Graphics ingame turn into purple and green squares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I recently upgraded my computer to AMD 64 3200+, gigabyte k8 triton mobo, 1.5 gig of ram, and a BFG 6600GT. When i load games like Need for speed underground, or FEAR, after a while the graphics will turn into little purple and green squares. this only happens when i'm in medium quality (for fear) and high quality for nfs. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and how could i possibly fix it. I have all up to date drivers and so forth. Not too sure how else to explain my problem, hope it helps.

Can you post a screenshot for us?

My first guess would be your graphics card is overheating. Try opening up the case and blowing a house fan on the card to see if this temporarily fixes the problem as a test.

Second guess is your power supply isn't up to the task. How many watts and who made the PSU?

Third guess is your graphics card is toast, but as it only happens after a while (and not all the time) I doubt this is the case.

Fourth guess is... I have no fourth guess. Sorry only three guesses. I wish I had four. Four guesses are so much cooler than three. Can you tell I have a day off today and some time on my hands? ;)

lol i see that, too bad no 4th guess, woulda been more helpful :haha: My PSU is 400w and i dunno who makes it. I hope my card isn't toast, i just traded in one for this. It happened to my other 6600GT but it wasnt BFG it was gigabyte (I think). Just a question do you know what i mean by the purple and green squares.

No, I don't know what you mean, which is why we need a screenshot. I am guessing you are seeing what we call "artifacts" on your screen caused by the graphics card overheating. Very common problem.

Did you try with the case open and a fan blowing on it?

Alrighty, I haven't tried the fan. But when I was tryin to get the sqaures to show, they would after like 10-15 mins of playing, but when I shrunk down to talk on msn or something they would seem to dissappear for the time being. theres the picture (hopefully it worked) I wish there were more squares but imagine the little ones taking the whole screen up..talk about annoying :dead:

Attachments

• fear.JPG
    fear.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 17
See what some others say. Sure looks/sounds like an overheat problem to me. Let us know what happens after you try with the case door open and a fan blowing on it.

Okay heres the update. I played with a fan on, no problem, i played with the case off no fan on (desk fan btw) and no problems. I would assume your guess is right with the overheat. got any suggestions on coolers (prefferably cheap ones)

Never worked with a BFG card, but they have a good reputation. Strange that the stock cooling isn't enough.

Are you sure it isn't a problem with your case fans? Are you getting good circulation in the case? Are any of your fans caked with dust (including your BFG card)?

BFG card is brand new, maybe 2 days old. My case is pretty ****ty, but i dont have the funds to get a real nice one. prolly should invest in that though. it does have bad circulation. thanks alot for the help, youve been a life saver :) and ill always come here for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back