GPU Pricing Update, March 2023: Back to MSRP

Prices are still ridiculous. Unfortunately, that is what we got and probably will stay with us for longer. I will still wait to the next generation with any upgrade, if I decide my current card is not enough. Hope AMD will get as competitive against nvidia as they are against intel, is a better card for my needs and they should get more market and better computing support. It still works best in Linux though.

Prices are still ridiculous. Unfortunately, that is what we got and probably will stay with us for longer. I will still wait to the next generation with any upgrade, if I decide my current card is not enough. Hope AMD will get as competitive against nvidia as they are against intel, is a better card for my needs and they should get more market and better computing support. It still works best in Linux though.
I'm perfectly happy with my 6700xt for the time being. If my 1070ti didn't die I'd probably still be running that. I will say that a 7900xt for $700 would certainly get my attention, AMD is certainly being silly with it's "performance crown" right now. The 40 series stand on a merit of the 4090 and has nothing to offer at it's current price points outside of the professional space, I say AMD has the performance crown because with even a slight price drop on the 7000 series they could steal a significant amount of market share. However, with a 4070 being priced at $750 and the 7900XT being priced at $800 nVidia may be handing sales to AMD. It really is a clown world market we're living in

Prices will never return to 2016 levels, there is this thing called "inflation" and short of the economy going into a 1929 style meltdown that will not be reversed.
I'm perfectly happy with my 6700xt for the time being. If my 1070ti didn't die I'd probably still be running that. I will say that a 7900xt for $700 would certainly get my attention, AMD is certainly being silly with it's "performance crown" right now. The 40 series stand on a merit of the 4090 and has nothing to offer at it's current price points outside of the professional space, I say AMD has the performance crown because with even a slight price drop on the 7000 series they could steal a significant amount of market share. However, with a 4070 being priced at $750 and the 7900XT being priced at $800 nVidia may be handing sales to AMD. It really is a clown world market we're living in
The 7900xtx makes sense at $1k as a 6900xt replacement. It's suitably faster.

The 7900xt should have been $850 at launch.

Prices are only "back" to MSRP in the sense that manufacturers have met the scalpers more than half way and jacked up their MSRP significantly to capitalise. That's evidence in how the price of GPUs has basically doubled in 3 years, when clearly neither inflation nor cost of materials specific to the products can justify this.

It's possible that manufacturers just had no idea how much people were willing to pay for graphics cards. In which case, they were never priced correctly to begin with.

Prices will never return to 2016 levels, there is this thing called "inflation" and short of the economy going into a 1929 style meltdown that will not be reversed.
The 7900xtx makes sense at $1k as a 6900xt replacement. It's suitably faster.

The 7900xt should have been $850 at launch.
I think $850 is still too expensive but we did have the nVidia problem of keeping prices high. AMD released a product that didn't sell well so they had to drop the price. Frankly, I think these cards should be priced no higher than $500 but that's the market we are in and we have the people willing to pay scalper pricing for it. I will say that AMD and nVidia solved the scalping problem by leaving no room on the table for what people are willing to spend.

I think nVidia over estimated how many people would pay absurd prices and now they're just being stubborn. The 7900XT is $800 not but the XTX is holding out pretty strong at $1000. A decent enough spread. the XT should be $500 MSRP to give board partners some pricing around $600 and the XTX should be priced at $650 with board partners being able to charge $700-750. If this was pre-covid I believe those are the prices we would be seeing.

4090 is like 25% faster than 7900XTX at 4K gaming. This is what you pay for + useful RT perf and more + better features.

4080 and 7900XTX are essentially on par for the most part and prices are almost the same as well. 4080 only use ~300 watts tho.

Nvidia obviously have the performance crown, and 4080 Ti and 4090 Ti are coming soon. AMD released the full fat die with 7900XTX and can't really improve RDNA3 any further this time. Slighly higher clockspeeds, nothing else. AMD said themselves that they CAN'T and WON'T match 4090 performance.

