GPU Pricing Update: Hardware Still Overpriced?

I only wonder if this market's gonna stay this way from now? So my best bet then, get my hands on any "big" ampere for ~700$ and forget about GPU's for next 5-6 years! And I mean literally, since I forgot about it afte I've got my 1080Ti for the same money back in may 2017....

It's been no surprise to see that demand for the RTX 4070 Ti has been relatively weak for a new GPU

My understanding is that recent news shows the 4070 selling better than the other new high-end cards that are out, at least in Germany. I suspect this is largely due to people being tired of waiting and the 4070 has the lowest price of the new crop of cards.

"But the good news is that unlike in 2021, gamers aren't rushing to spend big dollars on a poorly priced graphics card, so the bad practices of GPU manufacturers aren't being rewarded and eventually they'll be stung into action"

Nope no good news over the horizon.

I guess it's more a fact that all that bought a GPU in last two years were the ones that got some money to burn. The rest of us who didn't get one will not get one for this scores. A used one? maybe if priced right.
And the GPU manufacturers will slow down the GPU die's or sit on them for some months still hoping to skin us again. It will be a while until they burn the profits done last two years. Slow but our time will come when they will beg us to buy their stuff.

Be brave gents!

If you are in the market for a mid-range GPU, that 6700 XT or 6650 XT just can't be beat. Those are not bad prices and considering what we have seen thus far, those will still be good prices for those cards for quite some time. That's what I have recommended to anyone that has asked me and so I probably sold at least 3 6700 XTs for AMD/MSI. I have a 3080 by the way, but if I were budget building today, the 6700 XT would easily be my choice. I doubt that the even 7700 XT will be a better value when it launches.

What I think that you should do is show the value increase between the RX 6000/RTX 30 and RX 5000/RTX 20 eras and compare that to the increase between the RX 6000/RTX 30 and current RX 7000/RTX 40 era. As things are, the RX 7900 XTX looks pretty damn good but if you compare its value preposition to the difference between the RX 5700 XT and the RX 6700 XT, it would probably look terrible based on MSRP.

It was a fun little hobby while it lasted. It's dumb and boring now though. Plenty of other things to enjoy.

TBH I haven't enjoyed the new AAA games for several years anyway, and even if I did I don't see how they're better on PC anymore, the consoles have Directstorage 1.1 and NVME SSDs, and all of the hardware optimized purely for gaming. PCs used to have a hardware edge and modding was great for a bit in in the 00s through mid-10s or so, but nowadays even that is fairly limited with games being locked down and modding tools not getting released. The AAAs would rather sell you DLCs and MTs than modders putting stuff in.

Older games do run fine on mid-range hardware, but even older mid-range still works fine for most of it. And low end/igpu actually works fine for many indies. PC components badly need a reset, it had to happen eventually. My guess is Jensen doesn't even really want to be in the business anymore, and is just bleeding things out until it collapses, that would also explain why close partner EVGA jumped ship---Nvidia absolutely must have kept them informed and could have conceded for such an important partner, but instead they kind of just quietly urged them to move on.

I was going to wait for N32, but since it seems to be MIA I went for a RX 6800XT Red Devil, which was ~20% under the normal prices here in Denmark (5333DKK). I upgraded from a GTX 1070. The cheapest 4070 Ti is 6999DKK

I'm waiting for the 5080 from nVidia and then I will buy a 7900x3D to go along with it and I'll upgrade all of my family's 13 computers.

So far a new GPU + CPU does not make sense till we have graphics cards designed to use PCIE 5.0. After all PCIE 5.0 is the big new thing for both intel and amd.

I'll be experimenting with a used RTX 3080 from eBay, you can get one for around $500 if you are a little patient. In terms of value it's good at that price and considerably faster than the 2080 I have right now, now let's see if it's not a lemon abused during the mining heyday.

I only wonder if this market's gonna stay this way from now? So my best bet then, get my hands on any "big" ampere for ~700$ and forget about GPU's for next 5-6 years! And I mean literally, since I forgot about it afte I've got my 1080Ti for the same money back in may 2017....
A quick check on USA Newegg shows that the 4070Ti is $300 cheaper (around $800 and available) than any of the 3080Tis. It's also slightly faster. If you're gaming at 1440p I would forget about 3xxx series- which still isn't being discounted, and snag a 4070Ti. There seem to be plenty in stock.

A quick check on USA Newegg shows that the 4070Ti is $300 cheaper (around $800 and available) than any of the 3080Tis. It's also slightly faster. If you're gaming at 1440p I would forget about 3xxx series- which still isn't being discounted, and snag a 4070Ti. There seem to be plenty in stock.
Unfortunately, I'm not from US, so those 800$ easily turn into over 1000 per one 4070Ti for me. And local prices for 4070Ti are the same, 1100 for Palit version -> up to 1500 for 4070Ti TUF.

Anyway, I agree, 3000 leftovers prices here totally broken aswell, varying from 900$ up to 3000$ per any decent AD102, sometimes you can snatch "new" AD102 for less than 750$ from shady shops. And I'm really not in a hurry to swap my current GPU, since I need fullcover for custom loop aswell.
I guess I'll just swing to laptops - right now I see Strix G15 with 3070 and 5800H onboard waiting for it's owner just for 1470$

Yeah, one would think that the 3000 series would be available at great discounts now, but that just hasn't happened. In May 2022, when GPU prices were still outrageous, I caught an unannounced, 24-hour flash sale on Newegg for an MSI 3080 12GB OC model for $810.

