Hard disk failures and paging errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,
I had a disk problem last week. I started to get disk error messages about disk0, which is I think the hd with winxp on it. My pc froze and I had to restart several times. Later the same day I started to get error messages about disk1 as well, which is my second hd.

Also, I was using a trial copy of eset internet security, which started to give error messages too. Then I noticed that one of the svchost processes running was using 20-30% of my processor, which caused my pc to lock down after a while. I didn't know what caused it all, so I wiped c: and did a clean install of winxp and later I did that with the first partition of my second hd as well.

Everything went well for a few days. A colleauge of mine gave me a copy of Norton Internet Security which has a 90 days trial period so I installed that one instead of eset.

But since yesterday my problems have returned. Disk0 is doing fine now, but disk1 seems to be malfunctioning. The second partition, on which I had a lot of important files, is not accessible anymore, but also the first partition, which I formatted last week and which was almost empty since then is giving error messages in the event viewer. The message I keep getting is that there was an error during a paging operation on disk1.

I am very puzzled. How could two disks break down at almost the exact same time? What was going on with svchost? If I had a virus how did it come back after I wiped c: clean and reinstalled windows? I never visit suspicious sites or anything, so except if someone is hacking my pc, it shouldn't be virus related. But if it is my hd's, I don't understand what could cause them both to break down or at least to malfunction. They're both about six months old. I do use them A LOT for image and especially video processing, but still, I have another hd which is two years old and still performs perfectly.

I used the western digital hard disk tool and both disks came out fine from the tests. There are no other problems with my system. If anyone could help I would appreciate it alot!

I'm thinking like everyone else, Motherboard; HDD data cables and Power Supply. Basically hardware.

Mind you, a virus can remain, if you didn't remove the partition also.

But, can you attach all your System Specs to your Profile

If this is a proprietory computer (HP, Dell others) Instead of writing in the motherboard name, better to put the computer's make and model.

Thnx for your reply. It's a custom build pc by a store.

mobo: m2n-sli deluxe
memory: 3 gb corsair, 2x512 mb + 2x1gb
hd1+hd2+hd3: all 3 wd 500 gb
video mem: nvidia 7300 gt, pci-e
winxp pro with sp2 and all updates

About half a year ago my old mobo died, which was m2n32-sli deluxe, I brought my pc back to the store and I still had my warranty. First they told me that they would order the exact same model, becoz they didn't have it in store anymore. But when I picked it up a week later they told me it wasn't the same, but one that was almost the same. Of course I asked if they had the box and user manual of the mobo they put in my pc, but they told me they didn't. I was a bit suspicious about, it could be from another pc that broke down or something.

Anyway, I also had a lot of problems with 3 hd's attached at first, but it worked out well in the end. Until last week.

I think the shop just kept the box and CD, or they truly didn't have it, you can buy them new without. So no concern.

But the concern is, that two motherboards have possibly failed.

Would you know the rating of your power supply (probably minimal) I'm still thinking that and harddrive data cables.

Well, to be honest, I messed up the previouis mother board. I wanted to put in extra memory and put one upside down, after which the motherboard could only see the first memory slot and not the other ones and it wouldn't go dual channel anymore either. So actually they were really friendly to me at the shop that they gave me mobo for free, so I never made any trouble about the slightly lower model.

When I was buying parts for my pc I especially chose a good power suppy. It was the best at that time (in the shop I bought stuff from anyway). It's a spire rocketeer 600 watt. I know there are now psu with 1000 watt or maybe even more, but I thought that was especially for when you have more than one graphics card or other power sucking devices.

Perhaps I could unplug one of my hd's, the third one for example, which didn't give any error at all, to see if it changes anything, but I'm too freaked out to touch anything at the mo.

That's cool trial and error, with swapping parts.

The PSU specs seem ok, actually a larger wattage is not ideal (strangely) they must have some loa, up to 30% usually.

Lets move ahead (although there's still the chance of faulty PSU). Data cables, HDD, cpu (ok I didn't mention CPU before!

Yeah, I forgot about the cpu too:

it's an AMD 4200+ dual channel. It's not the latest, but I don't play the latest games, so it works fine for all the stuff I use it for.

So it could also be the data cables? I have never had any trouble with those, but I guess they're not very expensive, so I could replace them when I have the chance, but except when my pc locks up, I don't have any access problems to my hd's.

It's a shame my warranty ended last june, otherwise I would've brought it to the shop again. Well, maybe I'll just do that anyway after I have salvaged my stuff from the malfunctioning hd.

I have now checked all error messages from event viewer, and now I also have errors referring to an atapi drive, it says that my ide port 3 has an error or the drivers are too old, but as far as I know, I only have two ide devices, d is my dvdrom and e is my dvdburner. This is really too weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back