Google is working on a social network that brings people together based on shared interests

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Google+ might have closed down, but it seems Google isn’t giving up on creating a social media platform. The company’s experimental Area 120 workshop group is working on a new app called Shoelace, which sounds quite different from the likes of Facebook and Instagram.

Shoelace, which uses the tagline “Supercharge your social life,” isn’t focused on posting photos, videos and updates; instead, it’s designed to connect people with shared interests through in-person activities, making it ideal for those who’ve just moved to new cities.

Once users have listed their interests, it will recommend some hand-picked local activities, which it calls “Loops.” Android Police notes that Shoelace is similar to former Google app Schemer. That particular event organizing app launched in 2011 but shut down three years later.

Available on Android and iOS—no web version, yet—shoelace is currently invite-only. It’s only available in New York right now, but the ultimate goal is to expand to cities across the US, though that could take some time. If you’re interested in trying it out, just fill in this form.

Despite showing signs of promise, Google+ never achieved anything close to Facebook's level of success. Following the discovery of a bug in one of its People APIs that exposed private user data to third-party developers last year, Google decided to close the platform. Its shutdown was brought forward to April 2 when another data leak was discovered.

Google has killed off around 171 services, apps, and pieces of hardware during the company’s existence, including Google+ and Schemer. Will shoelace eventually join them? You can see the full list of shuttered products on this website.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how people would react if all the search engines and Facebook shut down tomorrow. I wonder how companies would react if they were no longer allowed to gather massive amounts of data on their customers without good cause. What a sick, sick world this has become.

"social network that brings people together based on shared interests". So, same thing Orkut used to do more than 10 years ago...

Isn't that what topical forums like Techspot do? I mean if my interests were knitting, shark hunting, or pounding gerbils up my behind, I wouldn't have bothered joining here.. :rolleyes:.

(Oh, I can see some of you out there muttering to yourselves, "IF ONLY"). :laughing::p

Last edited:
Looks like I'm the black sheep here again.

I think this looks like a promising idea. Maps integration looks like a good idea as long as it's not pin point accurate.
Find people NEAR YOU who share the same interests. The other big players or websites don't do that.

Eg, Imagine you've got a PC troubleshooting problem you can't get your head round. Now you can post pictures to forums all day long and advice from a remote person can only go so far.
For me actually being in front of the problem almost always ends in solving it. Whether it be due to experience or having enthusiast level tools.

Find someone near you instead of 1) suffering with limited assistance or 2) taking it to a parasitic ripoff repair shop.

It would actually be a good way to meet like minded individuals in real life which social media doesn't easily facilitate imo.

Looks like I'm the black sheep here again.

I think this looks like a promising idea. Maps integration looks like a good idea as long as it's not pin point accurate.
Find people NEAR YOU who share the same interests. The other big players or websites don't do that.

Eg, Imagine you've got a PC troubleshooting problem you can't get your head round. Now you can post pictures to forums all day long and advice from a remote person can only go so far.
For me actually being in front of the problem almost always ends in solving it. Whether it be due to experience or having enthusiast level tools.

Find someone near you instead of 1) suffering with limited assistance or 2) taking it to a parasitic ripoff repair shop.

It would actually be a good way to meet like minded individuals in real life which social media doesn't easily facilitate imo.
Do you mean "parasitic repair shops" like Best Buy?

Other than that, this has all the potential for scams ripoffs, and an unlimited source of plots for TV process dramas. (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, to name just one).

Besides, this is just the latest in a string of, "great ideas", which Google is in the process of abandoning and summarily deleting users files.

Here's a small sample of a much longer email:

You've received this email because you have a consumer (personal) Google+ account or you manage a Google+ page.

In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers' expectations. We want to thank you for being part of Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos and other content.

Last edited:
Back