Ghost, let me make sure before I make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Ghost, let me make sure before I make things worse.

If I add a second hard drive temporarily as a "slave" and use Ghost to clone the master to the slave, am I correct in assuming the following:

if I have problems with the original hard drive, I could reformat the drive add the "ghosted" drive as a slave and with Ghost transfer the "cloned" info to the original HD?

if I had imaged instead of cloned I could do the same as above?

If my assumptions are not correct or if there is a better way what should I do?

P.S. I do not want to leave the slave drive in the machine.

I guess the bottom line is what is the easiest way to get info back on the original hard drive using ghost on a Windows 98 machine with a floppy and CD-ROM?

Basically, yes. Just make sure you have some Ghost "rescue" disks (The floppy variety) and you are set.

Regardless of what condition your Ghosted® disk is in (half-way formatted, unpartitioned.. or just plain screwed up), Ghost will restore the image from your storage drive to the target disk in its perfect entirety.. Sector by sector, byte by byte..

Ghost is very reliable, quick and despite the poor DOS-like interface, is probably the best imaging software in my opinion.

Just make sure you have those floppy disks to get into Ghost in times of emergency, so you can restore your hard disk when necessary.

i have a dedicated partition on my machine for drive image files, which are essentially just the same as norton ghost files.

everytime I make some major changes I give it a bit of time to see if everything is fine, then I update the images. I usually keep the image before that as well, so that if something emerges later I can go back to that.

I've seen a single update from windowsupdate.microsoft.com make my machine unbootable; i've seen a single updated driver trash the whole installation.

what you are doing is wise.

I"ve never really thought of that before. I think I might look into it as a good backup. I know P66 has talked to me about it before, but it never really sunk in.

I also agree that it is a smart idea.

Thanks for the info.

It gave me the confidence to "ghost" and it works great.

I'm going to put a NIC card in the machine I want an image of so I can get it to my machine to burn it on to a CD.

The "imaged" machine is going to a "newbie" friend.

May this coming year be heathy and prosperous to us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back