Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 (1280MB) Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Nvidia's GeForce GTX 580 may be the current king of the hill, but this could change before the end of the year when AMD launches their new Radeon HD 6900 series. So with the real high-end battle still to take place Nvidia is not sitting around waiting for AMD to strike back. Instead, they are getting ready to release their second GF110-based product: the GeForce GTX 570.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/346-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-570/

Please leave your feedback here.

Nvidia are being brave putting this out before AMD release their newcomings! Good on them I say ;) Power draw is getting much better for Nvidia now XD

Seemed a bit biased. Why was there no comparison to a 460 sli setup? Why does he keep saying the amd 6900 series cards are 'weeks' away when it has been known for weeks that they are out on Dec 15th?

I'm glad Nvidia and AMD keep forcing each other to produce faster/cheaper cards. I own both and always base my purchasing decisions on which has the best bang for the buck on the day I need it. I buy in the just under $300 range so the 570 is just a bit high for me at the moment, but it looks like a card I might be interested in in the new year. I hope amd beats it on price, if not performance, with the 6950 next week. Keep the rivalry alive.

Anyway, just posted because of the irritation factor. It seemed like the author might have been paid to leave out or fudge a few important details about price performance competitive setups and amd's release date next week.

My two bits.

Guest said:
Seemed a bit biased. Why was there no comparison to a 460 sli setup? Why does he keep saying the amd 6900 series cards are 'weeks' away when it has been known for weeks that they are out on Dec 15th?
The only solutions that are going to give the GTX 570 a run for its money are Crossfire or SLI setups using Radeon HD 6870 or GeForce GTX 460 graphics card configurations.
They may not have been benchmarked, but they are at least mentioned. It's only a matter of looking for another review with a similar test bed to make comparisons.

And the whole week/weeks thing is basically semantics. =p\

I'm with Guest. I think GTX 460 SLI should be a standard in card comparisons these days. It's become one of the most popular configurations if not the most popular in the history of PC gaming builds. I've seen GTX 460 cards in the $150 range now making two of them $50 cheaper than this 570. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that the 460 SLI rig provides better numbers.

Just sayin'... ;)

Nice card. Starting off with a single cards only review makes sense to me. The majority of video card owners still use single card solutions over sli or cross fire despite their increase in popularity. SlI/crossfire reviews can come later to help establish the best options for those who would consider such a route.

Xero07 said:
The majority of video card owners still use single card solutions over sli or cross fire despite their increase in popularity.

It's true, althought I believe this trend is changing with time; as you mention, this technologies (SLI/XFire) have increase in popularity, probably because most motherboards have at least both Pci-express x16 slots, in fact, I barely see a motherboard which sports only one slot, most of them being mini-Itx... with this in mind, not only enthusiast, but also mainstream, budget minded gamers choose to upgrade by buying another middle class card, and not spending a treasure buying the top of the line card...

About the 570... Hell of a good card... If I had the money and my board was Sli compatible It would be on my christmas list... I'll have to stick with my pair of 4830s for some time...

Good review but except for maybe the hotter temperatures while playing games for a long time I'm still happy with my 470 and don't regret buying one about 3 weeks after release =P

Seemed a bit biased. Why was there no comparison to a 460 sli setup?
I'm with Guest. I think GTX 460 SLI should be a standard in card comparisons these days.
mmm...probably because LGA775 is still the most dominant socket for the majority of gamers. Nvidia chipsets aside, do you see many SLI-capable 965P, P35, P45, X38 and X48 boards around?....and the percentage of SLI capable AMD chipsets ?
Like it or not the majority of gamers still use one physical discrete card. I'm sure both TS and various other sites will in due course cater for the non-mainstream GPU variations
It's become one of the most popular configurations if not the most popular in the history of PC gaming builds?
Because you run the same setup ? The GTX 460 SLI still has a long, long way to go before it reaches the iconic status that the 8800GT/8800GTS (512Mb) SLI enjoys
Why does he keep saying the amd 6900 series cards are 'weeks' away when it has been known for weeks that they are out on Dec 15th?
You mean where it says....
...or did you miss that due to mental bandwidth saturation before getting to page thirteen ?
And I'll bet dollars to donuts that the 460 SLI rig provides better numbers.
Just sayin'... ;)
Gaming is about smooth gameplay not numbers Tom. From Kyle Bennett's GTX 580 v GTX 460SLI review:
In all of our gameplay testing, we were surprised how well GTX 460 1GB SLI keeps up with the more expensive GeForce GTX 580. While it comes close, and at times exceeds it in framerate, it doesn’t deliver the same gameplay experience

...Kyle's Just sayin'...;)

Xero07 said:
The majority of video card owners still use single card solutions over sli or cross fire despite their increase in popularity.

thats true, the last numbers I saw had crossfire users at under 3% triple and quad numbers were a fraction of a percent.

LOL...you're judge and jury now divide?

I'm asking for the 460 SLI to be included because it is a dominant build in today's PC gaming rigs. Why else would you see a number of websites (including the one you referenced), doing the "460SLI vs X card" reviews? Go look at the literally thousands of "I have a 460SLI rig" postings in NewEgg and TigerDirect reviews as well as tech forums throughout the Internet. The point being is that you can go the SLI route and save yourself a considerable chunk of change for near similar performance

Which was quite emphatically pointed out in Kyle's review (which you conveniently neglected to also cut and paste):

"If you are on a budget, and want to get into the NV Surround and/or SLI game, there is no questioning that GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI is the best value. It provides high framerates and incredible SLI scaling. We are continued to be impressed by GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI."

