Google One is now available to everyone in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Competition in the consumer cloud storage space is fierce with major players like Google, Microsoft, Dropbox and Amazon all competing for your business. Google's new price points and perks serve as a differentiator - now, how will the competition respond?

Google One, the search giant’s revamped cloud storage offering for consumers, is now available to everyone in the US following a limited rollout that began a few months back.

Pricing starts at $1.99 per month for 100GB of storage. Google is also offering a plan with 200GB of storage for $2.99 per month as well as 2TB, 10TB, 20TB and 30TB options for $9.99, $99.99, $199.99 and $299.99 a month, respectively. The 15GB of free storage is sticking around, it seems, although you only get storage – no extra perks.

Google One allows users to share their storage with up to five family members, each with access to all the other benefits of Google One.

With Google One, you also get one-tap access to tech support experts and, oddly enough, savings on hotels found through Google Search. Google is additionally handing out credits for Google Play although details on amounts and how to get them weren’t mentioned in today’s post.

Business users will still be best served by G Suite.

Google One is available to users in the US and over the coming weeks, it’ll be expanding to additional countries. To upgrade your existing Google Drive account, simply head over to the Google One website.

Permalink to story.

Google...who lied about location history and stores it anyway wants YOU to put all your personal data on their servers and trust them not to look.... LMFAO!

Give me a large hard drive any day over cloud storage. My data, my backup, multiple locations on multiple drives

And also the permanent fear of losing it. And it being a pain to keep a USB-C cable around for using storage with your smartphone. Plus, the extra headache of multiple backups (a big security plus -- but a huge hassle).

Google Drive has made a huge difference in my practice. Dropbox is a little easier to use but too pricey.

*External hard drives + flash drives still have a place -- but are unnecessary for word files, photos, etc. They are good for large files (like movies or games).

Sure, why not? The ultimate in privacy invasion - store all your personal information on the internet! Even your kids! It's amazing how many suckers there are out there.

Sure, why not? The ultimate in privacy invasion - store all your personal information on the internet! Even your kids! It's amazing how many suckers there are out there.

There is this new technology that you can use. Not many people have heard of it, apparently. It's called encryption.

They can't read your data if it's encapsulated and encrypted before you send it to them.

There is this new technology that you can use. Not many people have heard of it, apparently. It's called encryption.

They can't read your data if it's encapsulated and encrypted before you send it to them.

You realize there is this concept called hacking? Not to mention if you lose your own encryption key. Do you think people who upload this stuff know what encryption is or how to do it? Do you think the software used to back up your data to the internet encrypts or if it does, by default? The 0.001% of the population might know how.

These companies are banking people don't, and are making a killing off of it.

I'm not really clear on the perks, or if those listed were them all, which is un-amusing. However, the pricing is really good and I've noticed that those things you really need to backup are usually not that big so the 100-200gb tiers tend to be enough.

You realize there is this concept called hacking? Not to mention if you lose your own encryption key. Do you think people who upload this stuff know what encryption is or how to do it? Do you think the software used to back up your data to the internet encrypts or if it does, by default? The 0.001% of the population might know how.

These companies are banking people don't, and are making a killing off of it.

I would also like to add that my company decrypts traffic our internal encrypted traffic before it goes out to the internet, then re-encrypts it. If it can be done internally no doubt it could be done externally. Although I will admit I am not the firewall engineer on the procedure. It has screwed me from being able to view certain ssl websites because the decryption is not 100% yet.

I would also like to add that my company decrypts traffic our internal encrypted traffic before it goes out to the internet, then re-encrypts it. If it can be done internally no doubt it could be done externally. Although I will admit I am not the firewall engineer on the procedure. It has screwed me from being able to view certain ssl websites because the decryption is not 100% yet.

If you encrypt a file with a key/phrase that only you know and send it out a MITM'd connection, they still would need to crack the encryption on the file itself.

Encryption isn't as flawed as you believe.

If you encrypt a file with a key/phrase that only you know and send it out a MITM'd connection, they still would need to crack the encryption on the file itself.

Encryption isn't as flawed as you believe.

It was written by humans. It can be cracked by humans.

Encryption isn't as flawless as you believe.

A recent example is the government hiring a 3rd party company to crack the iPhone. I presume you were one of them that thought it couldn't be. But that is a bit presumptuous of me. Need more examples?

It was written by humans. It can be cracked by humans.

Encryption isn't as flawless as you believe.

A recent example is the government hiring a 3rd party company to crack the iPhone. I presume you were one of them that thought it couldn't be. But that is a bit presumptuous of me. Need more examples?
How much did it cost them again?

Ya um bs. Tried to check it out yesterday and got told they are still slowly rolling it out so I had to sign up to be alerted.

And also the permanent fear of losing it. And it being a pain to keep a USB-C cable around for using storage with your smartphone. Plus, the extra headache of multiple backups (a big security plus -- but a huge hassle).

Google Drive has made a huge difference in my practice. Dropbox is a little easier to use but too pricey.

*External hard drives + flash drives still have a place -- but are unnecessary for word files, photos, etc. They are good for large files (like movies or games).
I've got 3 copies of everything in 2 locations all at full quality. I have no worries of a drive failing. Do you have worries of the cloud service stopping trading and losing access to ALL your files?
My internet upload speed is 5Mbit/s and I have 6.5TB of data so far (photos and videos).
1. there is no way I am paying £1200 a year for this much cloud storage.
2. there is no way I can upload it all before I die! lol
3. 8TB drive is £200, bargain!
4. there is nothing on my smartphone to save, it's all on a micro SD card, plus my 3 backup drives

Back