It should get me through the next 3 years for sure. Good luck in your search!

My local Micro Center has over 70+ RTX4 cards in stock.... (XT & XTX are all Sold Out!)

That is why there are plenty RTX cards in stock, because they do NOT offer the price/performance of 7900 series. Oddly, the 6900xt was going for $649~$699 for most of the summer... and it seems like you spent too much for you RTX3080...

If you want a discount walk into a Micro Center and ask for a XTX and they will offer you a discounted rtx4080 instead.

Hindsight is 20/20 as the saying goes, so I disagree that I spent too much, considering the market at that time.

Scoring an RTX 3080 12GB model (which is nearly a 3080Ti) for $810 on a flash sale - while the cheapest 10GB models were still selling for $1000+ during several years of crazy pricing - was a good buy. The 4070Ti didn't yet exist, and who could predict what pricing and availability of ANYTHING would hold in the near future, based on recent history.

Yes, only now do we know that the new 4070Ti is roughly 15% faster at 1440p - which I consider merely a slight upgrade. Sure, if I waited I could have scored this somewhat better card for roughly the same price. But there was no way to know. And let's not forget, I have been enjoying this card now for 8 months, which is a value in itself. If you always wait for the best, you'll always be waiting - and missing out. The 3080 12GB destroys my 1080Ti, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger, because none of us can predict the future. I paid $799 for an OC'd 1080Ti in 2017, so this $810 purchase - 5.5 years later - was fine by me. It will serve me very well at 3440x1440p for several years, and when the 5xxx series comes out I'll re-assess my wants/needs.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20 as the saying goes, so I disagree that I spent too much, considering the market at that time.

Scoring an RTX 3080 12GB model (which is nearly a 3080Ti) for $810 on a flash sale - while the cheapest 10GB models were still selling for $1000+ during several years of crazy pricing - was a good buy. The 4070Ti didn't yet exist, and who could predict what pricing and availability of ANYTHING would hold in the near future, based on recent history.

Yes, only now do we know that the new 4070Ti is roughly 15% faster at 1440p - which I consider merely a slight upgrade. Sure, if I waited I could have scored this somewhat better card for roughly the same price. But there was no way to know. And let's not forget, I have been enjoying this card now for 8 months, which is a value in itself. If you always wait for the best, you'll always be waiting - and missing out. The 3080 12GB destroys my 1080Ti, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger, because none of us can predict the future. I paid $700 for an OC'd 1080Ti in 2017, so this $810 purchase - 5.5 years later - was fine by me. It will serve me very well at 3440x1440p for several years, and when the 5xxx series comes out I'll re-assess my wants/needs.

I'm in a similar boat. I was in the market for a GPU back in the summer and all of the buying guides and people on forums were chanting "don't buy, wait!", it made me feel a bit guilty getting an RTX 3080, but after seeing the crapshow that has been the new series of GPU's, I don't regret it at all.

It's easy to get so caught up in maximizing cash to performance that you forget that all you need is something good enough.

I'm in a similar boat. I was in the market for a GPU back in the summer and all of the buying guides and people on forums were chanting "don't buy, wait!", it made me feel a bit guilty getting an RTX 3080, but after seeing the crapshow that has been the new series of GPU's, I don't regret it at all.

It's easy to get so caught up in maximizing cash to performance that you forget that all you need is something good enough.
Well, unless you're pushing 4K, the 3080 will serve us well for at least the next 3-4 years. Let's enjoy what we have!

Base GPU prices are just following the global criminal price levels caused by rich bastards who are manufacturing this crisis. Sorry, I meant caused by "COVID and war in Ukraine", of course. And "climate change", naturally.

Base GPU prices are just following the global criminal price levels caused by rich bastards who are manufacturing this crisis. Sorry, I meant caused by "COVID and war in Ukraine", of course. And "climate change", naturally.
A "crime" is something in which you have no choice. Inflated pricing - when it comes to hobbyist products - is a CHOICE. Too rich for your blood? Then PASS.

I'm not happy with the current market either, but let's stop acting like this is food or electricity. If PC gaming gets too expensive, just get out of it. It's not a RIGHT. No Nvidia or AMD reps are visiting your home and holding a gun to your head.

BTW, if one can score a 3080 12GB/ 3080Ti for retail (which has been possible lately) - it's all 99% of gamers will need for the next 4 years. 4K is silly for most of us; stick with 1440p and you're golden for a long time. If you're at 34" or less, 4K benefits are nearly indistinguishable.

"But the good news is that unlike in 2021, gamers aren't rushing to spend big dollars on a poorly priced graphics card, so the bad practices of GPU manufacturers aren't being rewarded and eventually they'll be stung into action"

Nope no good news over the horizon.

I guess it's more a fact that all that bought a GPU in last two years were the ones that got some money to burn. The rest of us who didn't get one will not get one for this scores. A used one? maybe if priced right.
And the GPU manufacturers will slow down the GPU die's or sit on them for some months still hoping to skin us again. It will be a while until they burn the profits done last two years. Slow but our time will come when they will beg us to buy their stuff.

Be brave gents!

I don't think the manufacturers will want to slow down anything if they can avoid it.

They are desperate to meet their numbers every quarter, and if they are behind, they will ship anything not bolted down to meet that number. This applies to both manufacturers and retail chains that are publicly traded. Privately held companies can act more shrewd.

[The only exception is if they are about to have a really bad quarter; then they will hold back and try to make that one quarter as bad as possible so the next one will look good. Management can survive one bad quarter, but two in a row will start discussions about management change.]

Back