As long as you can do the 460 SLI for 300 bucks and it throws up the numbers it does, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be compared to the $350 and higher cards as comparison for bargain hunters.

LOL...you're judge and jury now divide?
Simply pointing out the factual numbers Tom
I'm asking for the 460 SLI to be included because it is a dominant build in today's PC gaming rigs
Obviously....thats why the GTX 460 makes up 1.32% of cards in the Steam HW survey...what percentage of the 1.32% do you think are SLI'ed ?
Why else would you see a number of websites (including the one you referenced), doing the "460SLI vs X card" reviews?
Uh, maybe because it's a combination that can be used in a system build. Using that argument is somewhat flawed considering the same websites also review GTX 480 SLI ( here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here to show but a few -and not including the copious 3-way and 4-way SLI reviews...or are these dominant builds also?
Go look at the literally thousands of "I have a 460SLI rig" postings in NewEgg and TigerDirect reviews as well as tech forums throughout the Internet
Because as we all know, these postings are very reliable. I'd probably also say that going by forums/tech sites that of the (hypothetical number) 30,000 GTX 480's built, at least 50,000 are in SLI/3SLI/4SLI rigs.
BTW Newegg and TD are showing a total of 1264 combined reviews
The point being is that you can go the SLI route and save yourself a considerable chunk of change for near similar performance
No argument there Tom. What I am pointing out is that a very large proportion of gamers are unable to use SLI
Which was quite emphatically pointed out in Kyle's review (which you conveniently neglected to also cut and paste):
I didn't use it Tom because it isn't germane to the point I'm making. See above.
As long as you can do the 460 SLI for 300 bucks and it throws up the numbers it does, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be compared to the $350 and higher cards as comparison for bargain hunters.
Kind of cuts TS out of another review down the track wouldn't you say?

If TS also included HD 5850/6850/5870/6870 CFX (and 3CFX/4CFX where applicable) and GTS 450/GTX 470/480/570/580 SLI (and 3SLI/4SLI where applicable) Techspot's Steve Walton and the editorial staff could then save themselves some considerable time by condensing all the reviews into one- thereby being able to devote the entire front page to the really pressing issues of ongoing piracy and infiltration by Eastern Europeans and the mainland Chinese?

This just confirms the death of the GTX480.

For $50 cheaper, not only do you get the same or in some cases exceed the performance with a GTX570, but it runs cooler and uses less power.

But I'm also waiting to see the next AMD cards for comparison.

Otherwise, I think I might just go with the 570. It's a much better value than the 580

Amazing performance for the dollar here, Now, here's hoping some people start selling their 470's for these, so I can get a nice SLI/Surround setup going.

Good review Steve & TS, wish you guys did have a few more variations to compare against but it is understandable that keeping all those cards around and time requirements aren't always feasible. Curious to see what the 6950/6970 has to offer now next week.

Guest said:
This just confirms the death of the GTX480.

My thoughts exactly, I guess Nvidia just wants to put the 4xx series to rest and they are doing a great job.

Nice review, good job Steven and TS.
The 570 looks like a good card, alot better than the 470, even a little bit better than the 480.

I own Metro 2033, and the game most certainly has a built in benchmark. It was included with the free Ranger DLC Pack. It is in the steamapps\common\metro2033 folder and is called Metro 2033 benchmark.exe.

I own Metro 2033, and the game most certainly has a built in benchmark. It was included with the free Ranger DLC Pack. It is in the steamapps\common\metro2033 folder and is called Metro 2033 benchmark.exe.

It most certainly didn't when we began benchmarking with it, our benchmarking brief for the game was written when we first started testing with it and since then gets copied and pasted into every graphics card review.

We will continue to test using Fraps rather than the benchmark that 4A Games added 6 months after release as we prefer this method to canned benchmarks.

Curious to see what the 6950/6970 has to offer now next week.
Judging by the collective mood swing and pricing leaks on the web, I'd probably say that the refresh season is a re-run of the Evergreen v Fermi show. That is to say...
HD 6950 < GTX 570 < HD 6970 < GTX 580 < HD 6990 (somewhat late to the party-Q1 2011)
AMD-centric sites (i.e. Beyond3D etc.) now seem fixated on Cayman "winning" on die size and performance/mm² and less "GTX 580 killer" rhetoric.
Taking into account the first-cab-off-the-rank over exuberant pricing ( fwiw OC.UK spilt the beans on pricing a week ago ~£350 HD 6970 and ~£250 HD 6950) and factoring in the increased cost of the boards (2Gb of 6GHz GDDR5), the original estimates* circulating on the net seem more plausible by the day. If the HD 6970 was the "GTX 580 killer" that many AMD-philes/fanboys were expecting I don't think the launch date would have slipped from the 22nd November (original NDA expiry date) to 15th December (present NDA expiry date)

* roughly 380-400mm² die size, 1536 shaders (1408 for HD 6950), 900MHz core (800 for HD 6950), 32 ROP, 96 Texture units, <225w TDP (<200 for HD 6950)

Back