4080 Ti will probably only be 5-10% slower than 4090 and 4090 Ti will be 5-10% faster than 4090.

4080 Ti release will mean 4080 lowers in price as well.

I think $850 is still too expensive but we did have the nVidia problem of keeping prices high. AMD released a product that didn't sell well so they had to drop the price. Frankly, I think these cards should be priced no higher than $500 but that's the market we are in and we have the people willing to pay scalper pricing for it. I will say that AMD and nVidia solved the scalping problem by leaving no room on the table for what people are willing to spend.
I think prices are returning to historic norms. I've brought up before the sky high prices of cards like the 8800 ultra, and the only reason tesla/fermi prices were so low was the 2008 financial collapse.

I think nVidia over estimated how many people would pay absurd prices and now they're just being stubborn. The 7900XT is $800 not but the XTX is holding out pretty strong at $1000. A decent enough spread. the XT should be $500 MSRP to give board partners some pricing around $600 and the XTX should be priced at $650 with board partners being able to charge $700-750. If this was pre-covid I believe those are the prices we would be seeing.
I see no way that would be possible. GDDR6 and GDDR6x are far mroe expensive then GDDR5. The nearest example of the 7900xtx's memory I can find on digi key is over $20 per chip. The 7900xtx has 12. That's $240, just in memory chips alone. You also need to throw in silicon cost, PCB, assembly, manufacture, transport, and of course paying off R+D.

At $650 I'd bet it would be a loss leader. Despite the insane price mark ups by nvidia, their margins today are only 9% higher then they were in the fermi era. All that cash is getting sucked up by the industry.

The nearest example of the 7900xtx's memory I can find on digi key is over $20 per chip. The 7900xtx has 12. That's $240, just in memory chips alone.
Graphics card vendors will be buying modules in bulk and directly from the DRAM manufacturers, not a retailer like Digikey, though. I couldn't see any pricing for GDDR6 in large quantities, but DDR4 reduces by 25% when purchasing 500+ units. So it's fair to assume that the likes of Sapphire will be buying GDDR6 from Samsung or Micron at a far lower price than $20 per module.

4080 Ti release will mean 4080 lowers in price as well.

No. This hasn't ever happened in any past generation. Why would anyone think it would happen now?

3080ti release, 3080 msrp unchanged
2080ti release, 2080 msrp unchanged
1080ti release, 1080 msrp unchanged

You get the picture...

I can't believe people feel good about spending this much just to play video games. Several years ago I was thinking of treating myself for audio equipment and I just couldn't justify spending in the $1k+ range just for that. I wound up spending more than that buying things piece meal before deciding I had a problem and that it wasn't worth it, and ended up stopping.

I have spent thousands on building a home gym, but that has life long benefits and is health related, plus those things last forever. But just to play video games? That's insane. The crazy thing is you actually can build a nice home gym for the price of the 4090 or less. But I'm guessing the people that buy a 4090 don't work out or have contact with the opposite gender.

I can't believe people feel good about spending this much just to play video games. Several years ago I was thinking of treating myself for audio equipment and I just couldn't justify spending in the $1k+ range just for that. I wound up spending more than that buying things piece meal before deciding I had a problem and that it wasn't worth it, and ended up stopping.

I have spent thousands on building a home gym, but that has life long benefits and is health related, plus those things last forever. But just to play video games? That's insane. The crazy thing is you actually can build a nice home gym for the price of the 4090 or less. But I'm guessing the people that buy a 4090 don't work out or have contact with the opposite gender.

Who cares what gender you have contact with....also, with all the "wokeness" out there I thought there was like a bajillion genders now. Why are you limiting it to two? I'm offended by your limited genderness-recognition!

On a less stupid note, who cares what others spend their money on. Maybe someone likes to spend their money on poop flavored popsicles....do I think that's stupid? Yes I do, but I don't care what that person wants to spend their money on.

