Google planning to spend $1B on Internet satellites, says WSJ

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google is planning to spend more than $1 billion on low-Earth orbit satellites to bring internet access to unwired regions of the globe, according to the Wall Street Journal. Details are scarce at this time, but it is being speculated that the project will probably start with 180 small, high-capacity satellites orbiting the earth at lower altitudes than traditional satellites.

Depending on factors like the network's final design, the number of satellites, and more, the project's projected price could exceed $3 billion.

The venture is headed by Greg Wyler, founder of satellite-communications startup O3b Networks, who along with the company's former CTO has recently joined Google. The search giant has also been hiring engineers from satellite company Space Systems/Loral LLC to work on the project.

Google has long sought ways to extend Internet coverage from the sky. Last June, the company unveiled Project Loon, an experiment with high-altitude, solar-powered balloons to provide broadband internet access. Back in April this year, it acquired Titan Aerospace, which is building solar-powered drones to provide similar connectivity.

Meanwhile, Facebook, which was also said to have been interested in Titan Aerospace, is also putting in similar efforts to bring Internet access to underserved regions of the globe. Both the companies are counting on new Internet users in these regions to boost revenue, and ultimately, earnings.

Permalink to story.

An interesting way to gain new potential customers.
They'll make their money back tenfold, the only thing is they should've started this project sooner. The boys (& girls) at Google sleep at night when they are supposed to, not on the job.

The current users of today will be paying for it. I am not so sure that there will be any more real money though, because I don’t think that there is anymore spare money in the world.

However, looking at it on a grander scale, for the evolution of mankind, it is a necessary leap. Otherwise the current users of today will be paying for it in another way.

From DW.UK

The current users of today will be paying for it. I am not so sure that there will be any more real money though, because I don’t think that there is anymore spare money in the world.

However, looking at it on a grander scale, for the evolution of mankind, it is a necessary leap. Otherwise the current users of today will be paying for it in another way.

From DW.UK

Huh? I don't know about you, but that check I write to Google every month to use their search engine and Gmail doesn't really break my budget.

Details are scarce at this time, but it is being speculated that the project will probably start with 180 small, high-capacity satellites orbiting the earth at lower altitudes than traditional satellites.
Interesting... I thought most satellites like this were geo-synchronous, meaning they orbited at exactly the speed the earth turns so they stay directly above the area they want to cover. I believe this means they have to be at a precise height. I could be wrong though, and who knows maybe Google found away around it.

Back