Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review

Linus recently did a video on these, he found that thunderbolt 3 connections aren't great for this type of work, when compared to Alienware's PCI Express implementation. Thunderbolt 3 is a pretty big bottle neck due to it sharing it's bandwidth with other system devices. It should be mentioned that even if your laptop does have a beefier CPU, thunderbolt 3 will then be a bottle neck.

Last edited:
Linus recently did a video on these, he found that thunderbolt 3 connections aren't great for this type of work, when compared to Alienware's PCI Express implementation. Thunderbolt 3 is a pretty big bottle neck due to it sharing it's bandwidth with other system devices. It should be mentioned that even if your laptop does have a beefier CPU, thunderbolt 3 will then be a bottle neck.

True but even so this makes so much more sense financially, and yeah coming from an iGPU it works rather well ;) Since there is absolutely no better alternative I'll take it!

Did you use an external display?

As Burty117 pointed out we know that thunderbolt 3 is the bottleneck of this feature and if you use an external display connected with the I/O ports of the external GPU you could save some bandwidth that will give you some benefits in terms of performances.

I think that a GTX 1070 is way too much for the 2c/4t that Intel provides right now inside our ultrabooks. Something like a GTX 1060/RX 570 is a wiser choice.

Hoping this will the start of low cost and more improvement with this technology. I really like this to take off.

Have to agree that gpu is way to fast for a dual core cpu with HT.

You need a quad core cpu at the minimum to push it.

I like the size of the box and it is better than nothing at the end of the day.

I think these are ao cool, A few years ago if someone was to tell you that you could have an external gpu I'm sure most people would have laughed at the idea, now look and it's so simple to just plug in an use. So awesome.

"Unfortunately there is a bit of coil whine from the power supply, noticeable when the GPU is fully utilized."

This may actually be the GPU, I have the mini 1070 from Gigabyte and it has a slight coil whine at about 60% RPM and higher, and it's regularly stated issue with the card. Not unbearable just, annoying.

Looks like a good overall idea, but for an ultraportable I'd prefer a GeForce 1060, lower power PSU and even smaller box, all for $200 less. (I'm assuming a market where a 1070 goes for the $350 suggested price, and not a 1060.)

Really, I'd really rather have something as small and as cheap as possible, just to get something playable at low settings. A GeForce 1030 would be good enough for that.

Hopefully AMD's Raven Ridge will provide decent entry level gaming for ultraportables.

(Speaking of the 1030, has TechSpot managed to procure one for testing?)

My question is , what is using a more capable CPU like a i7-6700HQ would the performance be much better ?

Can it run using PCI express connection (I read that some article but disable the laptop wifi or something) considering the laptop using Thunderbolt is not widespred yet .

I bought a laptop from PCSpealist in the UK, with custom built hardware.
Chassis & Display Octane Series: 15.6″ Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920×1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060
Power Supply 1 x 230W AC Adaptor
USB 1 x USB 2.0 port
3 x USB 3.0 ports (USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port (Type-C)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port (Type-C) Thunderbolt Combo Port
Thunderbolt Yes (via USB 3.1 Port)
So is this laptop support this eGPU enclosure

Hi,
Just wondering what is GTX 1070 gaming box benchmark score.
I am using lenovo x1carbon 5th gen with i7-7600U 8G Ram

For 3Dmarks Firestrike I got 7,000pt for total.
Graphic score is 13,000 but physics are low.
Should I change physics in nVidia control panel?

+ also Unigine Valley, I got 1,200pt.

I am wondering my performance is lower than this review even if I have higher cpu option.
Please let me know:)

I have a laptop with i7 12 GB RAM and 940mx graphic card but it doesnt have thunderbolt 3.0 or type c port
can I still use this and if yes please let me know how
and will it perform better on my laptop

thanks

I doubt anyone will see this but if you do;
My pc has a gtx1050ti but I'd want to boost the performance. Will the 1070 work with or instead of the 1050??

I bought a laptop from PCSpealist in the UK, with custom built hardware.
Chassis & Display Octane Series: 15.6″ Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920×1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060
Power Supply 1 x 230W AC Adaptor
USB 1 x USB 2.0 port
3 x USB 3.0 ports (USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port (Type-C)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port (Type-C) Thunderbolt Combo Port
Thunderbolt Yes (via USB 3.1 Port)
So is this laptop support this eGPU enclosure
This will work but you have a 1060 so it's fairly pointless

Back