I think gpu market is to be let to its stuck ,as a consumer I only see a decline in my budget and that means that I am not prioritising my hobbies when it comes to spending!! Corona virus made people stay at home, everybody the last couple of years has been buying "things" for home entertainment,hardware and service's mainly ,what is the next step after ?! For sure not GPUs with prices out of Beverly hills !!!LOL 😂 I Can, but I don't,its just a matter of principle !! No value no money ,sooner or later what goes up comes down its just a matter of time and how hard !! Speeding up production and generations of gpus will bring cash flow to companies,changing directions in few days, minutes, years who knows, but its changing mainly because the Cow is dying or is dead already !! Let's see !

Maybe when reviewers show these charts they can somehow include a console entry so we can see how current graphics cards compare in price. It might also be worth thinking about how to test the AI performance of these cards - it doesn't really matter to me (or probably most people) but it might be an interesting metric to see.

FYI microcenter has plenty of 4090s at $1599 in stock currently which can be had at $1519 with 5% membership discount but this might trigger those who paid $2000 plus for theirs. As well as 7900 xtxs at $999 ( $950 after discount), 7900 xt at $799 ( $759 after discount), 6950XT at $649 with cpu purchase ( $618.50 after discount. )
You can pair the 6950XT with a 7600x motherboard combo with 16 gigs of ram
AMD Ryzen™ 5 7600X, MSI MB and DDR5 3-in-1 Combo
SAVE $220
$399.99
436519 REG. $299.99 / 507947 REG. $219.99 / 521633 REG. $99.99
or
AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X, MSI MB and DDR5 3-in-1 Combo
SAVE $390
$499.99
436501 REG. $399.99 / 507947 REG. $219.99 / 440792 REG. $269.99

for slightly over $1k you can have a high end PC today. DIY market is back baby!

The 3060 is going to stay above MSRP until it's replaced by the 4060. I remember looking for discounts on MSRP + free games when I bought video cards.

No. This hasn't ever happened in any past generation. Why would anyone think it would happen now?

3080ti release, 3080 msrp unchanged
2080ti release, 2080 msrp unchanged
1080ti release, 1080 msrp unchanged

You get the picture...

Wrong, it dropped slightly in price, especially after x90 series became a thing.

Before x80 Ti was the top card. Now it's not.

4080 Ti will be slower than both 4090 and 4090 Ti. Obviously 4080 will drop in price. How do you think 4080 Ti will fit in between 4080 and 4090 pricing if they keep their MSRP.

4080 already sells pretty bad, because for 400 dollars more, you can get 4090. 4080 is not bad, it's great (best perf/watt) but 4090 exist for almost same price. People just find 400 dollars more and buy the biggest model. Makes no difference. If 4080 was 999 dollars instead, it would sell like hotcakes as well.

MSRP means nothing post-launch anyway. Stores adjust prices. 4080 has been overpriced from day one, by around 200 dollars. Should have been 999 dollars and I bet it will be when 4080 Ti comes out with 4080 Ti right in the middle between 4080 and 4090 which means 1200-1400 dollar range.

4090 Ti will probably be 1999 dollars and sell with ease. Why? Beause many don't care what the price is, they just buy. If you have money, you look at performance only, not price. Nvidia has known this for years and years. Apple knows this as well. You need to realise that alot of people has tons of money. A few hundred dollars makes no difference in the end.

Last edited:
My personal take is this...

GPUs were gaming machines, until they were useful for crypto mining, which had Nvidia/AMD making a ton more money per chip, so they dedicated their efforts to sell as many chips as possible while that rush lasted.

Normally, that would mean going back to normal. GPUs would be back to gaming-first chips, but now there's an AI rush, and GPUs are once again well suited for the task.

So now Nvidia (primarily them for now), are dedicating most of their efforts and fab capacity at selling chips for higher margins to AI businesses and data centers. There are plenty other uses, too, which means gaming won't be a priority as long as they can make more money for the same silicon elsewhere.

Nvidia/AMD/Intel can still make money from selling gaming GPUs, so they will continue doing so, but price inflation now on new products is partly explained by the above. AMD in particular is tied to the console market with decent success, so the volume they don't necessarily have in PCs are compensated with SoCs.

