Google Earth question

Ok, so the 91 is tenths?
To be precise, it's actually hundredths. But yeah, .91 rounds down to nine tenths.

That throws a curve into what you're used to seeing, which would be feet ('), then inches (").

Kind of makes you scramble a bit to remember your fraction to decimal equivalents. The most annoying / confusing part is, you're never taught "twelfths". Normally the progression of two presents itself most often in the denominator. I think ".91 of a foot", (in inches), would be 10.92". Rounded out, and expressed as a fraction, that would be, "11/12"......*nerd*

But the question remains, after the first 39 or so thousand miles, who cares?:D

The .91 miles though would be 4804.8' (feet). Then 4804' 9.6".

So actually, it becomes a significant figures type issue which I've always found to be a bit confusing. Which then would go back to CC's point that its 39,000 miles (well I might round up to 40,000) that is going to be good enough when you consider this question spawned from GE.

Mea culpa! In my own "defense", I was really stoned when I posted the whole "inches" thing.:D

It is kind of funny though. I suppose you could say I missed it by about 9/10 of a country mile...:confused:

Back