Graphics card/drivers problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosoup4crr

I had a geforce 7800GT in my computer. It recently died. I took it to a technician to diagnose the problem. He ordered a new graphics card for me and installed a "replacement" card for the half week interim. Now, when I say he installed it, I mean he put it onto the board and nothing else. He didn't have the drivers CD or anything like it. He simply said, "I think i have a spare in the back if you want to borrow it for a while." I said "okay."

It's an ATI Radeon x550 256MB

I'm having problems getting drivers onto it correctly. I tried to go the ATI site, but they want me to buy some BS driverrobot software in order to update my drivers. So, I found and downloaded some replacement display drivers, but I keep getting errors upon install.

I get to the installshield wizard for ATI and choose express intallation. It says, "you have chosen to install Catalyst Control Center, the minimum .NET framwork required is 2.0. Please install before launching application." I press OK.

It then continues on for some reason and gives me an error stating "setup did not find a driver compatible with your hardware and operating system." I pres OK, and it exits intall/setup.

Edit: I also don't know if this plays a roll. But, upon starting up for the first time, windows recognized new hardware...but when trying to find software for it off of the internet, the installation failed. Likewise, when I ran dxdiag to find what model of ATI card had been installed, it didn't display ANY video card in the display section. There's also no "display adapter" heading in the device manager.

First go to Guru 3D and download and install DriverSweeper. Then make sure your nvidia drivers are uninstalled via add remove programs. Then remove any ATI drivers you have installed. Go to device manager double click on display adapters then double click any adapters that show in the drop down menu. Go to the driver tab and click on uninstall. You'll get a warning that you are uninstalling the device from your system. Click on OK and reboot your system. In program files delete any nVidia or ATI folders left from the old installations. Then run driver sweeper to make sure any remnants/orphan files from the old drivers are removed. Your resolution should be really large. don't worry about it. Reboot one more time and install the ATI drivers you have downloaded for the card. If you still get the no compatable driver error try downloading an older driver.

That driver robot thing means you didn't actually go to ATI's website. I've seen that driver robot site and it's not AMD/ATI.

Your problems appear to stem from a lack of understanding of AMD/ATI drivers. You have two options when installing ATI graphics drivers. You can install the driver only or you can install the full Catalyst Control Center Suite. If you want to install the CCC Suite, you need to install .NET Framework 2.0 first. Clicking "OK" like you did does not initiate the install of .NET Framework 2.0. That was not an offer to install it. It was just telling you it was needed. You need to go get it yourself first. The easiest way to get it is to go to Windows Update and go to Optional Updates. Install the .NET Framework 3.5 package. It includes .NET Framework 2.0. HOWEVER, I recommend you install the DRIVER ONLY without the CCC Suite and then you don't have to bother with .NET anything, especially since this is only temporary until you get your Nvidia card back.

Go here for your ATI driver download: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/9-3/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?&lang=English

Download the 15.4 MB driver file. This 9.3 driver is not the most current ATI driver. The 9.8 is but because the X550 is an older card it is no longer supported by current drivers. 9.3 was the last driver that supported the X550.

After cleaning your system of old graphics drivers, install the 9.3 driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back