On the upside, AI will require more and more horsepower, and Nvidia and others will be investing even more resources than ever before on faster chips, and that will permeate the gaming side sooner or later.

My personal take is this...

GPUs were gaming machines, until they were useful for crypto mining, which had Nvidia/AMD making a ton more money per chip, so they dedicated their efforts to sell as many chips as possible while that rush lasted.

Normally, that would mean going back to normal. GPUs would be back to gaming-first chips, but now there's an AI rush, and GPUs are once again well suited for the task.

So now Nvidia (primarily them for now), are dedicating most of their efforts and fab capacity at selling chips for higher margins to AI businesses and data centers. There are plenty other uses, too, which means gaming won't be a priority as long as they can make more money for the same silicon elsewhere.

Nvidia/AMD/Intel can still make money from selling gaming GPUs, so they will continue doing so, but price inflation now on new products is partly explained by the above. AMD in particular is tied to the console market with decent success, so the volume they don't necessarily have in PCs are compensated with SoCs.

On the upside, AI will require more and more horsepower, and Nvidia and others will be investing even more resources than ever before on faster chips, and that will permeate the gaming side sooner or later.
It's true but they are using ai as a scapegoat to keep prices inflated, eg Nvidia dedicating 30k gpus for chatgpt. Since when did 30k gpus cause an atypical shortage to justify inflated pricing? Mining hype was on a different level of insanity imo.
Update. Since mining growth was more linked to greed than anything the end of greed has no limit and thus mining demand was growing at an exponential growth ( limited only by Return on investment net funds as well as inflated energy costs) Vs. ai, will likely have a linear growth overall due to different market conditions ( less scalping and the average person is not going to be using a gpu for ai computing) Unless something changes where one can rent out their hardware for ai computing tasks for sum or fee.

Last edited:
It's true but they are using ai as a scapegoat to keep prices inflated, eg Nvidia dedicating 30k gpus for chatgpt. Since when did 30k gpus cause an atypical shortage to justify inflated pricing? Mining hype was on a different level of insanity imo.

Haven't looked into the volumes/financials, but here we are quoting Microsoft/Nvidia:

"Microsoft used hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Nvidia A100 GPUs and is now upgrading to H100s"

That looks like solid money to be made to me – from a single customer, but there are other big ones with big wallets, too.

Overall, the good news is that price inflation is mostly a thing of the past.

Well, pricing above MSRP, yeah, that's mostly slowing down. But price inflation is here, front and center. When you have GPUs selling for $800-1000 and beyond, there's plenty of price inflation to go around.

Wrong, it dropped slightly in price, especially after x90 series became a thing.

Before x80 Ti was the top card. Now it's not.

4080 Ti will be slower than both 4090 and 4090 Ti. Obviously 4080 will drop in price. How do you think 4080 Ti will fit in between 4080 and 4090 pricing if they keep their MSRP.

4080 already sells pretty bad, because for 400 dollars more, you can get 4090. 4080 is not bad, it's great (best perf/watt) but 4090 exist for almost same price. People just find 400 dollars more and buy the biggest model. Makes no difference. If 4080 was 999 dollars instead, it would sell like hotcakes as well.

MSRP means nothing post-launch anyway. Stores adjust prices. 4080 has been overpriced from day one, by around 200 dollars. Should have been 999 dollars and I bet it will be when 4080 Ti comes out with 4080 Ti right in the middle between 4080 and 4090 which means 1200-1400 dollar range.

4090 Ti will probably be 1999 dollars and sell with ease. Why? Beause many don't care what the price is, they just buy. If you have money, you look at performance only, not price. Nvidia has known this for years and years. Apple knows this as well. You need to realise that alot of people has tons of money. A few hundred dollars makes no difference in the end.
I don't disagree with most of what you say, but, the 4080Ti can easily fit in the mix by pricing at $1400. That's $200 over the 4080 and $200 less than the 4090. Will it sell at that price point? Hard to say, I don't think so. Will the 4080 drop in price? I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. With Nvidia pricing the 4070 at $750, it's clear they don't have a handle on the consumer side of the market.

Back