Half Life 2 installation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinrusty

When I install Half life 2, after I insert the 5th disk, it says "Error 1334. The file 'counterstrike_source_shared_content.gcf' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'hl25.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package." When I explore the contents of the CD, I go into the hl25.cab file, and the file isn't in there. Is there any way I can get just this file, or do I have to buy a new copy of HL2? If I try to install the files via Steam, will I have to pay for it again? What should I do?

Ah, lucky for you there is steam.

If you download steam and create an account, you can register your copy of HL2 with the CD-key on the back of the case, and the files will be downloaded via the internet.

Hope this helps.

Try cleaning the CD with the problem file. Dirt, fingerprints or scratches can make the installer fail to read a file. I doesn't make sense that a file should be missing just from your CD. It sounds more like a reading failure.

I am having the same exact problem with my Half Life 2 game right out the box. Brand Spanking New. I have had problems with 5+ other brand new games with error and other stupid stuff like this. I am honestly getting sick and tired of buying new computer games. Even though I have hundreds of them. It is very annoying to go pay money for a game not to work. I am going to try and use steam to download the confounded game and register it with my key code. I will let you know if this works out for me. I am glad I know how to shop for my games and not pay Retail price. I would be ripped a new one. LOL. I usually pay $5- $10 for my games. Like Halo, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Conan The Hyborian Adventures, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back