Hard Disk Drives not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to join the group and start with a problem!

It all started a few weeks ago, my computer started to have problem to boot I used to receive a message "K BOOT FAILURE INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER", I had to turn the computer off and on and once every 20 or 30 attempts I was lucky to start Windows XP. I contacted HP and they asked me to disconnect the HD and reconnect it, did not work.
HP suggested to try recovering Windows XP, but didn't work either.

I assumed the problem was the hard drive, so I bought a new Seagate 200 GB and intalled it as master and the old as a slave, to do that I had the problem of booting it, I discovered that pressing F8 (safe mode) my computer started correctly.

So installed the new disk, re-installed Windows XP, installed SP2 yesterday and today I have the same problem, but the message is different "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I have not been able to boot even with F8.

While enetring BIOS it does not recognize the HD's, and yesteday while installing Windows XP it recognized both perferctly!

Can somebody help me??????

go back to bios
make sure you have the boot order correct
remove the old drive make sure new one is ide channel 1 or sata channel 1
boot again if it boots yer ok
add the old drive boot again
depending on how you loaded OS
you may have kept the old drive as active boot and it is going bad
the above will check to see if you install the new drive right
no boot install again without old drive in machine
is this ide or sata or both??

Samstoned:

Thanks a lot! I removed the old disk and re-installed WinXP.
Now everything runs perfect, just a matter of time of re-installing but well worthed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back