Hackers threaten to leak upcoming 'Pirates of the Caribbean' film unless ransom is paid

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hackers have reportedly gotten their mitts on Disney’s upcoming film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and are threatening to release it on the Internet unless the studio pays a hefty ransom.

Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed the situation during a town hall meeting with ABC employees on Monday in New York City. While Iger didn’t specify which film the hackers were referring to, Deadline claims it is indeed the upcoming Johnny Depp film which is slated for theatrical release on May 26.

Iger said the hackers threatened to release a five-minute clip initially and then publish 20-minute-long increments until their demands are met (or the full movie is released, whichever comes first). The executive reportedly told town hall attendees that Disney would not pay the Bitcoin ransom and is working with federal law enforcement on the matter.

Netflix recently found itself in a similar situation.

A hacking collective called TheDarkOverlord recently managed to get its hands on several unreleased shows including the fifth season of Orange Is the New Black. The group demanded 50 Bitcoins in exchange for not leaking the Netflix original but when the streaming media giant didn’t respond to demands, the hackers made good on their promise and put the entire season online.

Permalink to story.

I could care less about the latest Pirates movie anyway. The first one was good, but it went downhill from there. Those hackers would have to pay me to watch it.

Anyways, I would guess that if that Disney wouldn't have to worry about fans of the franchise or fans of Johnny since they would probably pay to see it either way.

Let them release it on the internet then. They'll get tracked down and prosecuted... eventually. You never back down to bullies.

Let them release it on the internet then. They'll get tracked down and prosecuted... eventually. You never back down to bullies.

Except they probably won't get tracked down.... It's pretty easy to stay anonymous when releasing pirated software/movies... I'd like to see a movie studio PROVE that piracy hurts their sales - many argue that the increased publicity actually GAINS them money... As this movie is expected to flop, now they have a built in excuse - "it's because pirates pirated our pirate movie!"

Disney knows that piracy doesn't really hurt the bottom line. Not that it would say that.

2nd one was ok, not a good as the first but entertaining.
Those are the only two most people including myself are ok with.
It's a cash cow now meow brown cow.

Besides the stories going overboard on the mystical magical stuff, Johnny Depp always seems to end up getting movies to revolve around his character. He's a good actor and all but it drives me nuts. Might as well be Johnny of the Caribbean. If you don't believe go to Disney Land or Walt Disney World and ride Pirates of the Caribbean. All the dialogue has been changed to Jack Sparrow this Jack Sparrow that...

Except they probably won't get tracked down.... It's pretty easy to stay anonymous when releasing pirated software/movies... I'd like to see a movie studio PROVE that piracy hurts their sales - many argue that the increased publicity actually GAINS them money... As this movie is expected to flop, now they have a built in excuse - "it's because pirates pirated our pirate movie!"
expected to flop lol, now your making stuff up since none of the PoC have flopped.

it may not be great but it will make a lot of money. been 6 yrs since the last movie. also a lot of ppl like Depp and Disney movies do tend to do well at summer time.

Do you give a foot?
no a "Fart"
I'll have you two know, I fart at my own whim and pleasure, not yours or Disney's..:p:cool:

From time to time, I actually get up from behind a desktop to walk to the refrigerator, or pee, (and perhaps fart while I'm at it (*)) So, I still need my foot. (Er, "feet" as it were).

Now, since you only get three guesses, and the first two were wrong, why don't you two put your heads together, (a la "the Borg"), and come up with an answer which makes sense?

PS, I"m saving myself for marriage or a female human half my age. Uncle Walt is too old for me, and way dead.

(*) Also, at my age, I tend to call a successful pee, breaking wind, and a "number two", "winning the daily trifecta". Why would I waste any of that on Disney?

ALSO: Please take the time and effort to review this material at "Quora", and factor it into your nonsense that a species can be typified by a single individual, It can't, particularly as a species intellect increases, but rather should be taken as a whole:

Last edited:
expected to flop lol, now your making stuff up since none of the PoC have flopped.

it may not be great but it will make a lot of money. been 6 yrs since the last movie. also a lot of ppl like Depp and Disney movies do tend to do well at summer time.
I may have overstated a bit for effect.... the movie, however, has already been delayed 2 years, went about 70 million over budget, and recently had it's opening weekend forecast cut about 20 million... yes, it will make money... but not as much as was hoped for, and I'm sure they'll use piracy as an excuse :)

I may have overstated a bit for effect.... the movie, however, has already been delayed 2 years, went about 70 million over budget, and recently had it's opening weekend forecast cut about 20 million... yes, it will make money... but not as much as was hoped for, and I'm sure they'll use piracy as an excuse :)
If they want to keep their jobs, they certainly will.

Release it. Surely nobody wants to see that trash let alone pay to watch it.

Next time pick a better movie, you might actually have a chance of getting that ransom.

Back