getting a lot of error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an almost 6 year old Dell Dimension XPS T running Windows 98se. It has an 800 MHZ Pentium III processor and 256 MB RAM. I have EZ ARMOR anti-virus and firewall installed (which uses Zone Alarm technology). Back in the middle of January, it finally decided it didn't want to boot up anymore, so I had a new hard drive installed and the original drive made into the D drive so I could still access data from it. It worked fine until about a week ago. Sometimes when the system boots, it doesn't load the yellow speaker icon in the SYSTRAY. If this happens, the system doesn't function properly and I have no sound. This can usually be remedied by re-booting (sometines twice). Now I've started getting error messages when I try to shut down. It's always the same "VSMON caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown>". Then it either locks up, necessitating using the reset button, or sometimes I can shut down by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL. Sometimes get a blue screen saying " OD (or OE) caused a fatal exception error, etc. etc."

After using my computer yesterday, I went to turn it off and I got a pop up message saying "this program performed an illegal function" and locked up (So I don't know what program it was except it probably was the VSMON). I hit the RESET button and when the system booted up again, only the top half of the monitor showed anything. I then hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, hoping I could reboot. A pop-up again displayed and in it were two programs that it said were not responding - VSMON and MSGSRV32. I totally powered down, unplugged my cable modem and waited a while. Then I tried to power up again. It booted okay this time, but when I went to shut down again, there was a pop-up saying "MSIMN caused a stack fault in module KERNEL32.dll". I haven't knowingly made any changes to the registry and I haven't downloaded any online software or opened any e-mails from unknown sources. I'm not even sure what part of the registry to check or what to look for. AdAware didn't find any significant problems and a CW Shredder scan was negative. A virius scan of the WINDOWS folder didn't find anything. But now I can't run SpyBot anymore - that too causes system freezes.

I's like to know what's going on here. Thanks for any advice!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean.

Uninstall Zonealarm and use a different firewall. This is what`s probably causing your problems. Vsmon is part of zonealarm.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back