GPU Availability and Pricing Update: October 2021

Since I build my first PC until now I never paid more than 250 USD or 250 Euro for a GPU card.
Those were mid cards budget always. I personally refuse to pay more than this sum.
Looks like the good old GTX1060 and the spare RX570 will have to do for the years to come.

I don't really buy the OP's argument.

Logically, GPU's sell at these absurd prices b/c ppl are buying them like crazy and there's even a few ppl (1 posts here) that buy 3 or 4 or 5 GPU's they don't need just b/c they can.

So long as ppl continue to buy at these ridiculous prices it is obvious that prices will never, ever normalize.

P.S.: ETH is gonna go proof of stake around the same time we will see the coming of the Lord.

I picked up a 6800XT for $1500 CAD two days ago and was able to sell my RX580 for $500 to a miner. So cost to me only $1000 think I did good considering whats going on with the market.

Another possible slow down for GPUs being gobbled up for ETH mining is that POS is looming and folks may be waiting to see when or if it will actually go into effect.

Prices are still a bit whack for scalping. I've got a 3080 coming in for $900 that should be delivered today. I could easily turn around and get $1400+ for it.

Sadly, though, I can't afford to get a RTX 3090 FTW3 like some people here.....I'm still just a lowly whelp with a 3080.

I bought my RTX 3070 back in March for about $800 and last month was able to sell my old RX 570 for $200 - actually got a small profit compared to what I paid for it new

Discreet GPU prices affect DIY market, but prices are kind of normal and may be below than MSRP in Pre-builds with seasonal/festive discounts.
For example the Zotac Magnus mini box with 3060 and 11th gen i5 bare-bone is selling here for 1100 USD. Which is a very good price when the GPU itself is selling for 800+ USD. You add SSD and RAM and it's done.
Similarly, the 3070Ti variant is priced around 1700 USD.

So if someone is building new I would really suggest looking at pre-builds with discount. Yes they don't have the best selection of parts and cooling, but there are pretty decent options out there which can be improved upon with little time and investment.

As always, thanks for keeping us updated!

I was in Microcenter yesterday and almost fell over! They have plenty of 6900XT's but were priced at $2500.....OUCH! No wonder they had so many on the shelf.

Right? I should just throw my 3080 FTW3 in the trash, junk GPU.
It might be for the best since you're just a lowly whelp, too. You've only got a 3080. If you're not sporting 1 or 2 of the RTX 3090 FTW3 cards, you might as well not even call yourself a gamer.

As always, thanks for keeping us updated!

I was in Microcenter yesterday and almost fell over! They have plenty of 6900XT's but were priced at $2500.....OUCH! No wonder they had so many on the shelf.

You can find 6900XT from newegg for less than what most of them are selling for at MicroCenter. I don't know why MC keeps the prices so high on those cards.

Since I build my first PC until now I never paid more than 250 USD or 250 Euro for a GPU card. Those were mid cards budget always. I personally refuse to pay more than this sum. Looks like the good old GTX1060 and the spare RX570 will have to do for the years to come.
Same here. I got my GTX 1660 for £158. AMD & nVidia want £420-£560 for an RX 6600 / RTX 3060 generational replacement? LOL, no. I'll just keep what I got, and if the newest unoptimised AAA performance turd doesn't run well on it, there's plenty of fish in the backlog.

It might be for the best since you're just a lowly whelp, too. You've only got a 3080. If you're not sporting 1 or 2 of the RTX 3090 FTW3 cards, you might as well not even call yourself a gamer.

You can find 6900XT from newegg for less than what most of them are selling for at MicroCenter. I don't know why MC keeps the prices so high on those cards.

Yup I was seeing Reference models of the 6900XT for $1600 CAD on Kijiji in Canada this week. Only reason I didn't pick one up was the guy with the 6800XT for $1500 was closer to me distance wise. All of the 3rd party cards are super overpriced and difficult to find.

I picked up a 6800XT for $1500 CAD two days ago and was able to sell my RX580 for $500 to a miner. So cost to me only $1000 think I did good considering whats going on with the market.
No one's swaps can beat what I did.

Sold a 2080ti for $1050 in August 2020 bought a 3080 Asus tuf day 1 for $730 sold that and swapped my way up to a 3080 ftw3 ultra no out of pocket costs.

Then when 3080ti launched did a straight swap with a miner for exact same card (ftw3 ultra) but 3080ti for my (better at mining) regular 3080.

So I went from a 2080ti xc3 to a 3080ti ftw3 ultra for -$320 (yes that's nagitve as in money IN my pocket not out)

That doesn't even account for my upgrade to the 2080 ti from a sli 1080 setup also put about $200 in my pocket back then.

Last time u spent money on a gpu upgrade was in 2017 and even that was only a bit $300 per card again due to selling my precious 980ti sli setup.

I've been doing this since the 780's and ultiamtley when you average things out I've only spent about 250 a year to stay at the ultimate best performance you could really ask for now going on 9 years.

Please, explain to me where the law of offer and demand is regulating prices with the practice of bundling? Shouldn't this be illegal?
I thought the "invisible hand" was supposed to auto-regulate the market, right?

After months of joining the Newegg shuffle, I finally had the opportunity to buy an ASUS RTX 3060 TUF Gaming video card. I had to get a microATX ASUS Intel motherboard with it, but I decided to buy it anyway.

I've had reoccurring black screen issues with my 5700 XT since launch. RAM and PSU swaps had no effect and I finally got frustrated enough to go back to team green.

Back