid review Steve.

I just picked up a GTX 680 off eBay for $320 shipped. The highend market is dumping them for Titan or the GTX 780 at crazy low prices. I figured the 770 was going to be the same card, but I was impressed how much faster it really is... except the power consumption. WIth that much higher TDP, I could easily OC the GTX 680 to equal performance levels, and save $100. However I perfer the lower power, and lower heat output. I agree with the comment above, this was a rushed launch. If Nvidia got this thing to run at the speeds it's at now, with less than, or equal to, TDP/Thermals than the GTX 680 I'd have to seriously consider my decision. I feel that's the goal they should have tried to hit.

ROFL! Sorry about that. Guess that number would be quite a nice boost, eh?

Back