Happy New Year & 2012's first tech poll

Julio Franco

Staff member

Happy New Year everyone! This has been a great year in tech, though not necessarily the most exciting in the traditional sense of the PC industry that we've been closely covering and watching over the last decade, 2011 has seen the biggest rise in mobile technology that is actually converging into that PC world, along with big hints on the future of high speed wireless communication and cloud computing services that we may be already taking advantage of.

We hope you enjoyed 2011 as much as we enjoyed bringing you the latest PC tech news, reviews and analysis. Here's to a great 2012!

Also here's our first poll of the year. Here's a shortlist of potential tech launches for 2012, which are you looking forward to the most? (you can pick up to three):

Permalink to story.

I checked Windows 8 first, because of what it will potentially do for current and future hardware. I hope Windows 8 is goooood... minus the Metro UI on my PC, yuck!

I would suggest having "Windows 8 tablets" as a separate category. Windows 8 could be successful on desktop PCs, but not on ARM devices (or vice-versa). I, personally, think it will be another "Vista" on the desktop, but probably a winner on ARM tablets.

Alos, I think it's safe to say <i>everybody</i> on TechSpot wants affordable SSDs, lol. Which is a shame for us enthusiasts, as I don't find likely that they will go down much in 2012... perhaps in another year? Or maybe a new (cheaper) technology entirely?

Ranger12 said:
Diablo III....please don't disappoint after all these years.

+1

I have been w8in for this game for quite some time.Also itv lets hope it changes the way we watch t.v. hopefully not some crap for fanboys.

One thing is for sure (so far), TechSpot readers couldn't care less about a potential Apple iTV release :)

Some people actually didn't vote for the Dismissal of SOPA? I wonder what it's like to be completely oblivious and having your freedom taken away for the gain of a few, to no end since this bill wouldn't dent piracy.

ramonsterns said:
Some people actually didn't vote for the Dismissal of SOPA? I wonder what it's like to be completely oblivious and having your freedom taken away for the gain of a few, to no end since this bill wouldn't dent piracy.

Why don't you READ before you get all indignant on us. The question was not what we hope or wish for 2012, but what we are looking forward to. Its not going to fail, those corrupt criminals in Congress will pass it.

If you feel so strongly about it, then write your local congressman, not get all butt hurt, and insult others, cause people in this completely irrelevant poll don't vote "against SOPA".

aahaha that picture above looks so like last nights Sydney Fireworks!!!

I picked cheaper SSDs (although I very much doubt that will happen), dismissal of SOPA (obviously) and new consoles. Not because I want a new console personally, but because maybe we'll see some developers actually start pushing the boundaries (of the consoles anyway) again, so we'll hopefully get some half-decent quality games. With any luck, new consoles will mean a divergence from small, simple levels, lots of repeated and low res textures, poor in-game (IE not cut-scene) dialogue and poor character models towards more realistic, immersive and deep games. Keep dreaming (oh woo, MW4 is out...)...

Really?! Windows 8 is right up there in second place at the moment? I never saw that coming...

hello ...

Happy New Year 2012 to all of you :)

affordable SSDs & Diablo III of course ! & against SOPA even if I said that it has begun ...

cheers!

gwailo247 said:

If you feel so strongly about it, then write your local congressman, not get all butt hurt, and insult others, cause people in this completely irrelevant poll don't vote "against SOPA".

Whoah, you seem upset.

ramonsterns said:
gwailo247 said:

Whoah, you seem upset.

Hung over probably, lol.

Happy new year.

Regarding the poll, some of it is speculative, some of it aren't tech launches. What I'm looking forward to are CPU and GPU launches (Ivy Bridge, Atom, whatever AMD and NVIDIA will bring) and Windows 8. In practical terms, probably Ivy Bridge is the only tech I might actually get (since "Truly affordable SSDs" probably won't arrive and aren't a tech launch), and even maybe not that.

I voted for truly affordable SSDs but no matter how prices drop on these SSDs, I still feel that they are more of niche products rather than true successors of HDDs. AMD bringing competition to the high end would be nice but rather unrealistic at this point considering how far behind Intel they are at this point.

Back